Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues Reply with quote

Ever since my car returned from the garage that was fixing it I noticed a very strong smell of fuel. I couldn't locate where this was coming from and the engine connections were fine.I checked underneath it this morning and found a patch of fuel on the ground.I seems to be leaking through the floor near the left wheel..(See pictures).I checked the tank and it is virtually empty after I put fuel in it yesterday.This would probably explain the popping and backfiring issue.The fuel must have been on empty ..I hope this is going to be an easy fix as it's just one problem after another Crying or Very sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues Reply with quote

Don't despair. Old cars take some work to keep them on the road.

You're gonna have to locate that leak and sort it.
Fuel tank removal is one of the simplest operations a rookie can perform on a vintage VW. 4 13mm bolts hold down the tank to the body.
If there is a gas gauge, it's either a wire or a cable that needs to be released from the tank float mechanism.
Since the tank is almost empty, it will lift out rather easily.

You can lift the forward edge of the tank 8cm, to get a quick look under it.

Hang in there. We're here to lend a helping hand.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues Reply with quote

I will take it out tomorrow..Is it possible that it may be the connector going to the tank as I'm hoping the Tank hasn't rusted out Crying or Very sad
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues Reply with quote

Some of that damage looks old, I see what looks like rust under the peeling paint. That makes me think it might also be some brake fluid damage since it's all under the "Napoleon's hat." Classic location for master cylinder brake fluid to collect.

And by the way, that's a really strange looking pan, it doesn't look anything like a VW sheetmetal floor pan. It looks like something that was fiberglassed in. Or else there's just so much undercoating that I cannot see the ribbed floor stamping features. Could just be the pictures. Do tell if that is some kind of unusual configuration. Think
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues Reply with quote

You can remove the cover in front between the front beam tubes and take a look inside the tunnel to see if you find the leak in the fuel pipe. There are a few more places to peek in the tunnel too. My last leaker was back by the rear torsion housing.

If you have one up front it could naturally find that area to escape, because some rust in the bottom of the Napoleon's hat near the master cylinder is common (indicating there was a master cylinder leak in the past). VW suggested running a new fuel pipe through the inside of the car on the right side of the tunnel. A new line under the car is more common today. I have successfully run a new line in the tunnel with the body on and no added holes, but to do it I ran the new fuel pipe out where the older Bugs exited the choke cable.
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues Reply with quote

I pulled out the Tank and the underside was completely dry.It looks like its leaking from the pipe in the picture going into that Box part.It was wet with fuel..will this need replacing or is it just a case of tightening it up?

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues Reply with quote

You have an electric fuel pump there, and one of the threaded fittings in the pump is leaking. Reinstall it with the thread sealer of your choice, and make sure the hoses are ok, and routed away from the tie rods. Good time to check the wiring, so you know that it's fused correctly.
SD
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bad fuel leak..The Saga continues Reply with quote

Electric add on pump! Danger. make sure the pump has an automatic kill switch. In event of a bad crash the engine may stop, but unless you turn off the key switch the pump will keep pumping fuel out. If the Bugs fuel line gets busted or the car rolls on side or upside down, this will result in a big fuel spill, and maybe a fire with the pump happily pumping more fuel on the fire.
There are automatic kill switches for when you add an electric pump. The stock pump stops as soon as the engine stops, but not these electric jobs, unless the auto kill switch is installed. several types are available. some sense engine rotation mush like a tachometer, other are impact sensors, or roll,over sensors.
Stay safe, make sure she has an automatic kill switch. dont burn alive in a wreck where you might become unable to get out in time!
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Bad fuel leak Reply with quote

I hope you have it all sorted out by now ? .

REPLACE the fuel hose before it catches your car on fire, no kidding .

There are more fuel hoses in the engine compartment and under neath the back end of the car, they all need changing every ten years at least .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: