Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No oil pressure after oil change and other work
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
RLFD213 wrote:
Instead of returning the drag link socket why don’t you stick it in your ass. You said you tested the the oil sending unit. You didn’t say what oil pressure the system had. Since you’re such a fucking know it all. I guess you probably don’t need this forum anymore.

A little over the top abusive. Don't ya think?

And I've been accused of being overly ^$@#%^&*&%#@#%^&%$## direct !!! RLFD213 - you win !!!

Cusser wrote:
I also think you should prime the oil lines, remove coil wire, crank the engine. I'm thinkin' something simple here.

Mitey62 wrote:
'74's method of backfilling and turning the engine over backwards to prime the pump did the trick, thanks!

Great - you got it !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:
Instead of returning the drag link socket why don’t you stick it in your ass. You said you tested the the oil sending unit. You didn’t say what oil pressure the system had. Since you’re such a fucking know it all. I guess you probably don’t need this forum anymore.
You are a douche bag, I am also so I know.
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:

I tested the oil pressure switch in the crankcase (as per post #1...) just to make sure it was making/breaking contact with a bit of air pressure. I don't have an oil pressure gauge on hand, or else I obviously would have tried that... and posted the info.

Whenever I'm asking for help, I try to be as thorough as possible, giving any information that I think may be pertinent to my situation. I realize that diagnosing other peoples' issues and to offer help to complete strangers takes time and effort, which I greatly appreciate!

Comments like this one... not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

Good to hear it worked out man!

$38 for a drag link socket? I think i paid $8.99 for one last year Shocked

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

I cut a groove in a socket, jammed in a torsion leaf, welded on ends, works great.
So if you narrow your beam.....save the pieces, oil relief tools for everybody.
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

[quote="Mitey62"]It's amazing that some people don't read posts before offering "help". Drumbum, post #1 says the oil line from the pump was bone dry. RLFD, post #1 says I tested the oil pressure switch.

'74's method of backfilling and turning the engine over backwards to prime the pump did the trick, thanks!

Looks like I can go return the drag link socket I bought from NAPA... for $38! Shocked I'm all for having tools "just in case", but not this one, not today!

I've never had this issue before in all of the oil changes that I've done on this car over the last decade or so. I can only assume that because it sat for a week or so with the oil drain out, and the oil filter hoses disconnected from the engine, that it just drained more completely than it usually would with a typical 10 minute oil change.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uhmmmmm......

I can read,.....and have comprehension.

You must have a wore out pump to have to jump through hoops to get it to prime......or sumthin

Saying the hose was bone dry doesn't mean you did what I suggested.....kinda SOP with a new engine
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

On Amazon the drag link sockets are about $20, but this particular NAPA is super good to me, and very knowledgeable. Either way, it's going back tomorrow. I got my new TIG torch a day early, so I'll probably fab up a simple one just for fun this weekend so it's already in the box if I ever need it.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

Trade it in for a 1/2 inch drive impact screwdriver. You will find many uses for it.
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

I've already got one, good idea though
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No oil pressure after oil change and other work Reply with quote

Mitey62 wrote:
I've already got one, good idea though
Its my go-to for large or stuck slotted or phillips head fasteners or caps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: