Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

Looking to buy a cordless Dremel rotary tool for all kinds of work and repairs (eg. rust) on the Syncro. Can anyone recommend one over the other? TIA.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

My corded dremel finally died after years of use. I replaced brushes and it still had issues.

I went with the cordless, brushless 8250. I like it a lot, but haven't put many miles on it to recommend it. https://www.dremel.com/us/en/p/8250-5-f0138250aa

My only complaint is that Milwaukee tools and Dremel both have the physical shaped battery, but they have different electrical pinouts on their batteries. I wish we lived in a world where things were more universal.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

I have a couple corded dremel tools and they can only do light work in my experience, a battery version would be less capable. Their best grinding wheels are thin and can disintegrate on use, have had it happen many times.
A regular size angle grinder is a lot more capable, an 1/8" cutting wheel is way more durable than a reinforced dremel wheel.
Not the answer to your question but that is what I have found.
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

Milwaukee makes an m12 powered rotary tool that is way sturdier than anything dremel makes. Variable speed and the m12 battery last forever on a charge.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

I agree Dremel type rotary tools are light duty, but because they are so small they are still at times the best choice.

If you already have a cordless system, see if they make a rotary tool. That way you are using the batteries and charger you already have.

I have a corded Dremel and also the Milwaukee m12 cordless rotary tool, which is usually the one I reach for when I need to do some precision task that is too light/fussy for my angle grinder.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

Yeah, like others, I would recommend either the Milwaukee 2485 (right angle) or 2486 (straight) 1/4" grinder.

In most cases, the 2485 (right angle) grinder will be more versatile. You can use it with cut-off wheels, carbide burrs, Roloc disks, wire wheels, etc. However, there are cases where the 2486 (straight) grinder would be easier to handle when using things like carbide burrs or wire wheels.

If I had to choose one, I think I would go with the versatility of the 2485, but open to having to purchase the 2486 should a job come up that warrants it.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Looking to buy a cordless Dremel rotary tool for all kinds of work and repairs (eg. rust) on the Syncro. Can anyone recommend one over the other? TIA.

Rust repair with a Dremel tool? I hope that means your van has a lot less rust than my van does. Wink The other day I used a corded Dremel too to clean grounds and cutoff two screws and it was perfect for reaching into constricted places so a cordless Dremel is a great tool to have. For much more an angle grinder will save a lot of time. Sorry i can't recommend a cordless version.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

Right now I have just a small spot of rust I want to use a wire wheel on. Nothing major at all, but if I'm going to buy a tool, I want to look at the bigger picture and 'down the road' versatility.

Thanks for all the inputs everybody.

jimf909 wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:

Rust repair with a Dremel tool? I hope that means your van has a lot less rust than my van does. Wink The other day I used a corded Dremel too to clean grounds and cutoff two screws and it was perfect for reaching into constricted places so a cordless Dremel is a great tool to have. For much more an angle grinder will save a lot of time. Sorry i can't recommend a cordless version.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

The thing about cordless tools is the battery type. Once you go in, you might as well go all in on one type of battery. In my case I went with Makita, so most of my cordless tools are Makita. I kinda wish I'd of gone with Milwaukee, but it's possible to get adapters which allow different battery types to fit other brand tools.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

mitch5 wrote:
Milwaukee makes an m12 powered rotary tool that is way sturdier than anything dremel makes. Variable speed and the m12 battery last forever on a charge.

I also have the Milwaukee M12 and highly recommend it. Especially if you have other M12 tools. The right angle die grinder looks like a great tool, but I just have the smaller rotary tool.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12V-Lith.../203111683
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

The best would be to run an extension cord.
I have a cordless dremel...... whimpy little thing!

Some tools just really need line voltage to do a good job........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The thing about cordless tools is the battery type. Once you go in, you might as well go all in on one type of battery. In my case I went with Makita, so most of my cordless tools are Makita. I kinda wish I'd of gone with Milwaukee, but it's possible to get adapters which allow different battery types to fit other brand tools.

As a Milwaukee user, I wish I had gone Ryobi. I feel like Milwaukee has 30% more performance for 100% more cost.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

First time I have ever heard someone use the R word as something other than an insult Laughing
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I still have my Makita 9.6V set from the late 80's. More of a collectors item now. At that time, they were the only cordless tool maker.

I agree with Dave on the need for a cord. Also, Harbor Freight sells a good copy - I just bought a complete set for around $25 with all the little pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I still have my Makita 9.6V set from the late 80's. More of a collectors item now. At that time, they were the only cordless tool maker.

I agree with Dave on the need for a cord. Also, Harbor Freight sells a good copy - I just bought a complete set for around $25 with all the little pieces.

I inherited a 9.6v right angle drill from my grandfather. Then last year I picked up two free 9.6v drills. They're nice for small projects in my basement shop, but the 18v stuff is used out here where the real work gets done. I don't have any complaints regarding any of my Makita tools.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

It's not just the voltage, Ni-Cad doesn't hold a candle to Li-Ion.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

Honestly, an angle grinder is a far better tool for body repair than a Dremel!

Small tools like that simply lack the power and size that an angle grinder provides.

The Dremel is a specialized small project tool, sure it has its uses in body work now and then but not all that frequently.

And there are some darn nice 20volt cordless angle grinders on the market today.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

I’ll toss my opinion in to the mix.

I use both my dremel and angle grinder when I’ve done rust repair. Angle grinder for the major cutting and grinding, dremel for the impossible to reach corners. I wouldn’t have been able to grind everything off nicely without the dremel. There are new cutoff wheels out as of a few years ago that are quick replace. They work EXTREMELY well. They don’t break all the time and they cut super well. I used them for some precision grinding as well. I’ve probably used 30 of them and not one has shattered.

When I moved across the country for a year with my job I knew I wasn’t doing any major work or projects, but I brought my dremel. I used it often while tinkering and just cutting small things. I even shined up a coin to give to someone. I got the dremel 20 years ago as a birthday present from my grandparents and it’s still going strong. If it were battery powered I’m not sure that I could say the same.

An angle grinder is extremely powerful and a great tool. Cutoff wheels, flap disk, and grinder wheels all have their own uses and are amazing. I couldn’t imagine a life without the angle grinder. It just has so much power and is a great tool.

Both of my tools are not battery powered. Milwaukee has a battery angle grinder that seems to work well. For the grinder and dremel I don’t mind chords. Prevents me from having to recharge batteries all the time. However for my Milwaukee impact wrench, I went with the battery powered version. Battery lasts forever and it has a ton of power. But it also only gets used for seconds at a time, so the battery doesn’t get recharged often at all.

TL;DR: buy both. Buy these chorded and never worry about a battery for these two.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

OlisGarage wrote:
An angle grinder is extremely powerful and a great tool. Cutoff wheels, flap disk, and grinder wheels all have their own uses and are amazing. I couldn’t imagine a life without the angle grinder. It just has so much power and is a great tool.

Both of my tools are not battery powered. Milwaukee has a battery angle grinder that seems to work well. For the grinder and dremel I don’t mind chords. Prevents me from having to recharge batteries all the time. However for my Milwaukee impact wrench, I went with the battery powered version. Battery lasts forever and it has a ton of power. But it also only gets used for seconds at a time, so the battery doesn’t get recharged often at all.

TL;DR: buy both. Buy these chorded and never worry about a battery for these two.

18v battery powered angle grinder doesn't spin as fast nor have the power of a corded angle grinder.
As such ----> is much safer than the corded.
Whether you need that extra power depends what is the job at-hand.
On a Van.....I highly DOUBT you will ever need more power than an 18v battery unit.

I have most of my tools both corded and 18v (all Makita).

It wouldn't be a stretch to say "once a year" I unwrap a cord.
Battery tools rule.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I have all Makita too, but Makita does not make a "Dremel".
I have an old corded Dremel unit (30 years old?).
I want a modern battery-dremel.
For dremel work I don't want to be tethered anymore.

With my luck I'd buy a Milwaukee dremel then Makita will start to produce one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Best all-around Cordless Dremel for Van work Reply with quote

There isn't a job in the world that can't be made worse with a good Dremel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: