Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

There are many threads here where T4 owners of late T4 engines have a delay getting oil pressure when the car has been sitting. This occurs on new and used engines. The proposal I made 10 years ago is that once air gets into the over pressure return loop on a late case, it aerates the oil, which in turn causes the oil pump to cavitate. The work around was to start the bus, let it run 3 or 4 seconds, shut it off, wait 7 - 10 seconds and do it again. Usually one had oil pressure in 8 - 12 seconds of run time. However if the engine was just allowed to run, the oil could take 25 seconds or more to come up to pressure. Early cases dumped the excess oil into the sump. On a late case it circulates round and round thru the pump and cooler until it gets used. On a late case, over time sitting, the oil drains out of that port just enough to let air replace enough of it to cause the cavitation.

On my last two engine builds, I decided to seal the return area case halves, being careful not to use so much sealant that it could end up in the oil flow to the pump. This morning was the big test. The old GD engine used to take the normal 25 seconds to get oil pressure when it had been sitting, unless I did the start - stop - wait - start thing. Today I started the engine after sitting 3 weeks and only 4 - 5 seconds to get pressure, totally within reason for an engine that has been sitting almost a month.

You can see the return port on a late case in the image below. When you build an engine with this style case, be sure to seal that oval between case halves. Also be sure to use an oil filter with a return check valve. Any air that gets into that port will get sucked round and round causing the pump to cavitate.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Takamotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

Good info, thanks. Never noticed it before (have the same TM info in german) that they say "after relief valve" , I thought these engine cases were always without the second pressure valve?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

Takamotti wrote:
Good info, thanks. Never noticed it before (have the same TM info in german) that they say "after relief valve" , I thought these engine cases were always without the second pressure valve?
no, the earlier ones had two relief valves. Both dumped back to the sump. Oil in the sump would be cooler on an earlier engine but hotter in the gallery. Later engines were designed to keep the oil being used as cool as possible at or above the thermostat.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Takamotti wrote:
no, the earlier ones had two relief valves. Both dumped back to the sump. Oil in the sump would be cooler on an earlier engine but hotter in the gallery. Later engines were designed to keep the oil being used as cool as possible at or above the thermostat.

Good work!

An important point....the 2nd relief on the earlier case is NOT a relief valve. Its actually the main oil pressure control valve.

Its the equivalent of having your thumb over the end of the garden hose...with the oil pump being the equivalent of the water supply valve on the wall. As another example its also the equivalent of the FPR regulator in your fuel injection ring main. Its the farthest point from the fuel pump where the restriction is applied to actually produce pressure.

However this oil control valve....this 2nd relief valve.... does have its own issues. They may not be as bad as what you are seeing with the leakage of that oval port but they are the same symptom and can be that bad. Once I get the final assembly done on this 1.8L I have a minor modification to try that "may" fix its issue.

The problem is that as noted....its at the end of the line and IS where the restriction is applied to produce pressure. Its really a check valve. It is the pressure producer in the system....with all other users of oilpressure ....bearings, lifters, rockers etc....simply being "Tee's" off of the pressure line between the pump and the check valve.

BUT...unlike the check valve action you get from your fuel pressure regulator where once you shut down....the spring pressure allows fuel to bypass until it reaches equilibrium....and therefore keeps a nominal amount of static pressure on the line......the spring loaded plunger and is shaped so it cannot actually SEAL the orifice that leads back into the sump.

This same lack of sealing and ability to keep the main under pressure is a good portion of the reason why when you are at lower rpm ...producing lower oil volume....in an engine with a bit of wear (meaning a lot more leakage between pump and control valve).....we see the inability of the system to keep high enough or uniform oil pressure.

A quick way to see/illustrate that this is the problem......try this on a relatively normal engine with some miles, some bearing wear, some bearing/oil tolerances that while on the large side are still in spec......is to actually plug this hole at the 2nd "relief valve" with a rod and no spring......and you see that the low rpm oil pressure issues GREATLY improve....but likewise you will get excessively high oil pressures at high rpm and when cold.

Its a lack of control resolution because its just a flat plunger trying to plug a round hole.

I think the spring pressure is fine on this 2nd valve. The plunger length is fine....but the tip of the plunger needs to be a "ball" shape with a seat around the hole that is lightly ground to fit that ball. It needs to be a ball check valve essentially.

What it will cause is that even though oil will drain back in certain areas lower in the chain....the main galleys attached to that control valve will not readily drain down if that control valve can actually seal when oil pressure ceases at shutdown. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

Ray - on the late case the issue is that as the oil drains down to the sump it sucks air into that passage slowly. Then instead of the air getting ejected, it goes back into the pump and froths causing the pump to cavitate for lack of a better word.

The pressure relief valve used to dump into the sump so any air was ejected. In the last cases VW routed that dump back to the oil pump inlet so any air being ejected goes right back into the pump pickup, upstream (closer) to the pump than the pickup tube.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

Huh. Did not know this.

My early 1.7l case takes maybe 5-6 seconds to build pressure after sitting for awhile. You can really tell in the sound once the pressure comes in. My dash light and pressure gauge both confirm at the same time.

I thought I had read here that 1-2 seconds was normal and I always wondered why mine took 5-6 seconds. I was worried something was wrong.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

Don't have much experience with the later cases, as for my own engines I have mostly kept with 1800 cases and parts. However I learned long ago that on hard turns and steep side hills you can see your oil pressure drop if you are running the recommended amount of oil in the sump, so for most of the 1/2 million miles I have driven a Type 4 engine I have kept an extra quart of oil in the sump. Outside of having to raise whatever side I am adjusting the valves on slightly to keep oil from running out, I have not found that it causes any problem. I would suspect an extra quart of oil it would help with the problem SG Kent is talking about.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ray - on the late case the issue is that as the oil drains down to the sump it sucks air into that passage slowly. Then instead of the air getting ejected, it goes back into the pump and froths causing the pump to cavitate for lack of a better word.

The pressure relief valve used to dump into the sump so any air was ejected. In the last cases VW routed that dump back to the oil pump inlet so any air being ejected goes right back into the pump pickup, upstream (closer) to the pump than the pickup tube.

Yes....the "control valve" did have that benefit of ene ting air upstream of the oil pump. But it also had the issue of allowing the oil up in the highest passages to rapidly bleed down because it's not a "check valve". It's an open air hole at the tail end of the oil system. Once oil pressure ceases.....oil drains back down to the level of the oil in the case.

Ralph Wiggam.....yes.....though you have a rock solid oil pump in your early case.....which greatly helps this whole issue,.....with many miles and several rebuilds, virtually all of us have rod side clearances and lifter bore tolerances that are up in the 50-75% of maximum allowable. These things along with the lack of a total seal at the far end of the oil circuit....will end up having slightly excessive pressurization times on start up.

Even with this "control valve" being the way it is by design.....when these engines were brand new with "best" tolerances everywhere else in the oil pressure chain.....they were only about 2-3 seconds to attain pressure at first crank.

My first 411 had 55,000 miles on it when I got it and was very well cared for. Oil light went out in the first Rev or two of the starter...even before the engine caught. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Yes....the "control valve" did have that benefit of ene ting air upstream of the oil pump. But it also had the issue of allowing the oil up in the highest passages to rapidly bleed down because it's not a "check valve". It's an open air hole at the tail end of the oil system. Once oil pressure ceases.....oil drains back down to the level of the oil in the case.

Ralph Wiggam.....yes.....though you have a rock solid oil pump in your early case.....which greatly helps this whole issue,.....with many miles and several rebuilds, virtually all of us have rod side clearances and lifter bore tolerances that are up in the 50-75% of maximum allowable. These things along with the lack of a total seal at the far end of the oil circuit....will end up having slightly excessive pressurization times on start up.

Even with this "control valve" being the way it is by design.....when these engines were brand new with "best" tolerances everywhere else in the oil pressure chain.....they were only about 2-3 seconds to attain pressure at first crank.

My first 411 had 55,000 miles on it when I got it and was very well cared for. Oil light went out in the first Rev or two of the starter...even before the engine caught. Ray

My 1971 bus type 1 engine had oil pressure before the engine even caught. The late cases do not. However by sealing the case halves together for the passage, that stopped that area from filling with air, and causing the excessive 20 -25 second delay when these late engines had been sitting for weeks. There are a lot of threads here in the bay forum with the issue. It might not have happened on a new case that was totally unblemished but with chaffing, popping them apart a couple times, just the tiniest gap allows air in slowly.

Over filling a crankcase can cause excessive aeration of the oil, hot oil, loss of power and excessive bearing wear if the height is such that the crank is hitting it. If it is below the crank then all is Ok. I have never seen an oil pressure drop on a curve unless the oil was a quart low.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Over filling a crankcase can cause excessive aeration of the oil, hot oil, loss of power and excessive bearing wear if the height is such that the crank is hitting it. If it is below the crank then all is Ok. I have never seen an oil pressure drop on a curve unless the oil was a quart low.

I got over 250K miles out of my last 1800 rebuild and ran every mile of it with an extra quart of oil in the engine. A second without oil pressure in a turn or on a steep slope is an engine killer, whereas since the extra quart fully fits in the sump there is no worry about the crank hitting it and if anything the aeration is less as the oil gets to settle in the sump for about 33% longer.

The crank showed zero wear, and the cylinders had so little wear that there were still some honing marks visible at the top of the ring travel.

The cam in 250K miles had only lost about 0.020" in lift measure at the lobe.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

Mike I don't question that your buses are really special. But I do know that if oil gets up to the level of the crankshaft, the oil becomes like a taffy wrapped around the crankshaft. It froths, it heats up. That is why some high performance cars use dry sumps, or if wet sump they use a windage tray. Late racers even put scrapers on the crankshafts to wipe oil off it. That frothing and taffy creation of the oil makes heat, puts air into the oil and robs horsepower.

I made this post for people trying to solve the lag getting oil pressure on a late bay. Adding thinner oil, an extra quart did not solve it. Many of the people who had the problem sold their buses and moved on a long time ago, just like I plan to soon. Just thought I would leave a fix for future bus owners who have the issue. I am glad you get a million miles out of brakes, clutches, and engines.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

I always prime my T1 engines if they have been sitting. Could doing that possibly help prevent this issue in a T4?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Start Up Oil Pressure Lag - Fixed it Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I always prime my T1 engines if they have been sitting. Could doing that possibly help prevent this issue in a T4?

priming put oil on the bearings but it does not solve the time to build oil pressure issue. Once air is in that passage it has to be forced out before the pump will build pressure.

I know that for a fact. I built a priming device and it did not help one bit.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: