Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low down Hillbilly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Seats look so well done! So... how comfortable are they, at least while the buggy is still stationary?

How did you learn of the process of the leather forming and stretching for the cushions?
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

I expect the seats will be a trade off as they fit a style rather than focus on absolute comfort. I'm sure trips of 30 = 60 minutes (at a time) will be fine, my wife and I are not large people so these feel good so far. The car is mainly for around town, car shows, cruises, etc. I learned most of the ideas/technics necessary by researching using Google and Youtube. People make molded leather catch-all trays, etc from molded leather, I just turned it up to eleven!
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Nearly finished with the battery tray. It will be using a truck-sized side post battery which will reduce the chances of accidental shorts from dropped tools, etc. The upright chrome tubes will be shortened to fit the new battery. I decided to use brass wing nuts/washers for a touch of nostalgia. With the passenger seat pulled back almost contacting the battery my feet can't reach the bulkhead.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Body is back off again for another round of fabrication. Currently working on the rear sub frames, steering support and gas tank mounts. Happy 3 wheelin' Friday!

[/img]
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

The weather in my corner of BC is nearly warm enough for me to start repairing the body. The 1.5" x 1.5" angle iron will form a brace for the body as well as the inside lip of the cover for the air ride components. I had originally set it up to run a turbo charged, intercooled Suzuki drive train, but decided to revert back to the more nostalgic air-cooled VW. Previously, areas were cut out to clear the mid-engine drive train and instrument cluster, but will now be filled in and tidied-up.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Finishing off the rest of the fabrication on the beam. Air shocks were relocated 2" at the top rather than grinding control arms for clearance. Also, pic of how I installed u-joint into column by shortening the collapsible section. A local machinist welded a stub from Cip1 onto the stock VW input shaft, I welded a second one into the end of the column and used their u-joint.

KyoteII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

looking good!

what u joint is that that fits directly on to the steering box i havent been able to find one super beetle?
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Don't just look at the pics, read the text (lol). As previously stated, I had a machinist weld a stub onto the input shaft of the stock VW steering box (after I removed it from the steering box of course). When I shortened the collapsible part of the steering column, I cut off the end that bolts through the rag joint which left a hole, I inserted another stub into the end of the column and welded it together. The two stubs and u-joint were purchased from Cip1, I'm sure you can buy these parts lots of places online. Seems to work perfectly so far.
https://www.cip1.ca/c26-425-160/ x1
https://www.cip1.ca/c26-425-164/ x2

Hope that helps.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

I picked up a universal engine stand on sale at Canadian Tire and a Scat VW stand from Cip1 for about $230cdn + taxes/both. I noticed beforehand they fit together with 2 3/8" mounts, I further welded a nut/bolt on the base to make the rotation infinitely adjustable. I have no excuse not to clean-up, dress-up and ready my crusty 1600dp now.

I originally intended to run a turbo changed, intercooled, 3 cylinder Suzuki setup with a 5 speed (forgive the photoshopped bodywork/bottom). After restarting the project I decided to revert to the VW powertrain, so now have to put everything back the way it was, plus updates.

Last edited by OCD Garage on Mon May 08, 2023 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

First layer of fiberglass is on and things are taking shape. Still needs a few more layers of fiberglass in the low spots, then a couple more over the top to add additional rigidity to the panels. There's lots of work to be done to bring this old shell back to where it should be. There appears to have been 2 sets of turn signal locations, holes for mirrors, various gauges, non-VW windshield wiper spacing, rear mud flap mounts, a few holes drilled for no apparent reason at all, plus the usual dings and chips from hard use. I also plan to delete the fiberglass windshield frame from the top so I can go topless.

KyoteII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

perfect thank you for the info i totally missed that in the description!

keep it up!
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

No problem! I searched and searched but could find no other way to add a u-joint without spending a huge sum of money. In the scope of things, the parts are not expensive, I may have been able to weld the stub onto the steering box shaft but I'd rather not have to explain how I did it myself (if it came apart) to the insurance company. The other end was no problem, not like the shaft has to be perfect, it's not a fast moving driveshaft.
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Repairing more holes as part of the ongoing restoration of the shell.

[/img]
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Cowl had holes for a set of Beetle turn signals as well as down on the front fenders at one point and the windshield wiper spacing was not from a Beetle. I've read the wipers from an Austin Mini were commonly used as it also has a short, narrow windshield with 2 wiper arms.

A shot from underneath. I had to wire wheel a lot of soft undercoating to get to the fiberglass for these repairs.

Lots of holes in the front of the tub to fill. Can't imagine what was bolted into them all.

Very few low spots left on the face of the dash. I may be able to block sand most out or at least a skim coat of Dura-Glass should finish it.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Small update: the cowl is bolted on, the wiper support mount is glassed in and the body is back on the chassis. Plan is to mark the location of the air ride switches/gauge and GPS speedo to be cut out. The dash face is only in 36 grit finish here, a good block sanding should get the last low spots. The dash opening for the steering column will need to be re-shaped before it can be mounted again. I'll likely add a flange to the front bulk head as a pass through for the column and put a leather shifter boot over it as a seal. Don't let all those holes worry you, there'll only be five gauges and a speedo.

You can still see a few of the holes through the fiberglass. Of course, some of the shapes are from me drawing the patches with a black sharpie. The rear mounting flange was cut too narrow and originally the mounting holes were right on the edge and broken, so I widened it about 3/4" all the way across. There were extra mounting holes around the tub needing to be filled and the driver's side lower rear corner of the tub was cracked/weathered, along with the mid section flange on the passenger side. Battery tucks in nice and tight, leaving room for the roll bar on the outer side, later in the build. Slowly getting there.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Holes for gauges/switches in process today. The speedo opening needs to be about 1/2"-3/4" larger in diameter and the steering column opening needs trimming. Alternately I could drop the column about 1/4" so the cowl bolts down correctly. The bottom edge above the switches needs to be trimmed flush and the silver rimmed air ride gauge painted black to match the others.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Finished trimming around the steering column, now the cowl bolts on again without issues. Also trimmed the lower centre dash where the air ride switches and gauge are.

Once everything is bolted down tight with the roof and windshield in place, it may require trimming the speedo opening as the cowl/dash will likely flex, changing the location slightly. I've got the roof on now, trying to figure out my next move with the windshield modifications.

OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

I had to re-arrange my workshop this weekend, so decided to take a few progress pics in the sunshine.

Wraith04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Looking good
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Low down Hillbilly Reply with quote

Thanks. I've not made a lot of progress on the buggy since the previous pics, but it's nice to be able to see it from more than a couple of feet away again. i'll be upgrading the windshield/roof next most likely. The window looks too small and the huge rubber gasket doesn't help, I'd like to have it glue in like a regular car. I've been busy dong some upgrades to our tear drop in preparation for camping.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: