Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Making my 1961 Riviera syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

I can see some big fog/driving lights in the future Cool
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

Seriously impressive. I admire you guys that envision things like a sliding spare tire rack tray and make it reality, with a level of craftsmanship that makes it look like you've built 100 of them in the past.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Seriously impressive. I admire you guys that envision things like a sliding spare tire rack tray and make it reality, with a level of craftsmanship that makes it look like you've built 100 of them in the past.

^^This.

Bad ass rig you've created!!
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Ho Lee Chit. Nicely done.

I second that !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
may i ask what you do for a living? because you seem to have unlimited fabrication and mechanical skills. very impressive , not one for conversions but consider me " a convert " Smile

I have a pretty normal construction job. 🤷🏻‍♂️

While pulling the kids on their sleds I spotted something that I probably shouldn’t attempt to go through and immediately decided to give it a shot.
Sunk and stuck, popped out the traction boards locked the diff and it crawled right out. Man I love this thing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That experience did convince me that I should probably add a winch to this so that’s my next little project.

mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

freaking awesome !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

What a bad ASS ! Keep on with the keep on ! This will definitely inspire some new threads . Keep us hooked with updates please ! Applause
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

I try not to overload the forum too much but I’ll add here and there.
Have a good challenging camp scheduled this spring with a group of buses
Should be a good time and I’ll share the adventure here.

Picture just because 😂
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

Cool
LowOrks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

HEy!!

I think now i wanna do the same thing to my split.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

what a monster. cant wait to see this one in person
LowOrks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:
Starting to feel like a whole bus again. Lots and lots of back and forth, up and down, side to side, cut, grind bend and trim but I’ll try not to overload this thread

You should have!!!! Very Happy
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

Nice, very nice! Did you do anything to the WBX before installing? What did you do for heat as I see you are out in the snow?
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It’s been pretty fun so far. Forgot about the split hunch while driving so that is taking some getting used to again.

For heat I have it set up under the front floor and it flows into the og heat tube, under the rear bed is another heater core/fan set up. Plus an eberspacher in the battery box under the driver.

I had to do just a couple of little modifications to the engine but nothing really worth noting.

LowOrks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

Do you think there's enough room under for the transmission to narrow the frame 2 more inches? And maybe narrow the stance 2inches too..?
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

LowOrks wrote:
Do you think there's enough room under for the transmission to narrow the frame 2 more inches? And maybe narrow the stance 2inches too..?

It’s not impossible but would create quite a few more challenges. If I do it again I’ll probably look for a late split and consider raising the rear wheel arches and just get as much benefit as possible from wheel offset/live with the tires protruding from the body.

Maybe.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

killer skills man. Really nice work.

Quick question, out of curiosity, what would you have attached the winch cable to when you were stuck in the ditch?

Doesn't look like much was around you.

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

don.ville wrote:
killer skills man. Really nice work.

Quick question, out of curiosity, what would you have attached the winch cable to when you were stuck in the ditch?

Doesn't look like much was around you.

My wife also had her Syncro out there. We had some climbing rope that we tried to use before the ramps but it didn’t help.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

Thats too cool.
And Gold Syncros rule too.

That's a different BBQ grille than I'm accustomed to seeing at our WA campgrounds.
You Van folks in Utah must be dyin to get out there!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
LowOrks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Making my 1961 Riviera syncro Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:
LowOrks wrote:

It’s not impossible but would create quite a few more challenges. If I do it again I’ll probably look for a late split and consider raising the rear wheel arches and just get as much benefit as possible from wheel offset/live with the tires protruding from the body.

Maybe.

Hi!
Good!! I already listed them, also considering raising the frame to align with the og bedfloor. I took some measurements and think about narrrowing the frame 122mm which is about 6inches.
You didn't keep the split's rear wheel arches? i dont remember...

Thx
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: