Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AO Lithium 100 Ah battery
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanityLovesCompany
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: AO Lithium 100 Ah battery Reply with quote

Has anyone installed this under the driver's seat of the EV or EVC?

FYI, they are on sale. The 100 Ah battery is available for $449 plus shipping.

https://aolithium.com/products/12v100ah-lithium-lifepo4-battery

It has the dimemsions of 12” L x 6.9" W x 7.4" H, so it *should* fit under the driver's seat of the Eurovan.

I had a disaster with the lead acid battery. I bought my van in 2016. The fridge and lights worked for a while, then stopped.

A couple of years ago, I checked the battery and it had cracked and leaked acid all over. The carpet around the battery tray also disintegrated, just from the fumes!

I feel like spending $1000 to upgrade from a lead battery is overkill, but I really like the specs on LiFePO4 batteries.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: AO Lithium 100 Ah battery Reply with quote

I have had the AO lithium in my EVC for about a year now and it has been working great, the only gripe I have is the built in bluetooth battery monitor
SOC is not very accurate. I also upgraded the DC to DC charger and AC/DC charger at the same time. schematic below, only chage made is adding a jumper across the terminals on the OEM isolator:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VanityLovesCompany
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: AO Lithium 100 Ah battery Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that!

So it looks like you used the lower diagram and not the upper diagram?

I see you used the Victron DC-DC charger. What did you replace the Magnetek controller with?

Also, did you upgrade the wire guage and/or the alternator? I still have original/stock everything--except for no battery at all under the driver's seat!
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AO Lithium 100 Ah battery Reply with quote

The upper diagram was to preserve the Magnetek and less work for me to dig deeper to remove it. In the end I decided to remove the Magnetek to make room for the Victron DC/DC charger and a simple Battery Tender 4amp lithium charger. The AC/DC charger is for home charging, usually I plug it in 12 to 24 hours before a trip to cool down the fridge, so a low amp unit is just fine.

The Eurovan Camper has wiring capable of supporting up to 40 amps, I choose the 30 amp DC/Dc unit so I can reuse the existing wiring. All these equipment is located behind the driver side rear wheel, not under the driver's seat.

VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: AO Lithium 100 Ah battery Reply with quote

Prices keep dropping on these and more options available. Another low-cost LiFePO4 option. This one will warm itself if the temps fall below freezing.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/CHINS-12V-100Ah-LiFePO4-Lithium-Battery-516660.html
But probably too big to fit under driver's seat.

The 50Ah battery is ~$200 and would fit more easily
https://www.geekbuying.com/item/CHINS-12V-100Ah-LiFePO4-Lithium-Battery-516660.html
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AO Lithium 100 Ah battery Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
I have had the AO lithium in my EVC for about a year now and it has been working great, the only gripe I have is the built in bluetooth battery monitor
SOC is not very accurate. I also upgraded the DC to DC charger and AC/DC charger at the same time. schematic below, only chage made is adding a jumper across the terminals on the OEM isolator:

Since you have a DC to DC charger, do you really still need the solenoid to trigger the junction between the starter and house battery bank? I ask because I'm in the middle of installing a bank of two 100AH lithium batteries with a DC to DC charger and I've seen that most folks forgo the solenoid, since the charger essentially serves that purpose.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AO Lithium 100 Ah battery Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Since you have a DC to DC charger, do you really still need the solenoid to trigger the junction between the starter and house battery bank? I ask because I'm in the middle of installing a bank of two 100AH lithium batteries with a DC to DC charger and I've seen that most folks forgo the solenoid, since the charger essentially serves that purpose.

Yes, I have since bypassed the isolation solenoid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: