Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Vert Rear Window Latch
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: 1970 Vert Rear Window Latch Reply with quote

This is my first Ghia convertible and a total newbie. I did a search but did not see this issue, apologies in advance.

The rear window latch for the glass is in new condition but doesn't quite "over center" enough to keep the latch closed--it pops loose. Or if I get it to stay, first bump in the road the latch springs open. Seems like there should be an adjustment. Is this a common issue?
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Vert Rear Window Latch Reply with quote

henrym wrote:
This is my first Ghia convertible and a total newbie. I did a search but did not see this issue, apologies in advance.

The rear window latch for the glass is in new condition but doesn't quite "over center" enough to keep the latch closed--it pops loose. Or if I get it to stay, first bump in the road the latch springs open. Seems like there should be an adjustment. Is this a common issue?

Can't wait to see the answer. I have the exact same issue.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Vert Rear Window Latch Reply with quote

henrym wrote:

When you say not “over center” what do you mean?
The latch mechanism is two pieces. The piece which is located on the rear bow and the piece on the glass. The bow piece is complex. But basically there is a bar which receives the hook shape part of the glass piece. Once the hook is on the bar it will stay up unless it is disturbed. You have to then flip the bow piece up which puts tension on it and locks the hook into place. Are you able to do that? If you can yet it still fails to lock, then the latch is likely busted. Pictures would help a lot.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: