Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me remove this AC condenser please!!!
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

I have a 1970 Ghia convertible that apparently has the remnants of an AC in it. I can see a condenser that is mounted very tightly under the front torsion bars but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get it out. I'd leave it in but it blocks the hose hole that needs to be open to remove the transmission shaft in order to change the bushing. (TERRIBLE PLACE TO PUT A CONDENSER IMO).

The first view here is the condenser from the front under the car. It's snugged super just between the torsion bar and the metal panel of the spare tire.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The above bar seems to be in place to stabilize the condenser but it isn't resting on it. I can't tell, for sure, what is holding the condenser up. Below is another picture of the bar extending and mounting onto the car. I 'think' I should remove this but don't see how. Even if I did, the condenser would still be connected somehow.

Here are some top-down views after I removed the gas tank to try and get more visibility and access. No help it seems.

There is this nut that you can see if you lean into the trunk and look out toward the front of the car. If I squeeze my hand behind it, I feel a metal pin sticking through that seems like it could go into the top of the condenser. However, there is no space to get on the other side to see if there is a screw/bolt going in from the front.

My thought would be to 'somehow' remove that bar below the condenser first so that if I ever can find something to loosen, the condenser could fall to the ground and be removed.

I'm stumped so any help is appreciated.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

Remove your sway bar and see what happens. It's definitely not coming out with the sway bar in place.
Those sway bar clamps are annoying to deal with. Last time I just used a cutting disc and sliced through them for removal. It'd be a good time to replace those sway bar bushings so may as well just get new clamps anyway.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Remove your sway bar and see what happens. It's definitely not coming out with the sway bar in place.
Those sway bar clamps are annoying to deal with. Last time I just used a cutting disc and sliced through them for removal. It'd be a good time to replace those sway bar bushings so may as well just get new clamps anyway.

I can wriggle the sway bar and see it has no effect on the condenser. You can see the bar move and it's not attached to the condenser or holding it up in any way. I agree I would have to remove them....but it will change nothing on that condenser unfortunately.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

When I bought my 70, my condenser was mounted by two extra long bolts that actually held the cover plate on for the shift rod that you were trying to access.
Hard to say if yours is the same as all of these were dealer installed options.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
When I bought my 70, my condenser was mounted by two extra long bolts that actually held the cover plate on for the shift rod that you were trying to access.

No bolts visible. However, I've crawled all under it and my best guess is that the bolts are behind this metal plate with NO room between it and the front of the condenser coils. Any ideas how I remove this plate? I see no bolts and it doesn't 'look' welded but won't budge. The X is about where I think the bolt is.

SCG9860
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

I'm not positive but I believe these are screws (head side toward the rear of the car). You should be able to access the heads through the opening where the fuel tank normally resides. There are likely two more on the driver's side of the car. If you remove these, I believe that you should be able to remove the condenser. Once removed, you should likely have access to remove the rest of the mounting hardware. My best guess based upon your photos. Good luck.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

No bolts visible. However, I've crawled all under it and my best guess is that the bolts are behind this metal plate with NO room between it and the front of the condenser coils. Any ideas how I remove this plate? I see no bolts and it doesn't 'look' welded but won't budge. The X is about where I think the bolt is.

It is spot welded in place. Open on the back side.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

I dont think a stock ghia has the squared (L shape) sheet metal around the sway bar. I think that may be what is mounting the cooler. Are there screws over the bar?
Here is another one installed same location.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

See the 3 screws/bolts on the lower edge?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

If you don’t care about it at all…there’s always a saws-all. 😜

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
If you don’t care about it at all…there’s always a saws-all. 😜

I was thinking the same thing, destructive tools are fun tools!! Cool
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
kent70ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

We need a Ghiapet mod, quick call Chris 🤣
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:

Realized I'd never come back here and updated everybody on my success. For sure, that sway bar had to come out as a first step. I had to use a saws-all as somebody suggested to cut through those sway bar clamps as they were NOT moving. It was still a major project even after it was out. Ultimately, the dominos started to fall after I removed some tiny bolts on the VERY bottom of the condenser that I hadn't seen. Once that bottom cover came off, more tiny screws were visible. I just kept removing things. FOR CERTAIN, it's impossible to get it out through the trunk and gas tank area. Down is/was the ONLY way. I'm convinced that my shift bushing had NEVER been replaced since the condenser had to come out to get the shift bar out. Good riddance and happy to know that any future maintenance will go much more smoothly. Now to get the new sway bar bushings and clamps in there and get my sway bar back on. Makes a huge difference driving it without.
dungeoncrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me remove this AC condenser please!!! Reply with quote

dungeoncrawl wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

Realized I'd never come back here and updated everybody on my success. For sure, that sway bar had to come out as a first step. I had to use a saws-all as somebody suggested to cut through those sway bar clamps as they were NOT moving. It was still a major project even after it was out. Ultimately, the dominos started to fall after I removed some tiny bolts on the VERY bottom of the condenser that I hadn't seen. Once that bottom cover came off, more tiny screws were visible. I just kept removing things. FOR CERTAIN, it's impossible to get it out through the trunk and gas tank area. Down is/was the ONLY way. I'm convinced that my shift bushing had NEVER been replaced since the condenser had to come out to get the shift bar out. Good riddance and happy to know that any future maintenance will go much more smoothly. Now to get the new sway bar bushings and clamps in there and get my sway bar back on. Makes a huge difference driving it without.

These screws were the ones I was convinced had nothing to do with anything but were the key to it all.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: