Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find a Solenoid for my Auto Stick 1972 Super Beetle please !!!! Very Happy
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

First question: What makes you think you need one? Those hardly ever fail.

2nd question: Are you prepared to spend bookoo bucks?
Was surprised to not find any in the classifieds here... so right now it looks like your only bets are ebay, or bugcity. Either way you are looking at approx $400 Shocked

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=autostick+vacuum+solenoid

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255840189589

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
First question: What makes you think you need one? Those hardly ever fail.

2nd question: Are you prepared to spend bookoo bucks?
Was surprised to not find any in the classifieds here... so right now it looks like your only bets are ebay, or bugcity. Either way you are looking at approx $400 Shocked

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.lasso?pquery=autostick+vacuum+solenoid

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255840189589

I was told it needs to click when grounded and it does nothing after replacing the blue wire with the brass tip in the stick. It was working great and just stoped shifting. I only need the Solenoid and not the entire unit ... and thank you for what you found so far !!!!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

Are you saying that it suddenly stopped shifting and that's what led you to replace the shifter wire?? or was the wire broken or damaged somehow?

Just because the solenoid doesn't click when you touch the ground wire to it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it-- there could be a problem with the wiring to it (and, did you make sure to have the key ON when trying this test??)

On a 72 super the power to the solenoid comes from one of the fuses up front (there is a discrepancy here between what the wiring diagram shows and what the 72 owner's manual states- the wiring diagram shows the fuse for the solenoid as #11 (2nd from right if looking at the fuses inside the cabin), but the owner's manual says fuse #10 (3rd from right if looking at them from inside the cabin.) Either way check both of those fuses and make sure neither is blown.

If the fuses look good, then try this test- pull both wires off of the solenoid, then route a spare jumper wire from the positive terminal of the ignition coil over to one of the solenoid terminals (doesn't matter which one.) Then connect another spare jumper wire to a good ground in the engine bay, and (with key on) touch the other end of that wire to the other solenoid terminal and see if it clicks.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Are you saying that it suddenly stopped shifting and that's what led you to replace the shifter wire?? or was the wire broken or damaged somehow?

Just because the solenoid doesn't click when you touch the ground wire to it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it-- there could be a problem with the wiring to it (and, did you make sure to have the key ON when trying this test??)

On a 72 super the power to the solenoid comes from one of the fuses up front (there is a discrepancy here between what the wiring diagram shows and what the 72 owner's manual states- the wiring diagram shows the fuse for the solenoid as #11 (2nd from right if looking at the fuses inside the cabin), but the owner's manual says fuse #10 (3rd from right if looking at them from inside the cabin.) Either way check both of those fuses and make sure neither is blown.

If the fuses look good, then try this test- pull both wires off of the solenoid, then route a spare jumper wire from the positive terminal of the ignition coil over to one of the solenoid terminals (doesn't matter which one.) Then connect another spare jumper wire to a good ground in the engine bay, and (with key on) touch the other end of that wire to the other solenoid terminal and see if it clicks.

I was told by the seller that owns a vw repair shop here in town that he thought 99 % of the time its the worn brass at the shifter and to replace which I did and that didn`t fix the problem. Today after speaking to a lady that runs a shop that sells used vw parts told me that she gets calls every day looking for the solenoid part. And I only need to Solenoid not the entire unit I`m hoping.
This VW has had everything removed. All rubbers replaced. Entire electricle replaced. Senergy green paint with mirror finish. Black and grey two toned mesh interior and head liner. Polished out Porche 911 wheels. Disk brakes. 1835cc with fresh barrels and Pistons, dual 44m weber carbs. Auto craft roller rockers with dual springs. Stainless valves with ported cylinders. RC trans with strap and mendeola support. A1 stainless exhaust. MSD ignition. Let me know if you have any questions....
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

The automatic stick shift expert was correct. So I have replaced the blue wire in the shifter with the brass tip, connected it to the wire, leading through the tunnel back to the solenoid. I took your suggestion and tested the solenoid as you described, and it clicks. The white wire leading in with the line on it has power, but not sure about the blue wire leading to the solenoid if it has negativity to it and it’s grounded. How can I test the wire at the shifter and at the end of the wire for the ground at the solenoid
on that end of the wire please ?
Thank you,
MM
This VW has had everything removed. All rubbers replaced. Entire electricle replaced. Senergy green paint with mirror finish. Black and grey two toned mesh interior and head liner. Polished out Porche 911 wheels. Disk brakes. 1835cc with fresh barrels and Pistons, dual 44m weber carbs. Auto craft roller rockers with dual springs. Stainless valves with ported cylinders. RC trans with strap and mendeola support. A1 stainless exhaust. MSD ignition. Let me know if you have any questions....
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

The circuit begins at the spark coil. Power flows from there through a fuse and then to one spade on the solenoid. Then from the second spade the wire (it's brown on my '71) takes the power all the way to the shifter. When you push down on the shifter, the power is grounded into the chassis and returns to the battery.

So if your ignition is on (power to coil) then you should have power all the way to your shifter. You could unscrew your shifter and then touch the chassis with the brass tip. If the solenoid clucks every time you touch, then your electric circuit is fine.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

I did put a new blue wire in with the brass tip. The prior wire was cut and held together with a wire tie. The new wire I purchased is about 4 feet long but will not fit through the tiny hole the wire feeds through with a fixed female spade on the end. So I cut it like the person did that replaced it before, knowing it didn't come cut from factory. But where it is cut at the shifter one can touch that open wire to the body with key on to hear the click. That way I will know that there is not a cut in the wire from the shifter to the solenoid in between?
What you think ?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

If it works, then you're good. You can buy a new shift connect pretty cheap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172864039454
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

As indicated I already replaced with the blue wire and I’m going to test if the wire where it’s cut and connected and touch to the body for ground to make sure I’ don’t have a cut in the wire between the shifter and the solenoid. If that clicks now I’m in trouble because I have power to and ground and solenoid works but still doesn’t shift 🥲
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2378920.jpg[/img
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

Markymarc wrote:
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2378920.jpg[/img

Not shur if an adjustment is needed at the shifter so it is grounding properly ?
FallyFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

Link

Here's a great representation of the bentley manual instructions for adjusting the shifter properly. This helped me a ton when I did my contact point and it was SPOT on. The instructions at 2:30 and on are really important.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you cut your new blue wire. That wire is supposed to go under the carpet and then connect to the brown wire under the rear seat.
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

Is it possible not to cut the wire and feed through the tiny 1/8 inch opening to go through with a female spade on the other end ? Thats how it was before I just copied it. There was a Black wire present already leading back so I just tied into it like the prior person did when they fixed it ?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

Sure that should work assuming the black wire is connected to the brown wire coming from the solenoid. I do remember now having to cut the spade connector off that blue wire to fish it through. I just reattached a new spade connector to the end of that blue wire.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

By the way I didn't find Bentley too helpful with the adjustment (tighten then back it off one half turn). Instead I adjusted that shift contact with the engine idling and the rear wheels off the ground (on jack stands). I would adjust and then shift and then adjust and then shift, repeat, repeat, repeat until I was happy. I have no idea his many turns it was. If the shifter is too high then the clutch will not disengage (grind). If the shifter is too low then the clutch doesn't re engage (wheels don't turn when in gear).

Last edited by Tom K. on Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

I took a picture here with a mess under the backseat and I’m not aware of where any of these loose wires go I’m looking for the black wire coming from the shifter through the tunnel into the backseat which I don’t see other than a small one it’s going to a regulator That I’m not sure what the relay that I’m not sure what or where it’s going ?

Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

Relay is for rear window defogger.
Markymarc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Stick SOLENOID for 72 Super Beetle can`t find ? Reply with quote

Great thanks ! Can you see the wire that may be associated with the shifter wire ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: