Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Duralast Oil Pressure Switch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

I have an 85 Westy with the 1.9 and I'm having issues with my oil pressure warning light going on so to start, I decided to try replacing the oil pressure switch. I found a Duralast switch at Autozone with the correct part number 028919081D so I tried that and it seems to have only made the problem worse. Has anyone used one of these switches? Initially my light was coming on along with the buzzer very sporadically and when I turned the van off and then restarted it would stop. Since replacing the switch I took about a 30 mile drive and now the light starts flickering and then blinking after about 15 minutes but there's no buzzer. At first it comes on when I'm running in higher gears at lower rpm's and then if I downshift it will turn off until my rpm's start to go down again. I know I need to check the oil pressure and am considering installing a gauge but any thoughts on the switch before I do? Thanks!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

Make sure the wire isn’t chaffed and grounding on the engine as it comes up the left side of the engine. I had one instance of grounding, and one of burned off until I got the routing nailed correctly on our 1.9 with the single stock switch for oil pressure.

I looked up oil pressure switches for a ‘85 Vanagon at Autozone. That number didn’t come up. What color is the main body of the switch, and what pressure rating is your switch listed for opening the contact. I’m wondering if they sold you a higher rated pressure switch for a 2.1 with its dual switch system .
But, you say you have a buzzer and a 1.9 engine? I’m confused, I thought the buzzer system was only on 2.1s.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

Generally speaking you don't wanna source your parts for these things from AutoZone unless it's an emergency.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

What is the cheapo AutoZone pressure rating on the switch?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

The wire looks good but I can check it to confirm. I don't generally get Autozone parts but they had it in stock and I needed the van so I went with it. I thought when I had originally looked that the pressure rating was correct but looking now it may not be. Their site says pressure limit open 3-8.3 and but the one on GoWesty says it's 2-5.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

Good idea to install a gauge, especially if you find yourself doubting what sensors are telling you.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

Disconnecting the pressure switch should disable the indicator light on a 1.9 with a single oil pressure switch.

That said, a good pilot always trusts his instruments. In a case like this you must verify the engine oil pressure with a quality mechanical gauge.

If after disconnecting the switch you still have an indicator problem, you have a circuit problem.
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

I just purchased a new switch from GoWesty and will be returning the one from AutoZone. Regardless of whether or not that is the issue, for an inexpensive part I want to make sure I’ve got the right one. Next up is adding a gauge so I don’t need to guess if I’m about to destroy my engine.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

The '85 with a 1.9 doesn't have the dynamic oil pressure warning system, so there should be no buzzer, and only one sender (I believe 0.3 bar). Do you have a modified system? There should be no buzzer. I didn't see you answer this question from another member. And what color collar did the sender have that you installed?

Ed
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

The collar is blue and looks identical to the one at GoWesty. It’s also listed with the same part number. There has always been a buzzer accompanying the light until I installed the new switch and as far as I know there have been no modifications. This is the first time I’ve had only the light go off with no buzzer.
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

I never considered it odd that the buzzer went off and was unaware that it wasn’t typically found on the 1.9. Does anyone have any possible explanation for this?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

What is the manufacture date of the van? Its possible a cluster from a later van was installed. The member that would know for sure is crazyvwvanman. For a dynamic oil pressure warning system to work, you need two oil pressure switches. Otherwise you need to disable the warning system. I have a cluster from a later van in our 82. I grounded it at the cluster connector. I’ve read where others have bent the pin.
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

I installed the new switch and the first thing I noticed is that it has a metal gasket which the one from AutoZone didn’t not. I’ve only driven about 20 miles but so far no issues at all.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

gbrady28 wrote:
I installed the new switch and the first thing I noticed is that it has a metal gasket which the one from AutoZone didn’t not. I’ve only driven about 20 miles but so far no issues at all.

the switch with the gasket is likely a true M10 x 1.0 thread, requiring a gasket to seal. the non-gasket switch might've been a 1/8"-27 NPT taper thread, meant to lock itself in a tapered NPT hole. they work, usually without harm, but it ain't right.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

Good to hear that the proper part solved your issues!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
gbrady28 wrote:

the switch with the gasket is likely a true M10 x 1.5 thread, requiring a gasket to seal. the non-gasket switch might've been a 1/8"-27 NPT taper thread, meant to lock itself in a tapered NPT hole. they work, usually without harm, but it ain't right.

M10X1, not 1.5
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

Id be getting a known good gage on that thing to make sure you aint got no real oil pressure problem. That is my first concern.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

3 psi is not enough oil pressure, get a gauge on there and see what you oil pressure actually is.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

M10X1, not 1.5

right. i corrected my original post in case someone stumbles across it and stops reading. thanks for catching that.

as an aside, NAPAonline had some pressure switches, mebbe Altrom, that showed "Made in Germany" on the box so i ordered two on the off chance they were what the photo showed. when they came, they were China switches but worst part is the open/closed logic was reversed. back they went.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast Oil Pressure Switch Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

M10X1, not 1.5

right. i corrected my original post in case someone stumbles across it and stops reading. thanks for catching that.

as an aside, NAPAonline had some pressure switches, mebbe Altrom, that showed "Made in Germany" on the box so i ordered two on the off chance they were what the photo showed. when they came, they were China switches but worst part is the open/closed logic was reversed. back they went.

Yes all the switches from the local parts sellers are whack, you can even see some in picture showing the tapered threads.
You can still find made in Germany switches for fairly cheap. The high pressure switch sold by GoWesty was Febi made in Germany last I ordered.
There's other brands like Hella and Swag, Facet that are good quality but available mostly in Europe. Stay clear from Meyle, JP Group and Topran., they'll leak faster at the spade, when they work Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: