Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle doesn’t run very well
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

I'm just gonna slink back under my rock, outta the light with my tail between my legs to lick my wounds.

The FI system is a good one if all components are up to snuff. Don't assume a hose looks good or piece of plastic isn't cracked.
Good on ya, mate !

There's a 51 page sticky on FI & have been told the Bentley manual has good stuff. Knowledgeable members on FI are here, too.

Good luck ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Marks_Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

In the same boat on this thread. Recently purchased my bug in Oct. I was a little leery about the way it was running (hard starting, rough idle, poor response) but figured a tune-up wouldn't hurt.

So the first thing I did was 'the whole nine yards'- new plugs; new points and condenser; new rotor and cap; new spark plug wires (the old boots were pretty crispy!). I found all the valves had no clearance. Compression- 100 to 110 all around. Cleaned out the oil bath air cleaner. Changed fuel filter, etc.

Now she starts on the first revolution and purrs like a... Beetle!

I found a dangerous situation while messing around in the engine. The old fabric/rubber fuel line was 'weeping'! Got some modern fuel line and replaced all the pieces in the engine compartment. Too many horror stories about burned up Bugs!

Thanks for the support on this post (and many others) I'm a newcomer to The Samba, too, and I'm just discovering the treasure trove of information available from so many knowledgeable people on this forum!

Others owned- 1959 Beetle, 1959 Beetle, 1969 Beetle, 1971 Type 3, 1978 Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

How I determine which distributor? It looks to be the dual vacuum. Rock auto has a selection of condensors and not sure which to pick.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

459032 wrote:
How I determine which distributor? It looks to be the dual vacuum. Rock auto has a selection of condensors and not sure which to pick.

You match the condenser to the model of the distributor. That part number is embossed on the side of the distributor body.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

That’s the number I see on the distributor
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bosch_tune_up_parts.php
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

Removed hoses on auxiliary air valve. It’s fully closed when the car is cold.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

Clean it! Brake cleaner works. Allow it to fully dry out. No blasting with compressed air. Should free up.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. This thing runs a bunch better now.

I found out the high idle was cause by the big plug/screw on the front of the throttle body. Looks like it backed out from the vibration. Once I screwed that in, the idle came down and the motor was responsive to the screw on the afm.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

Idle came down, timing mark wasn’t erratic. Throttle response was great afterwards.

Cleaning out the aux air valve helped as well but I don’t think it was a problem yet.

I still have a hard start issue but I think I know how to fix it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

459032 wrote:
Idle came down, timing mark wasn’t erratic. Throttle response was great afterwards.

Cleaning out the aux air valve helped as well but I don’t think it was a problem yet.

I still have a hard start issue but I think I know how to fix it.

Hard starting is typically a lean condition from unmetered air. Check for vacum leaks!

Also, when was the fuel filter last changed?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

Can the aux air valve be adjusted? I feel like it should be open more.

I threw the one I have in the freezer. The valve opened more and I think it was easier to start. Had a fast idle at first and came down fairly quickly.

The next day started it without throwing the aux air valve in the freezer first. It had a hard start and didn’t idle fast at first.

It’s a new pump, filter and lines.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle doesn’t run very well Reply with quote

459032 wrote:
Can the aux air valve be adjusted? I feel like it should be open more.

I threw the one I have in the freezer. The valve opened more and I think it was easier to start. Had a fast idle at first and came down fairly quickly.

The next day started it without throwing the aux air valve in the freezer first. It had a hard start and didn’t idle fast at first.

It’s a new pump, filter and lines.

Yes. Little 8mm (?) nut under the nose.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: