Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:

Look-in good! What connection point did you use for the tach, in the engine bay?

Oddly I stumbled on this video showing where to hook up a tach on a 1600i a week ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKn4QGzvcDk
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
radstude wrote:

Look-in good! What connection point did you use for the tach, in the engine bay?

Oddly I stumbled on this video showing where to hook up a tach on a 1600i a week ago.

Thank You!
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
hopkin wrote:
radstude wrote:

Thank You!

Yup, the center (green) wire is used for a tach signal.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
radstude wrote:
hopkin wrote:
radstude wrote:

Thank You!

To change the topic, how's the oil fill cap, has the milkshake starting to form. Just wondering if the flap & thermostat has help that problem.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:
radstude wrote:
hopkin wrote:
radstude wrote:

Thank You!

To change the topic, how's the oil fill cap, has the milkshake starting to form. Just wondering if the flap & thermostat has help that problem.

100% better, engine warms up much quicker, I have heat within 5 minutes instead of 20. Haven't noticed moister inside the cap.
2002EVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

About to tackle fuel pump replacement. Bought new Chineseum pump from Rock Auto for a reasonable price and will likely rebuild the original as a backup.

Any advice from those who have done this already? Other than clamp the tank lines well so I don't end up with an armpit of gasoline?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

2002EVC wrote:
About to tackle fuel pump replacement. Bought new Chineseum pump from Rock Auto for a reasonable price and will likely rebuild the original as a backup.

Any advice from those who have done this already? Other than clamp the tank lines well so I don't end up with an armpit of gasoline?

You may need to 'reclock', ie turn the center the hoses line up:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
2002EVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
2002EVC wrote:

You may need to 'reclock', ie turn the center the hoses line up:

Thank you, sir. Always good advice and why I come here. Still a bit cold in the unheated garage, but hopefully done this weekend.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
radstude wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:
radstude wrote:
hopkin wrote:
radstude wrote:

Thank You!

100% better, engine warms up much quicker, I have heat within 5 minutes instead of 20. Haven't noticed moister inside the cap.

Milkshake foam? I just found this when changing the oil today. What is it? Is it a problem? If yes, how to fix? Thanks!
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I changed the oil in my 1600i today. When I was done, I started it up and then went underneath to make sure everything was tight and wasn't leaking.

Good news: no oil leaking! Very Happy

Bad news: fuel was leaking Crying or Very sad

I shut the car down and went to find the leak. From the back of the car, when I reached around the back of the engine fan shroud in the engine bay, there are two metal pipes coming out from behind the should perpendicular to the axis of the car, there are two small pieces of flexible hose attached to make the right angle where they then go back to hard metal piping. The hose pieces are attached with jubilee clips. On the lower piece of hose, it's leaking fuel at the end closest to the back of the car.

I tried to get a screwdriver on the clip to tighten it, but I couldn't quite reach and I was loosing the light so I decided to call it a day.

So, do I just need to tighten the clip? If yes, advice on how appreciated.
If no, what do I do? replace the little bit of hose and two new clips? Something else. I got pretty worried because it was a a decent leak and it was running down unto the heat exchangers under the car and I'd prefer to have a Bug rather than an inferno.

Help/suggestions appreciated.

Much thanks,
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

replace the hose and clips. On fuel lines is usually recommended not to use jubilee clips but crimp type clamps.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
replace the hose and clips. On fuel lines is usually recommended not to use jubilee clips but crimp type clamps.

I agree, the part that might suck is you may have to drop the engine to do it. I can reach most everything behind the fan shroud with engine in car.

If you do have to drop the engine, replace all lines and clamps.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
... there are two metal pipes coming out from behind the should perpendicular to the axis of the car, there are two small pieces of flexible hose attached to make the right angle where they then go back to hard metal piping...

These ones?

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo. It's on the other side of the engine, but it looks exactly like the red arrow - on the lower hose, join closest to the back of the car.

I just had the engine out last summer and these lines were disturbed. I'll be very disturbed if it has to come out again. Twisted Evil

It was hard to see as the light was failing, but I think I have jubilee clips. So, recommendation is replace flexible bit of hose with new crimp clips? This is all very new to me. Any links on what size and type of fuel line, size and type of clip and how to do the job appreciated. I'm not even sure what questions to ask. Will I need a crimp tool, or will vice grips work? Thanks!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Thanks for the photo. It's on the other side of the engine, but it looks exactly like the red arrow - on the lower hose, join closest to the back of the car.

You probably already know this, but those rails are for the injectors, there is a bolt holding them in place at 45 degrees. I always remove the bolt before pulling the engine, that way the rail can move around. I then pull the injectors, mark their location and plug the holes before pulling the engine. (I probably cleaned them when I had them out, but I can't recall way back to 2019 Smile ). [Note the bolt requires an Allen key.]

It does make it a little easier to finesse the engine out and back in, minimizing the risk of damaging the rails. Note: it's a challenge to get the bolt back in.

Here's a pic of the underside of the rail, you can see the bolt.
When I looked at my spare, to take this pic, it made me think about how easy it might be to crack the rail, I hope that is not the case for you.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Last gauge installed (CHT), was able to paint the needle white so it matches better.

coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Horn question

Horn has never worked since I bought the car two years ago (1995 1600i). I'd like to change that!

Tasks so far:
1. Looked under front driver's fender and yes, I DO have a horn. Very Happy
2. Clapped batter charger across the two horn terminals. I got noise! (Didn't sound great, but I've read there's an adjusting screw.) Very Happy

The horn has two wires going to it. One is orange, the other looks white in the photo but seemed to have a yellow stripe on it. Steering wheel looks fine and like one of the few bits that hasn't been messed with in the car's past.

I put the voltmeter on tone (any voltage = tone), hooked one test lead to orange and the other to the front antisway bar, ignition on, nit horn button. No horn. No tone from volt meter.

Not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions or links to where this has been answered would be appreciated. Will be troubleshooting alone, so hard to crawl under front of car AND hit the steering wheel.

Thanks in advance!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Horn question

Here's the schematic, the wire colours don't match yours but this might help. Maybe the contact switch (horn ring) in the steering wheel, just a guess.

For reference, I've also attached a pic of an OEM horn ring that I have for a spare:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks, Hopkin. I will add the wiring diagram to my file of technical info on the car. Much appreciated. Very Happy

I'm continuing on with the horn and pulled the centre horn button out of the steering wheel. When I short the two wires together, the horn sounds. Very Happy Excellent!

So the issue is now with the horn button. The rest of the wiring to the horn seems good.

But what to do with the button? It was a bit concave, so I gave it a slight bend back to straight but that didn't fix it.

I'm not sure a) how to get it apart (beside twisting the two knobs) and b) what to do once it is apart.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

photo 1 - the horn button
photo 2 - wiring for horn button
photo 3 - shorting the wires and getting the horn to sound
photo 4 - the back of the horn button and where to start?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Damn .. I save all sorts of crap, the horn ring I pictured was from a wrecked '83 Mexican Beetle. I pulled the steering wheel to get the horn ring and unfortunately tossed the bent steering wheel and button (but not before I took a few pics). [If I still had it, I would just send it to you for shipping cost Sad ].

The good news is that the button you show was used on older cars, you might have some luck trying to find one, eBay or post a wanted add here on Samba.

Try putting your meter on the two terminals and press around to see if you get a connection, there may be some corrosion inside and you might find a 'sweet' spot. It looks like (on my pic) that you could open it by pulling back the tabs and possible clean it up.

Also, you may want to reach out to Antonio to see if he could source a new or used one.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 178 of 192

Jump to: