Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions about my new 36 hp
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I’m restoring my newly acquired 58 beetle and I just picked up the engine from the PO. He test ran it and it seemed to sound good. I am not familiar with the 36 hp engine. Was hoping folks could chime in and tell me anything about the engine. Anything look wrong? Distributor? What is the spring behind the doghouse? I notice a little fuel seepage coming from the carb throttle shaft? I plan on possibly rebuilding it. Is there anything I can do to give it a little more power but still look stock? How much would it cost to rebuild? Thanks guys
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

The spring behind the doghouse is for the mechanism that helps the engine get up to operating temperature faster. That ring in the fan shroud will swing away form the fan as the engine heats up, and the spring is on the swing pivot.
There isn't really anything to magically get more oomph from a 36, without breaking it down for internal work. As for the carb, there's a guy near me (also in NJ) that rebuilds a ton of 36hp carbs, and does a stellar job. There is an oversize throttle shaft available if the bore is worn. PM me for contact info.
Rebuild cost is at least 2000 in parts, and that's assuming some of the parts are good. Shipping and machining can add another grand easily.
SD
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

Today's Rhetorical Question:

Ever wonder why so many old VWs come with engines in pieces or no engine at all?

There are two or three ways to assess the condition of an old VW motor:

You can set up a "virtual VW" on your garage floor if you don't have a test stand. Hook it up to an old swingaxle, a battery and a fuel source. I used to have an old Sportster tank. Now that I have a herd of snow blowers out back I use a plastic tank off an 8hp Tecumseh.

Rig it all up. It's not that difficult. If the motor doesn't shake so bad it crawls across the floor and if it doesn't piss a puddle of oil you may have a good one.

Set valve lash. Check compression. Check oil pressure while it's running.

Judging by the shiny intake manifold and the nicely intact muffler I'd say your motor has possibilities.

My other favorite "leading indicator(s)" are the exhaust studs on the heads. Yours look good. Exhaust heat rust welds the fasteners and corrodes the ends of the studs making them pointy. If the nuts come off clean leaving the studs looking new (ish) you probably have a good motor.

The less cautious approach: That's the old Bug- In "We can change a VW motor in two minutes" deal. Install it in your car. Drive it around the block. If it feels astonishingly zippy I would be tempted to leave it alone.

I wouldn't tear it down if I didn't have to. Tearing it down is the "I have trust fund so I have plenty of money and nothing but spare time" approach. Don't tear into it if you're not a machinist. If you can't rebuild the heads, the crank and the case, what's the point?

zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

Spark coil is not stock, it should be black. you may repaint it.

The dog house is only on late model Bugs with the offset to front oil cooler. What you refer to as a dog house is actually a fan house or fan shroud. There are late model dog house type fan housings and the early non dog house fan housings. You have the non dog house type. additionally yours is a stale air type, which is correct for the stale air heater system, which early cars have. the fresh air type is distinguishable by the two corrugated hoses that are routed between the left and right sides of the fan shroud to the fresh air type heater boxes.

the spring is for the thermostatically controlled warm up system. There should be a temperature sensitive bellows that expands and contracts with temperature that moves the ring on the fan intake.The ring is spring loaded. The ring position when cold will restrict the cooling air inlet, when warm the ring opens up the intake. make sure this system is functional, and make sure it will failsafe to the open position. the temperature sensitive bellows can fail, when they fail they become expanded when cold rather than contracted when cold. they do tend to wear out, make sure yours is good the bellows should be linked to the ring, and is located below the adjacent cylinders/head on bottom.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:

The dog house is only on late model Bugs with the offset to front oil cooler. What you refer to as a dog house is actually a fan house or fan shroud. There are late model dog house type fan housings and the early non dog house fan housings. You have the non dog house type. additionally yours is a stale air type, which is correct for the stale air heater system, which early cars have. the fresh air type is distinguishable by the two corrugated hoses that are routed between the left and right sides of the fan shroud to the fresh air type heater boxes.

the spring is for the thermostatically controlled warm up system. There should be a temperature sensitive bellows that expands and contracts with temperature that moves the ring on the fan intake.The ring is spring loaded. The ring position when cold will restrict the cooling air inlet, when warm the ring opens up the intake. make sure this system is functional, and make sure it will failsafe to the open position. the temperature sensitive bellows can fail, when they fail they become expanded when cold rather than contracted when cold. they do tend to wear out, make sure yours is good the bellows should be linked to the ring, and is located below the adjacent cylinders/head on bottom.

Great info thank you
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

FYI: Right now you are missing both the front and rear cover plates of the engine, along with the fuel inlet line.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

Is that a late style clutch pressure plate?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

That's what the new Sachs looks like. Note the centering ring to work with the old style throw out bearing. I'm sure the old spring/lever pressure plates are still available, but the last two I bought were this new Sachs diaphragm type
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
FYI: Right now you are missing both the front and rear cover plates of the engine, along with the fuel inlet line.

I have the front pulley tin. What rear tin are you talking about? Do you have a pic?
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

esde wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

That's what the new Sachs looks like. Note the centering ring to work with the old style throw out bearing. I'm sure the old spring/lever pressure plates are still available, but the last two I bought were this new Sachs diaphragm type

I just a new throw out bearing from WW. Hopefully they will work together wh Ed n it comes time to fit the engine
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about my new 36 hp Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
zerotofifty wrote:

Great info thank you

What exactly happens when the ring in the fan shroud moves out?
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions my 36 hp Reply with quote

That ring is called a "Throttle Ring" and what it does is : -slightly- restrict the fan's intake air flow to help the engine warm up .

Your engine looks nice and tidy, take the time to clean the oil screen and check and adjust all the valves to .004" .

This is important, newer engines use .006" but never on a 25/36 HP .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: