Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s the most reliable VW camper?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:13 am    Post subject: What’s the most reliable VW camper? Reply with quote

Yes I know reliability is based on care and well maintained camper. But based on that which of the 4 is the most reliable for distance and time once all of that is addressed?

1. Split bus
2. Bay window
3. Vanagon
4. Euro
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the most reliable VW camper? Reply with quote

I'll Play,, early Bay would be my choice, because Type 1 motor mainly Wink
Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the most reliable VW camper? Reply with quote

The way I view it, all of them can be equally reliable if you're willing to put in the care and maintenance required. The difference between them is the closer to number one you go on your list, the more care and maintenance you'll need to put in.
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the most reliable VW camper? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The way I view it, all of them can be equally reliable if you're willing to put in the care and maintenance required. The difference between them is the closer to number one you go on your list, the more care and maintenance you'll need to put in.

I agree with that, but would add that complexity can add to unreliability, depending on a person's skillset.

So, while a Eurovan could be as reliable as a split, it means the owner needs to be ready to deal with more potential electrical and computer module issues. (Or paying someone to deal with those)
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the most reliable VW camper? Reply with quote

nbvolks wrote:
I agree with that, but would add that complexity can add to unreliability, depending on a person's skillset.

So, while a Eurovan could be as reliable as a split, it means the owner needs to be ready to deal with more potential electrical and computer module issues. (Or paying someone to deal with those)

Very true, but there's also the reality that across most of the US nowadays you're more likely to find parts for a Eurovan in stock at a FLAPS along a trip than you are for a split.

For the average Joe that uses wire nuts on a car and thinks of electrical systems as containing magic smoke and voodoo, simpler is definitely better.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the most reliable VW camper? Reply with quote

IMHO ....... 68-70 Type II

Simple motor
Simple electric
Nothing complex or fancy
But
If you want speed....... EuroVan.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the most reliable VW camper? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
IMHO ....... 68-70 Type II

Simple motor
Simple electric
Nothing complex or fancy
But
If you want speed....... EuroVan.

i agree with this. the typeII has always taken care of me and miraculously continues to. if you want speed, then the euro is the one (transmissions aside).
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the most reliable VW camper? Reply with quote

well...from what I can figure by the exspurts. the reliable one is the one that never leaves the driveway&garage unless it's on a trailer.....thats how they get somany nice pics of their new looking non running stuff out& about to brag on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: