Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deep Sump Removal Assembly
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TwangBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:03 am    Post subject: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

So I removed my EMPI deep sump to replace the gasket. Not realizing the long hex nut bolt may have had a nut on it's back side to hold the oil tube. The tube assembly was rigid when I checked it but now I'm second guessing my work. Should I go look again? Magnet?

On the same issue I found no info on how tight those hex bolts should be, or what type thread adhesive is best.
Any help would be appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Originally there would have been a stud with a nut on each end.

The copper washers you get with an oil change kit are there to prevent leaking from between the nuts and the cover, acorn nuts were used to prevent leaking between the studs and the nuts.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

There should of been a nut... look for it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TwangBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn.

And what of the torque or thread adhesive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

7ft-lbs

If you're using stronger bolts instead of studs you can go 10ft-lbs.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

yes, the extended sum uses a nut on top of that stud. As I recall, it is a locking stainless nut. If the stud was removed then the nut came off. If the stud was not removed then it is still there. You may need one of these to find it. Use a bent wire to fish it out if it is not magnetic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
yes, the extended sum uses a nut on top of that stud. As I recall, it is a locking stainless nut. If the stud was removed then the nut came off. If the stud was not removed then it is still there. You may need one of these to find it. Use a bent wire to fish it out if it is not magnetic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as i know, VW never used stainless steel hardware on the engines.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
TwangBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Great info
Thanks guys!
Note! On closer inspection the nut appears to be "fixed" and didn't move.
So praise tha Lord I'm gonna Red Permatex them threads and bolt her up to 7 ft lbs. Using a reusable silicone gasket and pray I never have to do this again.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Since you'll not have to take the sump off again, I use the paper gasket and apply some Permatex Right Stuff to both sides.

I rub some on the gasket between 2 fingers so there's a good coating, I install the sump and only make the nuts finger tight. I allow 12 hours for the Right Stuff to setup and then I torque it.

I've done a number of then this way and never had one leak.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

I use the silicone gasket there like you are planning and mine do not leak.

The Right Stuff is a very good sealant too if you want to go that route like Glenn uses.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

if you can lap the sealing face flat on the sump, that helps a lot.
I had a couple of the CB sumps with pretty good grooves to smooth out when I lapped them. Some loctite 515 on both sides of the gasket will seal it for good.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Glenn, my extended sump kit came with a stainless nylon locking nut and longer studs as I recall. The stock stud was too short. The longer stud won't take an acorn nut when going back and forth, which I had to between summer and winter.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

You don't need acorn nuts inside.

I put bolts in from the inside of the case is apart and if not, i use blue loctite on the studs.

I then remove the nuts one at a time and blue loctite them on and torque to spec.

The pan is to not remove the sump until you need to split the case.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Ok let's try again. The stock studs are too short for an extended sump. The manufacturer puts longer studs and a locking nut to replace the factory nut in their kit.

If the extended sump is on in the winter, even with a thermostat the oil will never warm up. I had to take the extended sump off in winter. That meant changing studs every winter and summer. In winter the factory studs were short and the acorn nuts fit them.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Who does that?

Never in 40 years did I remove a sump for the winter

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Who does that?

Never in 40 years did I remove a sump for the winter

Me neither, I also don’t charge oil weight in the winter. But I do use a Kats VW-15 sump heater.

The top of my sump was machined to accept a large o-ring. No paper gasket on my sump.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
TwangBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

The consensus here as I see it is despite the varied desigs and versions of these deep sumps is...
Various bolts, nuts and thread adhesives to the case require 7-10 ft lbs of torque and 5 ft lbs to the lower sump plates. Always use an accurate torque wrench!
Various gasket and sealer combinations work for most with little or no leaks.
No where have I seen anyone cite a failure with silicone gaskets. And such failures may be a result in improper instalation.
Again thanks to each of you for your comments solutions and observations.
Your help has been invaluable.
Charlie
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

TwangBus wrote:
The consensus here as I see it is despite the varied desigs and versions of these deep sumps is...
Various bolts, nuts and thread adhesives to the case require 7-10 ft lbs of torque and 5 ft lbs to the lower sump plates. Always use an accurate torque wrench!
Various gasket and sealer combinations work for most with little or no leaks.
No where have I seen anyone cite a failure with silicone gaskets. And such failures may be a result in improper instalation.
Again thanks to each of you for your comments solutions and observations.
Your help has been invaluable.
Charlie

I agree 99%, just don't see the need for a silicone gasket between. If you add a sealant to the paper its fine. The silicone ones are so you can remove and reuse the gasket without using a sealant.

But if you're a belt and suspenders guy/gal... go for it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
TwangBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

Perhaps I am or should be (wearing suspenders & a belt)....
Recently visiting one of my sons... my wife was engaged in conversation with my daughter in law and I walked up to them to answer a question. In the course of the exchange, my flannel britches dropped straight to my ankles.
A hilarious family story which causes me great embarrassment.
The moral of the story is....
Don't let this happen to "your" V-WEE.
And don't forget to wear your rubbers (silicone) (old school = golushes).
All my best
Charlie
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep Sump Removal Assembly Reply with quote

my oil pressure was ballistic in winter if I used the extended sump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: