Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel Center Cap Options
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

I’ve got a set of rims with 80 mm (3.15”), actually it appears to be between 79 and 80 mm. The axle shafts stick out 60 mm (2.36")
Non of the wheels had a cap when I got this bug.

Looking for wheel center cap options to make things look a little better, but aside from one possible cap type form CIP1, which does not look right with my wheels, I’m having difficulty finding any others large enough for proper fit.

Would be interested in finding out what others have found and/or fabricated for this type of wheel.

Thanks, Jim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

JK73Super wrote:
I’ve got a set of rims with 80 mm (3.15”), actually it appears to be between 79 and 80 mm. The axle shafts stick out 60 mm (2.36")
Non of the wheels had a cap when I got this bug.

Looking for wheel center cap options to make things look a little better, but aside from one possible cap type form CIP1, which does not look right with my wheels, I’m having difficulty finding any others large enough for proper fit.

Would be interested in finding out what others have found and/or fabricated for this type of wheel.

Thanks, Jim

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX4KMRO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these for my wheels and they work great. Just slide them in from the inside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikeonthebike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

Sorry, I just noticed they are sold out. You can look around to see if someone else on Amazon has them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

For the part I mention here, VW themselfs quote 80mm but I am unsure if this one is really appropriate for your Marathon wheels.
It is a lead, so on the cautious side maybe get one or two and then you can decide:

# 321 601 171 A 01C

01C is for denoting Black Finishing
Gerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

Look for Marathon or Baja wheel center caps for those wheels. They can be pricey, but they're out there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2211339

Todd
'64 Ruby Red Deluxe Beetle
JK73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.
There are a few 80 mm diameter caps available, but most are not deep enough to accommodate the 60 mm axle shaft protrusion.

Those pricey marathon wheel caps available in the classifieds for 400 euros, seem Not to be well secured to the wheel and could easily be lost.
Gerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

The Marathon caps lock on pretty tightly to the wheel as long as the tabs are all there. Haven't had a problem with mine coming off. Last set I bought cost me $150 for a decent set of four.
'64 Ruby Red Deluxe Beetle
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

Styrofoam Solo cups, paint to match or contrast.

Or, I found these Brazilian VW center caps.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Center Cap Options Reply with quote

Quote:
Styrofoam Solo cups, paint to match or contrast.

Continuing with this idea, take a measuring tape along to the grocery store or dollar store. Try to find some white plastic plastic drinking cups that have the correct diameter. Likely they will already have sufficient depth. The formed lip on the wider end will be your fitment method on the inside edge of the wheel hole. If you find some, glue two of them together with epoxy, pressing them tightly together. This will give them better rigidity. Assemble 6 of them, then paint them satin black with spray paint that adheres to plastic. Then you have 2 spares immediately available in case any are knocked off. You can even glue a "VW" logo sticker onto the end of each one.

I have a set of the same wheels but never mounted them; though I'd try the above method. I bought a set of generic aftermarket accessory plastic chromed 6-sided caps 20 years ago at a large VW meet in Germany; paying only about $30 for them which were in the NOS blister-pack.

Summit Racing has this aluminum cap. Description caption lists 3.175" diameter, but the specs list it as 3.16" dia. which is just over 80 mm. Might not have the depth you need, and unfortunately that measurement is not given. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wld-p605-5083
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: