Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

Looking at the temp gauge on the dash, the needle comes up to the usual place and stays put. The radiator fan doesn't come on (it works - I jumpered the switches).

Sitting in front of the garage, idling, the T2 temp comes up to about 204F (95.5C) using ScanGauge (I verified it reads T2). I've seen 207F (97.2C) at a traffic light. Reading the water pump housing with an IR gun, I get about 198F (92.2C).

The gun showed about 150F (65.5C) at the inlet side of the radiator, at the top.

So... is T2 telling me tales? What a reasonable temp range from T2?
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

i dont know about t2, but the temperature that steam happens at is 212º id say youre doing ok for temps. plus youre taking all those readings from differnet points no? the average seems ok.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
i dont know about t2, but the temperature that steam happens at is 212º id say youre doing ok for temps. plus youre taking all those readings from differnet points no? the average seems ok.

With coolant and under pressure steam happens way higher…

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

Very true - one of the point of points of pressurized cooling systems is to hold off the boiling point.

I'm inclined to think the cooling system isn't in big trouble, but the T2 numbers aren't comforting.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:

With coolant and under pressure steam happens way higher…

interesting, i did not know that,what temp does it happen at in motors? i guess i always assumed the water still boiled as normal. thanks for pointing that out!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
...what temp does it happen at in motors?

A 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze raises boiling to 223⁰.

Pressure in the cooling system raises it further... about 3⁰ for each psi. So with a 15# cap the boiling point may be about 268⁰.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

that makes total sense,really glad to know that now. seems like OP's temps are really good then?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

50/50 anti-freeze and water both raises the boiling point, and lowers the freeze point. It's all in the chemistry of the mix.

Folks who live well above sea level are aware that water boils sooner than at sea lever - reduced air pressure. The pressure cap stands things on their head and lets the pressure inside the coolant system go above sea level pressure - 13-15 PSI being typical.

My concern is the T2 sensor is hot, hot, hot - mostly just below 200F (93.3C), but sometimes above it. At the moment, ambient temps are still cool (nominally 30 - 60F / -1 - 15C). What happens when we start hitting 70 - 80F (21 - 26.6C)?

Or is everything OK, and I should stop looking at the T2 readout?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

If you look in the full Bentley it shows the 3 different watercooled engine cooling systems.
Each describes the thermostat test opening range.
Each says thermostat BEGINS to open at 185f.
Each says thermostat FULLY open at 221f.

Mark
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

Do you recall where you saw that in Bentley? I expected to find what you're talking about, but no luck so far.

One consolation is apparently temperature regulation is going on. T2 stays in a range (nominally 193-203F - 89.4-95C), instead of "goes up and stays there".

I replaced the full thermostat housing and thermostat a while back. The housing looked ...meh... ratty? Rather than have it surprise me on the road, I replaced it. Get that far, might as well do the thermostat, too. ;D
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

Later Bentley cooling system info, thermostat temps

1.6 diesel page 19.4

1.9 wbx page 19.8

2.1 wx page 19.11

page 19.12 has additional important info
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

Thanks!
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

I don't understand the cooling system's sensors' function(s).

T2 and T1 don't report the same values (ScanGauge, and instruments, respectively). Why is that, and why does (I'm assuming) the ECU care about T2 v. T1?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I don't understand the cooling system's sensors' function(s).

T2 and T1 don't report the same values (ScanGauge, and instruments, respectively). Why is that, and why does (I'm assuming) the ECU care about T2 v. T1?

From the Digifant ProTraining Manual:

The coolant temperature sensor is a negative temperature coefficient resistor (NTC). The resistance signal it produces is used by the control unit to determine:
  • The amount of cold start and warm-up enrichment
  • Ignition timing and idle stabilization during warm-
    up
  • When the oxygen sensor, idle stabilization, and full
    throttle enrichment functions are activated

The other temperature sender (black one) is for the instrument cluster gauge.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheating, maybe... - '90 Westy 2.1L Reply with quote

OK, the fog slowly dissipates...

Recently I did a 100 mile round trip to collect wood shakes for a roof I'm replacing.

On the way out, in the rain and ambient temps in the 50's. and on the way back, ambient temps still in the 50's but no rain, and 3 squares (or ~300 sq ft) of shakes (ain't light!) in the back, T2 stayed about the same, and the temp gauge stayed in the usual place (bottom of the operating range markings).

Way back when, T2, as best I can recall, stayed much lower than it currently does. Maybe that was a problem (engine temp too low), and all's well now.

All of this makes for a strong argument to ignore the darn ScanGauge, believe what I see next to the tach, and got on with life. Except just maybe all isn't as it should be. Hence the thread title. ;D
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: