Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

MidwestRoamer wrote:
Sent your thread to my one RL friend who is also a car guy, turns out he cut his teeth on K24's in the early 2000s, your swap has him, and I quote, "heavy breathing" haha

Definitely keeping an eye out for one of these engines for my 2wd eventually!

I've been into Hondas for years now but things have really taken a turn recently. I'm constantly blown away by what people are putting these engines in these days.

Link

It truly is a great fit for the Vanagon even in stock form. The sky is the limit though.

The kit design is coming along very nicely. I'm working through DFM/DFA right now and have been through 3 rounds of prototypes already, all of which included incremental design improvements. I want to make it a painless bolt in solution where someone could remove a WBX and install a K series in one day.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

Pchill2 wrote:

The kit design is coming along very nicely. I'm working through DFM/DFA right now and have been through 3 rounds of prototypes already,

I don't know what all that even mean but THANKS! The day will eventually come when my WBX doesn't cut the mustard and I'm glad that my options won't be limited to 20+ yr old Suby motors.
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

design for ease of manufacturing/design for ease of assembly
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

That's exciting!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
DIYCarLab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

Love what you have done here. I have a KEP adapter for K series to 6 rib and was thinking of doing the same with my bay or syncro.

I think these engines have more of a building torque curve from low RPMs which shouldn't hit the trans as hard while driving.

Nice to see you have more ground clearance than many subaru swaps as well.

Love the engine cradle you designed.
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

DIYCarLab wrote:
Love what you have done here. I have a KEP adapter for K series to 6 rib and was thinking of doing the same with my bay or syncro.

I think these engines have more of a building torque curve from low RPMs which shouldn't hit the trans as hard while driving.

Nice to see you have more ground clearance than many subaru swaps as well.

Love the engine cradle you designed.

Thank you! If you decide to do a k swap let me know if you have any questions. A bay window would rip with a k series!

I get a lot of satisfaction from not needing to down shift when climbing steep mountain roads. My theory is the lack of torque on WBX probably leads to premature gearbox failures due to the constant rowing of gears necessary to maintain speeds on roads of any incline. Banging a 4-3 or 3-2 downshift puts a massive peak torque load on the gear sets. In that case it’s not about engine torque and all about rotating inertia of the engine as it syncs with the driveline speeds.

It’s got great power where it needs it but I still drive it as if the gear teeth are made of softened butter.
thomas73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

Really psyched to have another option on the horizon.
https://tenor.com/view/take-my-money-gif-20103453

(Also nice to see what life can be like when you don’t have the procrastination gene. Wink )
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

Pchill2 wrote:
My fuel gauge has been more than a minor irritant. I swapped out a brand new sender when I had the powertrain out but upon fueling the gauge would only reach maybe 1/2-3/4 of a tank.

The sender is the aftermarket (non-VDO) unit. Upon inspection of the sender that I pulled out, it was in fact an aftermarket sender as well.

Pulled out the filler tube to see what was going on in there. You can see in the pictures that the float is hovering above the fuel line and the armature is contacting the stop tabs. Just as a note, the van was jacked up on one side so the fuel level looks higher on the sender side than it actually was.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I didn't feel like puling the sender out and calibrating it according to the GoWesty instruction and attempted to bend the float arm downwards without disturbing the limiting tab on the sending unit.

I did this with the jack handle from my engine hoist by engaging the armature rod with the slotted tabs on the end. I twisted the arm until it came in contact with the bottom of the tank.

End result is a slightly mangled looking armature rod and a fully functioning fuel gauge...

Also worth mentioning that I drained and flushed the fuel tank while I was swapping the engine. You can see all the debris in the bottom of the tank that has accumulated in only a few fill ups.

Thank you so much for posting this. I was pulling my hair out on how to view the inside of the tank. even tried a boroscope. I called go westy and asked how to verify the float is on the bottom per their directions. They had no answer.

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

deepseeman wrote:

Thank you so much for posting this. I was pulling my hair out on how to view the inside of the tank. even tried a boroscope. I called go westy and asked how to verify the float is on the bottom per their directions. They had no answer.

I should pull it off and measure the angle with a protractor but as you can imagine it's hard to motivate myself to do that.

Fuel gauge works perfectly with the angle shown in the picture though.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

This build is very interesting, I completed a Bostig swap many years ago into my Syncro. It's been super reliable and my wife has traveled with our children to so many destinations, I've lost count!
I'm considering a K24 and these threads really help to understand how it comes together. Thank you!
deepseeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

Pchill2 wrote:
deepseeman wrote:

I should pull it off and measure the angle with a protractor but as you can imagine it's hard to motivate myself to do that.

BTW, how did you get that pic? Did you remove the seal too?

61' Double Cab-restored driver
91 SYNCRO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

LOVE the in-tank pics !!

Pchill2 wrote:
I get a lot of satisfaction from not needing to down shift

Addressed this in a cross-post (new thread) /PSA with 'theories' hatched by many discussions and collaborations and study with Tom Lengyel.

See post Big engine + NOT downshifting.... damages 4th gear

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

deepseeman wrote:
Pchill2 wrote:
deepseeman wrote:

BTW, how did you get that pic? Did you remove the seal too?

I removed the filler tube and held my cell phone as close to the hole as possible and took a picture with the flash on. I did not remove the grommet.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda K24 Swapped 87 Syncro Camper Build Reply with quote

Great build. Great thread. Smile

www.uniwerksdesign.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: