Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex heater secondhand or new?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

Our Espar diesel heater sips fuel. Our vanagon is diesel powered so for us it was a no brainer. I mention that because some owners have added a small diesel tank to their gas powered vans to run their heaters. Last time I was in Europe, diesel seemed to be more available than in the US.

Having had experience with a diesel powered heater, I’d likely spend the extra money for a gas powered heater. Save your propane for making coffee.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

i have a hs2000 and it won't really work unless you've got a very good house battery. as it needs to run electric fans, you cannot rely on it for more than a day or two without a charge. and once i plug in a battery charger, a $20 electric heater all of a sudden seems like a more sensible choice. :/

i would love to hear if my experience is not in line with yours. how many days of use can you get running a propex? i suppose how long you run it is a factor, eg, an hour here or there. i had hopes of winter camping/ski trips without power for at least a week.

my current house battery is a car battery (yes, i know, not ideal). i have a pair of dry deep cycle batteries to go in (~200 amp hours), but they weight at least as much as another passenger, so i'm not keen to keep them installed all the time. how many amp hours do you have on your propex setups?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
Meh. Throw in a CDH, like many Propex users have, and enjoy the hassle free dry heat that's easily attainable wherever you drive.

How much LP do you have currently? Nobody knows, lol.

To be clear:
- The Propex produces DRY heat just the same as a diesel heater. It's not a Mr. Heater.
- Ultrasonic propane tank gauges are readily available, accurate and simple to use.

atomatom wrote:

i would love to hear if my experience is not in line with yours. how many days of use can you get running a propex? i suppose how long you run it is a factor, eg, an hour here or there. i had hopes of winter camping/ski trips without power for at least a week.

my current house battery is a car battery (yes, i know, not ideal). i have a pair of dry deep cycle batteries to go in (~200 amp hours), but they weight at least as much as another passenger, so i'm not keen to keep them installed all the time. how many amp hours do you have on your propex setups?

Your experience sounds similar to mine. I don't run it all the time, usually in the evening and in the morning to cut the cold. I'm upgrading from 150ah AGM batteries to 280ah mLiFePo batteries (50 lbs) this week for all the benefits they bring, including running the Proper longer.

Proper has the benefits of using an on-board fuel but doesn't put out the BTUs of the diesel heaters.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

a weeks worth of winter heat is certainly going to cost alot of energy storage.

I don't snow camp, so my propex use won't compare to your needs
but when I'm camping for more than 3-4 days I toss an extra pair of Marine deep cycle batts in the camper.

you could tote along a generator, my buddy has a Ryobi 2200w unit that's really fairly quiet.. and uses that to run/charge stuff for extended stays. the new ones have Bluetooth for monitoring and shut down.
he uses a DIY'd crate to travel it in and then it acts as a weathershield/noise suppressor when camped. it is fairly frugal on fuel for the runtime/output needs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

thanks jim and dan. maybe i'll build some kind of enclosure so i can easily swap in these batteries. i was looking at the lifepo battery thread which has interesting ideas on places to put them. my propex is under the bench seat, which would be the obvious place for the batteries - i cut holes so the original hot air heater vent is also the propex vent.

the deep cycle batteries have been a great backup during power outages here, providing internet during the extended outages we get here in bc during windstorms. i suppose i could justify one of those tiny generators too, but i really hate the sound of generators when i'm camping. maybe one of those tiny silent ones.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the differential power usage espar vs propex.
My experience was that the propex would not ignite below ~20 deg F.
I live at/camp at sea level and adjusted the regulator but it neither propex I had would function. No problems when above 20. My guess has is that propane becomes to thick when cold.
An added bonus to removing the propex and going gas (fridge already swapped 12V only) is that I removed the underslung tank. Never thinking about fuel for the furnace is nice. So far (5+ years) the espar has worked flawlessly, has not required the cleaning that my diesel fired friends have had.
I recently helped a vanagon friend install a webasto gas fired furnace, his propex was also not functioning in cold temps.
Having installed both propane and gas furnaces the work involved about the same. Tappping into the gas line vs tapping into the propane line is the only difference. Both procedures are well covered in this forum.
SAMBA ON!
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I have the 2000 and it's marginal in terms of making the van warm and is nothing close to the CDH (chinese/cheap diesel heaters) available now.

Proper [Propex?] has the benefits of using an on-board fuel but doesn't put out the BTUs of the diesel heaters.

Laughing

BTUs are BTUs. Sized the same, they will be the same output.
Try a 2800, it will boil you out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
I have the 2000 and it's marginal in terms of making the van warm and is nothing close to the CDH (chinese/cheap diesel heaters) available now.

Proper [Propex?] has the benefits of using an on-board fuel but doesn't put out the BTUs of the diesel heaters.

Laughing

BTUs are BTUs. Sized the same, they will be the same output.
Try a 2800, it will boil you out.

I have a strong suspicion that my 2000 is less than 2000. i have not tested/replaced my regulator, but I suspect that could be part of it too.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

I had a similar suspicion a few years back. When I tested the propane pressure it was low, about 8 column inches. When I corrected this the temp of the air coming out of the vent increased from about 150F to 185F. It still doesn't heat the van to 70* but it does work better.

jimf909 wrote:
My Propex 2211 seemed to be underperforming compared to what I’d heard from others. Overall, it didn’t seem to get the van as warm as others would say and the temp at the outlet was about 150* F, less than Karl Mullendore’s (WestyVentures) suggested 190 - 200* F.

Karl often recommends checking the propane regulator for 11” water column. So I checked the Marshall two-stage regulator that the PO installed about a decade ago.

Manometer setup: 8’ of 5/16” id x 7/16” od clear hose attached to a board with horizontal lines at 1/2”. (Choose any diameter hose, physics doesn’t care.)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 7/16” hose fits nicely into a stove valve body with the stem removed (my Marshall two-stage regulator does not have ports where a manometer can be connected)...

Coffee tinted water (no food coloring in the house...I haven’t colored easter eggs in decades) at 0” with the main propane closed...

8” initial water column has the Propex delivering about 150* F at the outlet and sometimes cycling off...

Adjusting the Marshall two-stage regulator to a 12” water column has the Propex delivering 180* F at the outlet...

179.8 -185* F measured on three different thermometers...

I’ll still measure output temp at the furnace (I tested t briefly and saw 190* F) and add some insulation around the ducts to see if I can deliver more heat to the inside of the van.

Moral of the story, if your propane appliances aren’t working as expected, measure the regulator. Then track down the bugs and dust in the jets. (Moral #2, listen to Karl Smile )

Now I just need to wait for some cold weather to give it a good test!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

You can safely go to 13" w.c. as long as it lights well.
Much more will possibly overheat the combustion chamber. I replaced the chamber in one that a shop (that I won't name) decided 'a lot more is better' and melted holes in it.
FWIW, 2000 = input btu. Output btu = 1900 btu +/-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex heater secondhand or new? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

To be clear:
- The Propex produces DRY heat just the same as a diesel heater. It's not a Mr. Heater.
- Ultrasonic propane tank gauges are readily available, accurate and simple to use.

I guess you do learn something new everyday, thanks Jim!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: