Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1973Sport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I was recently looking at a 1973 Super Beetle. It seems the dash was cracked and a prior owner installed a plastic dash cover over the factory dash. It looks like the original dash, but it is just a thin plastic cover. The replacement cover has warped from heat. Does anyone have experience with these plastic covers and can share any tips on removal of the old and installation of the new cover. I know empi sells the plastic (ABS) cover. Before I make an offer I would like to know what is involved. Thanks in advance !
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

In all honesty, if it was done correctly, that cover should be nearly impossible to remove. The factory dash has a lot of complex curvature so for a cover to adhere properly, there must be adhesive on every surface with a curve.

You could try a heat gun in the hopes of softening the glue or, perhaps, slipping some thin knife blade between the cover and dash and working it off that way.

I once bought a used dash with a poorly glued cover that felt loose enough to pull off. When I did, where there WAS adhesive, chunks of dash came up with it. I ended up stripping off all of off the dash padding...which was also not an easy task.

The issue causing cracks is VW used materials(under padding and vinyl covering...what was available at the time) that expand at different rates when exposed to the sun. Any curved window Super that is parked in the sun for an extended period of time is going to have a cracked. So just as alternative suggestions, there's a company in SoCal, I'm sorry I can't recall the name, but they restore old dashes using modern materials that expand together at the same rate. But it's expensive, as you'd imagine. Cry once for a one and done. If you really like the factory dash.

Alternatively you could find an uncovered stock dash(with cracks, it SHOULDN'T be too expensive), and then install your empi cover. You could find a crack free dash from anything from '73-'79, and forgo the cover altogether. Any dash from 73-79 would work, although there are minor differences after '74, however, these tend to be expensive. Kerscher in Germany, as well as Just Dashes in SoCal have a fiberglass Porsche style dash that has room for additional guages. JD actually has a couple different styles of dash to suit the curved window Super.

Sorry, that's a long winded way to say there's not a lot you can do.

H2OSB
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

I’ve contacted Just Dashes before and I thought their prices were expensive. However, we have few options. I am pretty sure the price was around $1,400 (plus delivery there and back) and a three month turn around time. I've not made contact with another dash repair company to compare prices. It may just be a case of paying the price and consider it a worthwhile investment.

The previous owner of my Sun Bug installed the thin plastic dash cap, which cracked at the common spot on the right side of the instrument cluster. That was disappointing. They also sell the dash caps in fiberglass, which I expect are more durable and only cost a little more. The plastic or fiberglass dash caps do provide the illusion of a fine dash, but knowing of the ugly underneath makes me uneasy.

Best of luck and keep us updated on how you proceed, please.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

Lol, Just Dashes! I inadvertently remembered the name of dash restoration people. I MEANT Glass Action for the fiberglass dash options. Sorry for any confusion.

Yes, Just Dashes is very expensive. Glass Action has a nice fiberglass Porsche 911 style dash that is quite reasonable...$269 I believe, with an occasional sales for $239.

H2OSB
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

Probably would not let the dash be a deal breaker, unless completely ratted out or unsightly fiberglass/Bondo repair.
Almost ALL 73+ Super dashboards will either have some cracks, a plastic cover over the cracks, or a cracked plastic cover over the cracks.

As stated above, a heat gun used properly may help this situation with a new plastic cover applied, it may even help remove the current warpage.

Then again, you could always do this:
https://youtu.be/Jn7kaLdNeeA

Good Luck
1973Sport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it. The dash is important to me. Other then the windshield it is the part of the car I would be looking at the most when driving.

The other issue with the car is the infamous foam insulation in the rear of the cabin behind the rear side windows. It has failed and is bulging out the headliner. Also on the exterior there is paint bubbles near the vent where in the "c" pillar, right near the exterior vent. It is a shame because the car is really nice outside of these issues. For all those reasons I am tempted to pay up for a better example that needs less work.

Perhaps with Super Beetle prices climbing some company will make a replacement dash in the near future. Thanks again for the responses and I will update you all.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

Two members of my car club had me "fix" their cracked SB dashes.

I used 3M headliner glue and premium non backed speaker cabinet fabric. One was gray & the other was black. They both came out nice & had 2 very satisfied customers.
I used the dog grooming clippers to shave down the pile of the black one cuz it was hard to keep clean.

I tend to think outside the box.

Best luck ... stay safe

jinx

PS :
Rust &/or systems are important but my ride is a 100 footer.

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Two members of my car club had me "fix" their cracked SB dashes.

I used 3M headliner glue and premium non backed speaker cabinet fabric. One was gray & the other was black. They both came out nice & had 2 very satisfied customers.
I used the dog grooming clippers to shave down the pile of the black one cuz it was hard to keep clean.

I tend to think outside the box.

Best luck ... stay safe

jinx

PS :
Rust &/or systems are important but my ride is a 100 footer.

Interesting, does the fabric mold especially well to curves? Can you see the glue through the grid?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

@ Buggeee ...

I used to build & install high end automotive sound systems starting in about 2000. This includes custom built subwoofer boxes using Theile/Small parameters. I'm talking stoopid loud yet clear ; booming lows, accurate mids, & crisp highs. They were tailored for the type of music - rock, rap, country, etc.

I mostly used speaker carpet from "parts express dot com" & came in red, blue, camel, light/dark gray, & black. I found it a better quality than what I found in the stereo shops as it would confirm to complex surfaces with minimal stretching or wrinkling. The secret is to mist on the adhesive & allow to tack up then a medium coat then put on surface & poke or stretch. I used a J-roller for the flats & a combination of plastic trim dollies, empty cigar tubes, & assorted stuff ... all with rounded corners. I only applied the adhesive to the carpet, not the box. One of my "go-tos" was an empty bubble blowing solution tube from the toy section at Wally World. Lol.
My most popular was a plastic skull that looked like it was pushing out of the sub box with LED lights in the eye sockets - very difficult to make the carpet conform to the contours but looked kool.
Always cut with a new razor.

Sorry for long response ... practice on something & it'll come together.

Best of luck ... stay safe

jinx

Short answer :
Use premium carpet, mist coat & let it tack up, spray medium coat (only to carpet) & apply to surface either stretching or rubbing with rounded plastic applicators.

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

1973Sport wrote:
The other issue with the car is the infamous foam insulation in the rear of the cabin behind the rear side windows. It has failed and is bulging out the headliner. Also on the exterior there is paint bubbles near the vent where in the "c" pillar, right near the exterior vent.

The death foam rot should be your biggest concern. On an otherwise nice rust free bug that is just a nasty repair that's not worth it. I bought a total rust bucket and cut the C pillar out and replaced it. Not a small job but on a POS no biggie, but on a nice bug, I'd avoid one with C pillar rust.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1973Sport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

Here is a photo, not sure why it is sideways, of the rust under the C pillar which is making the paint bubble on an otherwise nice car. The foam is also bulging behind it through the liner on the inside of the car on both sides (driver and passenger). I am concerned how bad this could be as this is part of the structure of the car. I feel it may reach a point where I might be underwater on this car quickly as the selling price is near full book value.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

1973Sport wrote:
Here is a photo, not sure why it is sideways, of the rust under the C pillar which is making the paint bubble on an otherwise nice car. The foam is also bulging behind it through the liner on the inside of the car on both sides (driver and passenger). I am concerned how bad this could be as this is part of the structure of the car. I feel it may reach a point where I might be underwater on this car quickly as the selling price is near full book value.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would take a magnet and check and see if there’s Bondo where that paint is bubbling through. If there is no bondo it’s probably the first time it’s rusting through you might grind that down and find it’s not horrible. If it’s already horrible and full of bondo then you’re in deep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1973Sport
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-79 Super Beetle Dash Board Reply with quote

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. One has to be cautious with a 50 year old car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: