Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vacuum pod for Cruise Control
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Looking to replace the vacuum pod (not the vacuum pump) for the cruise control in the engine bay. I think the diaphragm is leaking. Can’t seem to find one online. Yes, I saw the used one offered in the classifieds.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
I think the diaphragm is leaking.

You can test that by applying vacuum and see if it holds. have you tried to test it?

what doesn't work about the used ones in the classifieds?

I may have some form pulled conversions but they too would be used.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

077 133 185M put this number into Google, I found it on E bay.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bheins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

I think that's that part number is for the manifold. Try 077198327A
Stacey, have you used one of these in the vanagon?

Bernie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

I have not used one. It looked the right part number. The Audis use them fir their VVT. Same part, you just change the connector to what you need.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Saw those on eBay. Wasn’t sure if it was the correct part.

Tornado Red
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Saw those on eBay. Wasn’t sure if it was the correct part.

Even if the bracket is different, you can swap it out Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
satchmo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Older Range Rovers also use the same vacuum pod, and I think you can find them new/unused if you look around.

Satchmo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

I have used the part mentioned by Stacy. It needs a slight modification. Works perfect. I bought it from one of the Samba members.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:
I think the diaphragm is leaking.

You can test that by applying vacuum and see if it holds. have you tried to test it?

I did test the pod with vacuum and it does seem to hold. However, it only moves the throttle body lever a very short distance. Is this normal?

Tornado Red
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

If the vacuum actuator "holds" a vacuum, then it is good. When you say that the actuator only opens the throttle a bit, how much vacuum are you applying?

The reason I ask those questions and make those comments is that the typical problems with the Vanagon cruise control (which is essentially the same system used across all VW and Audi cars in the same years), is that the most common problems are:

1. The vacuum/electric switches at the brake pedal and the clutch pedal can develop vacuum leaks which will result in the throttle only opening a bit while the vacuum pump keeps pumping away;

2. The vacuum hoses can be damaged by light, ozone, etc and develop leaks;

The vacuum/electric switches can be restored quite nicely by disassembling and replacing the o-ring and applying oil in the cylinder in which the o-ring slides. See this excellent youtube video from Van-Again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcIL_K9H8zQ

Don't bother buying the new replacement vacuum/electric switches. Restoring your OEM ones is dead simple.

The other frequent headache with these CC systems is the tendency for the turn signal stalk CC switch to get coated with schmutz on the electrical contacts. That is repairable also. Those stalk switches are NLA, so you will have no choice but to repair if that problem crops up. Here is a thread that shows you how to do that job:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677602

One final comment: The CC computer is designed to tell the vacuum pump to "give up" after a few seconds if the CC is attempting to increase throttle opening, but the vehicle does not speed up. This is designed to anticipate a vacuum leak and keep the vacuum pump from burning itself up.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:

1. The vacuum/electric switches at the brake pedal and the clutch pedal can develop vacuum leaks which will result in the throttle only opening a bit while the vacuum pump keeps pumping away;

Yep, all that in the full post and specifically on this - remove the front hoses connection on the gizmo in the engine bay and plug the nipple and run only on electric switches. if that works, you know its the switches/hoses.

If that works, then fix the redundant vacuum switches/lines or DON'T and go on with life with just electric switches like all other systems do.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Did I sell you the pod?

It held air when you close the ports. Tested it with wd40 on the rubber as welts check for cracks.

I would inspect the hoses as well. They become brittle anywhere they bend.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
One final comment: The CC computer is designed to tell the vacuum pump to "give up" after a few seconds if the CC is attempting to increase throttle opening, but the vehicle does not speed up. This is designed to anticipate a vacuum leak and keep the vacuum pump from burning itself up.

hmmm.... the OE system i installed on my 87 from an 89 donor doesn't do that. it'll keep the throttle mashed on a long uphill or headwind indefinitely.

i've improved the vacuum on two VW/Audi CC by sucking a mild soap water solution thru the intake port. LOTS of dirt came out and the vacuum inches improved. can't remember what those pumps produce in terms of vacuum but i DO remember the cleaning resulted in a several inches improvement.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

The instructions in the "how to" thread sited by Howesite can be a bit distructive, breaking the part of the plastic that keeps the switch from sliding out. The thread "Cruise Control Switch Secret - Revealed - Video" shows a safer method to disassemble and some simple tests to determine if you need to take it apart at all.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

OK. I think I'll have another look at the brake vacuum switch. I have cleaned and serviced it, but perhaps I did not adjust it properly when reinstalling it.

Tornado Red
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

I should have mentioned there is an excellent troubleshooting guide for the cruise control in the Bentley manual.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
OK. I think I'll have another look at the brake vacuum switch. I have cleaned and serviced it, but perhaps I did not adjust it properly when reinstalling it.

i find it somewhat amusing that VW felt the need for a "belt and suspenders" approach to cancelling the the cruise by having both a vacuum break and an electrical switch. this is a vehicle with the lowest power to weight ratio VW ever made with factory cruise, excepting Bays if they ever had it. on a VR6 Jetta, i can see it. a Vanagon in 4th is in little danger of uncontrolled acceleration.

anyway, the vac system switches are one of THREE ways the cruise is cancelled... 1) vac, 2) pedal electrical switch, 3) brake light circuit. well, 4 counting the key.

my point in all this is that you can increase your cruise reliability multi-fold by eliminating the pedal vac lines, not to mention reducing the volume of air that must be evacuated to actuate. of course, have your attorney sign off that this is a proper thing to do but some of us live on the ragged edge.

the OE VW cruise has really good physics on the Vanagon... smooth actuation, full use of throttle travel, good speed control to +- 0.5mph.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Hey Dan:

I totally agree on the failsafe overkill that VW (and Audi) employed on their cruise control. I made my own cheap cruise control from junkyard VW and Audi parts, more as a lark than to save money. I did not use the vacuum valve aspect, although I did use the electric part of those switches.

The CC control computer also receives an input from the brake pressure switch on the brake master cylinder. Double redundancy is good enough for me.

I suspect that the whole VAG group was so spooked by the Audi 5000 "unintended acceleration" myth/debacle/hype that they went overboard on their CC systems in the '80's.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum pod for Cruise Control Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:

OK, I pulled the vacuum switch above the brake pedal again (AT version has only one). I had inverted the copper contacts on the internal shaft when I reassembled it previously. Embarassed Corrected my mistake and “voila” we have cruise control again!

Mods — please add “SOLVED” to topic title

Tornado Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: