Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubelwagen front axle dismantling
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cobra216
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

Hello,
I have an issue with a VW82 front axle. I think the bakelite (?) rings in the front axle tube must be changed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I started to dismantle the wheels, and one steering ball joint is impossible to dismantle. If somebody knows what tool can be used for this... I will appreciate some help.

When this will be dismantled I will have a view of the rings status and also the arms.
Are there any tips / tools to use to remove the rings ? I found nothing in my books...

I understand changing the rings is good but arms should also be adjusted. My arms are 37mm diameter (maybe a bit oval) and a new ring is 36,2mm.... don't know what to do.. not sure arms can be adjusted with lathe milling...

Thanks for all you could do to help me (and the others that are in the same situation as me).[/img]
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

Hi - Looks like you have a nice Kubel there.

To separate the track rod end from the stub axle, you need to use a ball joint splitter like this one.

Do not use the simple Y shaped splitter, unless you want to damage things. Plus, some heat before splitting might be of help.

The original rings, as you call them (bushes), are made from a substance called Micarta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta, which is a phenolic resin. Original NOS ones can be found from time to time, or you could even use newer silcone ones, intended for Beach Buggy type use.

These generally need reaming out before fitting, or if you are careful, if already in situ, I've used a round file before now, to gently file some of the micarta out.

Check the ovality of the trailing arm pivot surface. With the weight of the vehicle, wear occurs more on the upper surface of this, and the bush (ring), but if you aren't happy with your own judgement of wear limits, ask someone who is. Whatever you do, don't do anything silly with the trailing arm, as they are difficult to find, and can be repaired by metal spraying if badly worn.

Perhaps you could provide close up photos of these bearing surfaces for viewers to see?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

If you don't have a puller to separate the tie rod from the knuckle, hitting the knuckle on the side where the tie rod stud goes through will always break them loose. Keep the nut on the tie rod stud in case you miss with the hammer. That way you won't damage the threads on the tie rod.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cobra216
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback. I just ordered a ball joint spiller.
Will keep you updated when I will use it.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

VW had a special tool for reaming the bushings after they were pressed into the beam. I think reaching the inner bushing would be difficult. Maybe press it into the tube, but not all the way in, ream it, and then press it to the proper depth. Then do the outer bushing.
I recently considered doing this with my milling machine and a boring head, but the setup was going to be tricky.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2502860
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

cobra216 wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. I just ordered a ball joint spiller.
Will keep you updated when I will use it.

To spread the load, run the castellated nut to the end of the thread, so that the nut is flush with the end of thread. If in doubt, use a coin in between the two, so that that gets damaged, rather than the ball joint thread. If it doesn't come out easily, really wind up the tension, and then hit the stub axle arm part with a hammer. Don't go mad! Heat often helps in these situations if you get stuck. If in doubt, walk away, and come back later to try again!
cobra216
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

Some news.
I tried to use the ball joint splitter but it seems I need to destroy the rubber before using it. As this is hard to find, I prefer to wait a bit and try to find another solution.

I have prepared a tool to remove the brushes.
Everything looks good but I did not manage to remove the brush... I do not understand...
Will try again tomorrow.

cobra216
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

Good news, the first brush is out...
The second one may be tricky...

virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

They can be hit out by a long rod with the same special washer like you have in your tool.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cobra216
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Kubelwagen front axle dismantling Reply with quote

Thanks Mika.

The second bushing is out !
Now need to order new ones and ask sbd to ream them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: