Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this what I think it is?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CapeBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

Doing a complete tune up on my week old 68 buggy. Have no maintenance history on it, so doing everything. FYI, not much VW experience, but plenty on many other types of engines.
Dropped the screen to clean and this was sitting as you see it. Engine runs fine, no noticeable noises. Find it odd that this would be able to pop out. When assembled, does the wrist pin drop below the bottom of jug?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

No they do not! If you do not have severe compression loss on one cylinder then that is left over from someone's wrenching efforts. And now that I think about it, that thing is in pristine condition so it is definitely not out of one of your existing pistons. If it were it would be beat beyond recognition by the time it got that far.

P.S. Watch for a 10mm socket too I'm always one short at the end of the day! Wink
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

Could have been dropped and lost during assembly. Hopefully.
I took apart a stock Buick 350 that had a connecting rod nut in the oil pan. And it wasn’t missing any.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

Bad joke, but i suspect you're cam and lifters are going south. Sure is a lot of thick goo on the plate.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CapeBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Bad joke, but i suspect you're cam and lifters are going south. Sure is a lot of thick goo on the plate.

Glenn, thanks for responding. Curious why you zero in on cam/lifters? Can you elaborate? I too was concerned about the color/consistency of the oil. For the 3 qts it takes, I will be monitoring it very closely moving forward.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CapeBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
No they do not! If you do not have severe compression loss on one cylinder then that is left over from someone's wrenching efforts. And now that I think about it, that thing is in pristine condition so it is definitely not out of one of your existing pistons. If it were it would be beat beyond recognition by the time it got that far.

P.S. Watch for a 10mm socket too I'm always one short at the end of the day! Wink

OPRN, Thanks for the response! Good point on it not being beat up!! I feel a little better! I also have a few missing 10's!! Will put you on the list if one shows up in the spline or??? Laughing
CapeBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

I do have an odd "miss" on the 3/4 side that seems more evident when cold. To be honest, still havn't even driven on the road yet. GOing to do a compression and if needed a leak down on that side. I did adjust the valves, they weren't bad. Time will tell...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

PICTURES! WE NEED PICTURES!! Very Happy Very Happy

Ooops! I found one... worth it's weight in... gold? Wink Rolling Eyes

CapeBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
PICTURES! WE NEED PICTURES!! Very Happy Very Happy

Ooops! I found one... worth it's weight in... gold? Wink Rolling Eyes

Yep, that's it! Clearcoat needs to be redone, but it is unique and will be my summer toy!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

Do you have an external oil cooler or aftermarket shroud with no flaps? Did tge car make a lot of short trips? Looks like your oil is not getting near hot enough (or changed enough) and it is sludging up.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

^^^This!^^^
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

I'm going to think the previous owner did the quick drain plug oil change most of the time so the goo could be from long term build up.

When my dad and I finished working on my mom's '67 we would always have a can of parts we didn't put back on-not sure why, but that retainer clip would go into the can and we'd show mom at the end...saying "it's running, but we got all these extra parts we didn't need"... Very Happy
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this what I think it is? Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
I'm going to think the previous owner did the quick drain plug oil change most of the time so the goo could be from long term build up.
Very Happy

The problem with that thinking is that while it may be true, few is any other engine on the planet has a plate you pull off the bottom to clean the pick up screen and they don't suffer from sludge build up because of it. I would still look at your cooling system and take some temperatures after it's been run for a while and gotten "up to temp"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: