Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

Hello smart battery people, could someone please look over my setup and let me know if I'm missing something obvious?

As I understand the manuals and other reading I've done, all the negative circuits need to pass through the Victron 712 shunt from the load side to the battery side in order to see the battery activity.
I've included a three way manual switch to change the charging source from the Victron AC charger to the Redarc DC/DC charger. And added a redundant Redarc low voltage disconnect to protect the battery from total discharge from the Victron BMV712.
Battery is a 100ah self heating LiFePo4 from Renogy.
Hope the drawing is clear enough.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong in your circuitry (nice drawing, BTW), but I think it would be good to have CrazyVanMan Mark chime in. I just read the directions for each component in my system and muddled through in that way.

I drove the Syncro to work today (gotta run it from time to time) and noticed, for the first time, that the Redarc BCDC 1240 has a low-temperature cutoff. Nice.

Our Vancouver temps have not been that cold, but the van was parked outside for a week, and the Redarc would not charge this morning at first. The LED's blinked out the "low unit temp" signal, so I ran the CDH (blowing warm air towards the Redarc) for a few minutes while running an errand. That was enough to get the Redarc to start charging. This was not a feature that I was aware of, as far as I recall from reading the Redarc manual months ago. I suspect that this feature is engaged when you choose the LiFePo4 setting on the Redarc. In your neck of the woods, you will likely see this in operation more than I will here.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

That's exactly how I wired a BMV712 in a house system and how I plan to wire it in my van later this week: first thing after the negative battery post. I've found I use the Victron Connect app on my phone 97% of the time because it's easier to use and provides more info in a single screen.

Do you have a plan for wire gauges? I mostly used 6awg with smaller wires on the solar side.

One last point: you can pick up the starter battery positive from the battery, the starter, the alternator or the junction box in the engine bay (assuming wire gauge is adequate which I assume it would be), no need to run a separate wire.

(I'm not claiming to being a battery smart person. Wink )

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

I’m the furthest thing from an expert when it comes to these things. I’ve posted this in other threads. After I installed my DC to DC charger, I realized I did not want the auto charging feature. There are times, when I don’t need it on. Actually most of the time. My 20 amp charger will recover the battery from overnight in less than an hour. I have also read in multiple places Lithium batteries would rather not be charged at 100% SOC when stored. Our van sits a lot. It’s really up to the individual. I added a small toggle and LED on a small bracket using a steering column bolt. Don’t like drilling holes. To ensure I don’t have the dc to dc charger powered up during starting, my toggle gets power from the X or defogger circuit. Similar to using the alternator D+ circuit in your drawing.

My Lithium battery BMS has Bluetooth and I use my phone app to monitor the SOC, loads, and charging. No solar.
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

The low voltage disconnect is essentially redundant and not necessary. Wont hurt though but you could exclude it from your system to save a few bucks. The Renogy battery has it's own low voltage disconnect in the internal BMS.

The BMV 712 is nice but the bluetooth smart shunt will keep you from needing to mount an additional monitor somewhere in your van. The Victron bluetooth connection is very reliable in my experience.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard wrote:
I’m the furthest thing from an expert when it comes to these things.
He couldn't have said it better for me. However, I do have a couple of questions. What is a safety block? And why do you want the shore power grounded to the car? I see only a two wire shore power system. Is that what you intend, or will you have a three wire installation with GFIs? On boats, the 110v ground should NEVER be grounded to common normally 12vdc grounded items. It seems unnecessary and a risk for a problem when it is not required. Imagine having shore power in your car by way of an extension cord. Doesn't that work just fine?

I also like a negative battery switch for either working on the electrical components, theft protection or a kill for everything in the event of a fire or crash.

Duncan
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to look over my drawing!

Howesight wrote:
I see nothing wrong in your circuitry (nice drawing, BTW), but I think it would be good to have CrazyVanMan Mark chime in. I just read the directions for each component in my system and muddled through in that way.

I drove the Syncro to work today (gotta run it from time to time) and noticed, for the first time, that the Redarc BCDC 1240 has a low-temperature cutoff. Nice.

Our Vancouver temps have not been that cold, but the van was parked outside for a week, and the Redarc would not charge this morning at first. The LED's blinked out the "low unit temp" signal, so I ran the CDH (blowing warm air towards the Redarc) for a few minutes while running an errand. That was enough to get the Redarc to start charging. This was not a feature that I was aware of, as far as I recall from reading the Redarc manual months ago. I suspect that this feature is engaged when you choose the LiFePo4 setting on the Redarc. In your neck of the woods, you will likely see this in operation more than I will here.

Thanks for the kind words. That is the cleaned up rendering of several pages of chicken scratching so I could take a picture. Laughing
Yep, we camp in very cold weather sometimes so we got the self heating Renogy which draws power from the alt/shore power to heat the battery up enough for charging. Also have the battery located right next to where the Propex lives so hopefully some of that heat will help keep the battery unfrozen on those really cold mornings.

jimf909 wrote:
That's exactly how I wired a BMV712 in a house system and how I plan to wire it in my van later this week: first thing after the negative battery post. I've found I use the Victron Connect app on my phone 97% of the time because it's easier to use and provides more info in a single screen.
Do you have a plan for wire gauges? I mostly used 6awg with smaller wires on the solar side.
One last point: you can pick up the starter battery positive from the battery, the starter, the alternator or the junction box in the engine bay (assuming wire gauge is adequate which I assume it would be), no need to run a separate wire.
(I'm not claiming to being a battery smart person. Wink )

This business of using a phone to monitor the charging system is all new to me and will most likely be the chore of my partner who is more "smart phone" savvy than me. I use the cheapest iPhone for basically just phone calls! Eh? so I like having a physical gauge to interface with the system.
I didn't bother to list the various wire gauges (I could add if someone wants) but I'm using #4 for the longer runs and combined loads, and #6 & #8 for others.
As for the positive, I debated about where to pick up and since every wiring diagram I've seen from the various companies always show using the starting battery positive post I'm going with that. Have to admit a shorter wire from the alternator is attractive, I just don't know enough to decide if there's any drawbacks of that method. (Weird feedback loops?)

MarkWard wrote:
I’m the furthest thing from an expert when it comes to these things. I’ve posted this in other threads. After I installed my DC to DC charger, I realized I did not want the auto charging feature. There are times, when I don’t need it on. Actually most of the time. My 20 amp charger will recover the battery from overnight in less than an hour. I have also read in multiple places Lithium batteries would rather not be charged at 100% SOC when stored. Our van sits a lot. It’s really up to the individual. I added a small toggle and LED on a small bracket using a steering column bolt. Don’t like drilling holes. To ensure I don’t have the dc to dc charger powered up during starting, my toggle gets power from the X or defogger circuit. Similar to using the alternator D+ circuit in your drawing.

My Lithium battery BMS has Bluetooth and I use my phone app to monitor the SOC, loads, and charging. No solar.

The three way switch I'm putting on the charging source has an "off" position so I can prevent any charging of the battery.
The blue trigger wire on the Redarc is for the new "smart alternators" Not a power up signal. I should relabel as "alt trigger"
Hadn't thought of that idea of using a separate toggle at the dash to cut charging during engine start (my Zetec starts very easy, so maybe not needed?) Do you have it hooked to a relay on the positive charging source?

Pchill2 wrote:
The low voltage disconnect is essentially redundant and not necessary. Wont hurt though but you could exclude it from your system to save a few bucks. The Renogy battery has it's own low voltage disconnect in the internal BMS.
The BMV 712 is nice but the bluetooth smart shunt will keep you from needing to mount an additional monitor somewhere in your van. The Victron bluetooth connection is very reliable in my experience.

The Redarc 1225D manual shows the addition of the LVD as part of LiFePo4 setups and should indeed be redundant if the battery has good BMS for low voltage. My concern are warnings I've read about for the Victron 712's very low current draw sneaking power from the battery over long periods of non-use. The extra expense seems like good insurance.

DuncanS wrote:
I’m the furthest thing from an expert when it comes to these things.
What is a safety block? And why do you want the shore power grounded to the car? I see only a two wire shore power system. Is that what you intend, or will you have a three wire installation with GFIs? On boats, the 110v ground should NEVER be grounded to common normally 12vdc grounded items. It seems unnecessary and a risk for a problem when it is not required. Imagine having shore power in your car by way of an extension cord. Doesn't that work just fine?
I also like a negative battery switch for either working on the electrical components, theft protection or a kill for everything in the event of a fire or crash.

Safety block is just a name for a heavy duty fuse block using MIDI fuses for larger loads (look it up)
The 120v system is the stock Westy shore power, grounded to the power source. I'm using the stock outlet under the sink for the power to the Victron AC charger.
I didn't see the need to render a precise drawing of that side.
As for an additional 2 way switch for the negative side I've ordered one but forgot to include in drawing. Good catch, I'll add it.

I really appreciate the comments and would welcome any feedback if my thinking on any of this is skewed.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

This business of using a phone to monitor the charging system is all new to me and will most likely be the chore of my partner who is more "smart phone" savvy than me. I use the cheapest iPhone for basically just phone calls! Eh? so I like having a physical gauge to interface with the system.
I didn't bother to list the various wire gauges (I could add if someone wants) but I'm using #4 for the longer runs and combined loads, and #6 & #8 for others.
As for the positive, I debated about where to pick up and since every wiring diagram I've seen from the various companies always show using the starting battery positive post I'm going with that. Have to admit a shorter wire from the alternator is attractive, I just don't know enough to decide if there's any drawbacks of that method. (Weird feedback loops?)
[

If you're not a phone user you'll like the BMV712 display: the buttons have a pleasant 'click'; use is relatively intuitive and I found the user's manual to be clear and concise.

We seem to be at a similar stage in our builds. I'll be connecting to battery positive at the alternator. It's ridiculously accessible on the Bostig and near where the DC-DC charger will live in the closet. I'll let you know if it causes any gremlins but you may already be running your system by then. Maybe some of the more knowledgable people will chime-in on this. Wink

As for the BMV-712 draw, an option is to add a negative cutoff between the battery and the shunt. The low voltage cutoff is good insurance - and far better than relying on the BMS cutoff which should be a last resort - but I'd prefer not relying on it to protect the battery. If the van will be in storage then disconnect the battery at the negative to disconnect the shunt and its draw. FWIW.

Enjoy your building!

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
[

We seem to be at a similar stage in our builds. I'll be connecting to battery positive at the alternator. It's ridiculously accessible on the Bostig and near where the DC-DC charger will live in the closet. I'll let you know if it causes any gremlins but you may already be running your system by then. Maybe some of the more knowledgable people will chime-in on this. Wink

As for the BMV-712 draw, an option is to add a negative cutoff between the battery and the shunt. The low voltage cutoff is good insurance - and far better than relying on the BMS cutoff which should be a last resort - but I'd prefer not relying on it to protect the battery. If the van will be in storage then disconnect the battery at the negative to disconnect the shunt and its draw. FWIW.
Enjoy your building!

I'm hoping to be up and running this week.
Yep, that was my thinking also. And since my new system will not have any provision for charging the start battery it makes sense to bypass the start battery, however, the two systems will be interlinked anyway through the alternator/starter link so it doesn't really matter. Right?
I started a thread about this issue a while back and got reassurances going directly to the alt seems ok, but I couldn't find any collaborating info anywhere else so was still cautious.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775425&highlight=

Are you also adding an additional ground from the alternator?

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

I think the BMV712 power is over the same small cable labeled "battery temp".
If so it is on the battery side of the low voltage protection device.

Mark

MsTaboo wrote:
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to look over my drawing!

Pchill2 wrote:

The Redarc 1225D manual shows the addition of the LVD as part of LiFePo4 setups and should indeed be redundant if the battery has good BMS for low voltage. My concern are warnings I've read about for the Victron 712's very low current draw sneaking power from the battery over long periods of non-use. The extra expense seems like good insurance.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I think the BMV712 power is over the same small cable labeled "battery temp".
If so it is on the battery side of the low voltage protection device.
Mark

Good point! Yes, if you don't use the battery temp device you have to power the shunt with a wire to the positive side.
Too bad I can't run it to the far side of the LVD and still get battery temp.
Thanks for catching that.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

Any feedback about the T-Tocas 50amp circuit breaker on the starter/alt line?
I've read some negative opinions about using these thermal breakers vs a magnetic breaker but that T-Tocas (and others like it) seem to get good reviews.
Is there a compelling reason to use one over the other?

My setup is pretty low power. 100ah battery powering my Edgestar fridge, Propex, and a couple LED lights. I might add a small power amp to the stereo in the future.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

Yep, that was my thinking also. And since my new system will not have any provision for charging the start battery it makes sense to bypass the start battery, however, the two systems will be interlinked anyway through the alternator/starter link so it doesn't really matter. Right?
I started a thread about this issue a while back and got reassurances going directly to the alt seems ok, but I couldn't find any collaborating info anywhere else so was still cautious.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775425&highlight=

Are you also adding an additional ground from the alternator?

Yes. I figure the cabling is already in place from the battery to the alt. so I'll just continue it. Your previous thread has some highly reliable sources confirming this.

Yes, I ran a separate ground from the alt. to the body a few years back so that's in place.

Abscate wrote:

1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

Seriously folks, take a night class at your local community college, ELEC101.

BK
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
Seriously folks, take a night class at your local community college, ELEC101.BK

Thank you for such a helpful post!
But you'er right, I should drive 44 miles round trip to the nearest community collage for ELEC101, oops, they don't offer that class. Well I could drive two hundred miles to another CC, humm...seems they don't offer either. Crying or Very sad

Or I could draw on almost fifty years of working on old cars and such, research and read for a few hours, study the manuals that come with the products I bought, draw up a wiring diagram, take a picture, download and post to the Samba, and ask politely for input from others who have, or are working on lithium aux battery setups.
By the way, how well is your lithium setup working?

I did contact Redarc and asked them about running a wire directly from the alternator, this was their short reply:
"With the BCDC this should be wired to the start battery as it requires to see the voltage of the start battery on the input."

I have asked them to clarify why the charger needs to read the start battery voltage in order to charge a separate lithium aux battery. Still waiting for that reply.
Included the same drawing but with a direct positive cable to the alternator instead of start battery. I'll post any reply I get.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
[]
I did contact Redarc and asked them about running a wire directly from the alternator, this was their short reply:
"With the BCDC this should be wired to the start battery as it requires to see the voltage of the start battery on the input."

I have asked them to clarify why the charger needs to read the start battery voltage in order to charge a separate lithium aux battery. Still waiting for that reply.
Included the same drawing but with a direct positive cable to the alternator instead of start battery. I'll post any reply I get.

Their reasoning is that the starter battery should be happily charging at 13.6V or above before the LFP is allowed to take any charge, so they specify connecting directly to the starter battery. This is to prevent the LPF from sucking all the charge should there be a problem with the wiring causing a larger than normal voltage drop between alternator and starter battery.

*If* your wiring is currently in tip-top condition, you could connect to the alternator instead - it's what I've done. Just be aware that if there is any problem, you might have to use your LFP battery to jump-start the van. Wink
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

I guess what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is this; even if the start battery is drawing off voltage to recharge it's low state, wouldn't the voltage drop still be noticeable from a wire attached directly to the alternator?

e.g. the alternator is putting out 14.7 but drops to 13.5 because of a low start battery, wouldn't a wire connected directly to the alternator see 13.5?
So, the Redarc would know there's a load and adjust it's output to the aux?

I understand that the condition of the wiring to the start battery could have an effect on voltage drop compared to a reading directly at the alternator. But if the wiring is good doesn't the above apply?

I will go ahead with plans to connect to the start battery to play safe, but it's fun to noddle out the differences.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

Redarc don't know what sort of alternator you have, and whether it's capable of supplying both a full charge to the starter battery (can be 20A or more for a few minutes) as well as a full charge to the LFP (again, 20A or whatever your device charges at). So they play safe.

*IF* you have an upgraded alternator from the original, then *perhaps* it's OK to connect to the alternator. As I wrote above, this is what I've done. But if your alternator is original, it's pretty much essential to connect to the starter battery, as that is the most important one to get a proper charge, and ASAP after starting.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

I apologize for my suggestion of formally/truly learning how and why electrical circuits work the way they do and don’t. If you had more mastery of the topic, none of your original questions would have been asked nor the problems with your diagram been considered in the first place. Years of service working are cars is no qualification to this matter. Trust me when I say that once you solidly get your head around the basics, the rest is easy.

Cheers,

BK
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 w/ Redarc 1225D & Victron BMV712 & Vic IP65 Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
I apologize for my suggestion of formally/truly learning how and why electrical circuits work the way they do and don’t. If you had more mastery of the topic, none of your original questions would have been asked nor the problems with your diagram been considered in the first place. Years of service working are cars is no qualification to this matter. Trust me when I say that once you solidly get your head around the basics, the rest is easy.
Cheers,BK

Yes, thank you for patting yourself on the back.
How about you use your mastery of the topic and tell me just what exactly is wrong with my layout?

As I understand it (with my poor comprehension) all I missed was the .7ah per month that the Victron 712 will draw off through the battery temp sensor ahead of the Redarc low voltage disconnect.
(which if I opted not to use I could run the power for the 712 after the LVD)
And the drawing doesn't show the negative shut off on the cable between the shunt and battery which I've bought but forgot to include.
(oh yeah, I also forgot to include the ground for the LED off the Redarc)

Again, let's see a diagram of your lithium aux battery alternator/shore/solar power charging setup, I'm sure it's perfect and a guide for everyone. Very Happy

Posts like yours are really not helpful, obviously everyone would benefit from more education about everything we do, but this is not always available or practicable and the reason forums like the Samba are popular; so people who don't know can ask people who do.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: