Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Autofonder-Vehicle-1986lb-U...B09X17XTGF

So I have a tandem axle utility trailer that's not equipped with tie down rings and wondered if these trailer chocks might be ok for towing my '66 bug? I realize the ratchets require room under the fenders but I won't be lowering mine and thought the weight would be safe for a car as small as a bug? Your thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

Not these particular tie downs, but similar.
I used to help a race team in Iowa. The race car was inside a trailer that had this type of tie down setup.
They held the car inplace week after week inside the trailer.

Maybe consider longer tracks for the tie downs to clip into, for extra strength to hold your car on your utility trailer.

I'll be looking for the same setup soon. Wink

EDIT: With the car wheel strapped down. Even without the chock. The car will stay in place.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. Also, I had read that the car should not be in park and E-brake off? That sounds contrary to what I thought it should be....
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

I tow a bunch of different things, cars, construction equip, etc. Those straps are great for trucks and stuff with open wheel wells. But on a beetle or bus, the ratchet handle will end up in the fender, where you don't have room to move it.
Best bet for me has always been using these straps
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Autopart-Straps-Strengt...mp;sr=8-27
Two on the front beam, and one around each axle tube, and then use standard dot rated ratchet straps.
I always set the hand brake.

Last edited by esde on Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Thanks for your input. Also, I had read that the car should not be in park and E-brake off? That sounds contrary to what I thought it should be....

Maybe load the car and leave it in neutral. But I'd set the parking brake.

As an after thought, You can use the same type tie down setup. But, instead wrap the straps around the rear axle tubes and the front lower torsion bars to hold the car in place.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I tow a bunch of different things, cars, construction equip, etc. Those straps are great for trucks and stuff with open wheel wells. But on a beetle or bus, the ratchet handle will end up in the fender, where you don't have room to move it.
Best bet for me has always been using these straps
https://www.amazon.com/Big-Autopart-Straps-Strengt...mp;sr=8-27
Two on the front beam, and one around each axle tube, and then use standard dot rated ratchet straps.

Your Amazon link is broker esde.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

esde wrote:

With this method, are you supposed to crisscross the straps to either side of the trailer? Or not?
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

Quote:
With this method, are you supposed to crisscross the straps to either side of the trailer? Or not?

I do Esde Method and have learned to Cris Cross both front and rear strap sets. Ive found this stops the car from shifting to the side of the trailer whilst going down the road. Wet wood planks or bouncy conditions make the suspension bounce and tires hop and the will car shift a lot if not criss crossed. the rear especially since its farthest from the hitch/ pivot point. Junkers that tires lose air on the trip also cause sliding over headaches.

So, Criss Cross Apple Sauce every time.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

I do criss cross the straps, and usually run a safety chain. Hauling heavy equipment you cannot be too careful, and I let that thinking carry over.
Most importantly, always tighten your straps after a few miles. They ALWAYS will stretch and loosen, especially new ones. And tie your loose ends, so they don't get caught in the wheels.
I saw a guy come into a show last summer, with one strap front and one strap rear, on a beautiful oval. No safety margin, crazy.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

I have a 16 foot utility trailer that I have used a few times, when the tow bar does not work out. But when I do utilize the BIG trailer, I run a chain with 2 hooks. 1st hook anchors to the front corner of the trailer. I then run the chain in through the front of the beam. Over the tunnel, under the gas tank and back out the axle beam, between the tubes. Run it over to a come a long at the other front corner and attach it. Now go to the back.

Another chain with hooks! From the back corner the chain gets attached. Then I run it over to the between the transmission and the frame horns, under the trans to the other side and back over the other frame horn. Then to the opposite corner with another come a long. Tighten that up so there is slight tension at both. Done!

Agree with the above advice. Pull over a few miles down the road and tension those chains or stripes one more time. They always settle into place and lose their initial set!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

Looks chincy. little screws pictured. made for ATVs and lawn mowers I certainly would not depend on them alone. strap the Bug down from front beam and rear torsion tubes to a solid part of the trailer I suggest.
Small galvanized bolts, no mention of the strength, are the bolts even graded? ( made in china!) if you push your bug onto the trailer it will not be fun to push all four tires over the chocks which are bolted in place. maybe ok if you drive the bug onto the trailer, but pushing it may be a problem.

I say not, but if you do use them, use quality graded bolts and nuts and be prepared to drive the Bug on and off the trailer, AND strap the front and rear torsion tubes down too.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever use these trailer wheel chocks for towing a bug? Reply with quote

All good points and suggestions. Thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: