Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robxlii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Hello! I am a complete beginner when it comes to the world of aircooled Volkswagens. I've wanted a Beetle since I was a kid and now, 40+ years later, it seems like it might be the right time.

I have some friends on the West Coast who have a beloved 1977/1979 Super Beetle convertible, and they're ready to let it go to a new home. I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy it from them but I wanted to check with some shade-tree experts first.

The car is a 1979 body on a 1977 frame and engine. The body was replaced in the 2010s by a shop in WA after the pans had completely rusted out. Currently there doesn't appear to be a lot of rust on the body -- a large spot near the bottom corner of the windshield, one at the bottom front of the driver's door, and some other spots in common places. I've attached a few photos.

The engine was rebuilt about 6 years ago and the current owners report no problems. I've got ten years of service records and it appears to me that they have loved this car very much and taken good care of it, though it's not nearly in show condition.

He hasn't quoted me a price and I haven't asked. I suppose that's the next step, but I'm wondering what the folks here might think. Happy to provide further information, to the extent that I have it. Thank you in advance!

-Rob Liguori

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Rust is $$$$ to fix, but if you only plan on driving it and not restoring it, for the right price it could be fun.

Rust never sleeps and what you can see might be the tip of the iceberg.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robxlii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Oh, this would be purely for fun, something to drive around my beach town in the summertime. (My home is far enough away from the shore - 10 miles or so - that I don't think I need to worry about salt air, but tell me if I'm wrong.)

I know rust can be a killer, and I know it can be a pain to fix. But if I'm not trying to restore this car, is it something that I can just pay careful attention to and manage on my own?

Thanks so much for your reply.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

robxlii wrote:
tell me if I'm wrong.)

I live 100 yards from an inlet, 1/2 mile from the Great South Bay.

My VW is garaged and was restored 23 years ago... no rust.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Some of those rust bubbles on the vert, are worse than you might think.
Rust, really cannot be managed per se. It will have to be addressed eventually.

The pans appear to have been replaced. VW (dealers?) undercoated their pans very well. When the cars were new.

The damaged paint on the pass door under the mirror, was caused by careless mirror adjustment wrench work, the dented aluminum trim damage was caused at the same time as the door paint.

For an east coast car. I have heard that, this is minimal rust damage.
Us left coasters, turn the other way when we see that kind of bubbling under the paint.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Just know that unseen rust is about 20 times the amount of bubbling seen rust. Hopefully it's still structurally sound to have fun with for a few years. I would need to see the car in person based on those pictures I would poke a screwdriver everywhere inside and out to be sure no crunch areas. Just know that the rust *could* be very very bad. Don't spend more than about $7.5k.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Howdy ... and welcome !

Agree with others above about rust, a 3x1.75" spot could need a 7x4" patch to get to sound metal - as long as it is confined to a single panel. There are tons of pieces spot welded together to make a section.
You mostly showed topside stuff. I'd like to see the wheel well areas as well.
I personally don't care that my bug is a 100 footer craigslist rescue. I've corrected the systems to make it safe(ish) & driveable. I am happy to drive my POS.

The only VIN that matters is the one stamped on the top of the chassis under the rear seat when it comes to a title. You mentioned the body was bolted to a refurbished chassis. This may not matter in CT.

Does it still retain the Fuel Injection ?
If sorted out, that is a very reliable system but very few auto shops know how to diagnose &/or fix it these days.

Please don't drive it on salted roads.

This sounds like a well loved bug & could serve you well, just want you to be happy with your choice.

Best luck ... stay safe

jinx

PS -
Click on my profile link & you can view pics of my POS. This will work on any profile.

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Well mantained car schould not have rust like this in warm climate. By the looks of bubbling, specially door, you might be in need of expensive repairs soon.
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg50 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

If you're not doing a restoration, and the price is right, I would say rust be damned and drive it as is for a few years, keeping it dry. All depends on the price. As an older geezer that's my thought.
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

If the price is right, you can live with the looks and have a dry place to store it then it would be a no-brainer. The verts are fun but a top replacement is a budget killer, FYI. Good luck!
robxlii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

First, thanks everyone! Super helpful tips. I guess rust is really, really a concern! Fortunately I’m well into middle age and finally have a “toys” budget (and a very understanding wife), so if I have to spend a few thousand to deal with rust, I don’t mind. I feel good about this particular Beetle otherwise because the owners are good and trustworthy people. Yes, the fuel injection still works! The top is in good shape too, but the headliner is falling apart.

The car is titled as a 1977. In CT I don’t believe a title is required for cars of this age.

If I could get it for $7500, and threw another $2500 or so into it to fix or replace rusty body panels, would that make good sense? Or am I better off looking for a better-preserved example, and closer to CT? (Shipping the car cross country will cost about $1600.)

Thanks all. Very happy to have found this forum!
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Rob - what are trying to buy? What do you want?

Do you want to drive? And do you want a driver quality Beetle? Assuming this car has no dangerous structural rust, you can keep it dry and saturate the rust spots with Fluid Film (the delaying game). Have fun and drive it.

Or do you want a big project that goes on for years with no driving? Once you start pulling the car apart and cutting out that rust, you’re most likely to have a big long term project.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

robxlii wrote:

If I could get it for $7500, and threw another $2500 or so into it to fix or replace rusty body panels, would that make good sense? Or am I better off looking for a better-preserved example, and closer to CT? (Shipping the car cross country will cost about $1600.)

I would need to see more pictures for that price.

You can usually get a nice car for 10k.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
robxlii wrote:
tell me if I'm wrong.)

I live 100 yards from an inlet, 1/2 mile from the Great South Bay.

My VW is garaged and was restored 23 years ago... no rust.

It's the breeze from the ocean that gets everything next to the water. It carries the salt onto the houses and cars close by.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Its hard to see, is it on a convertible pan?
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Run away!

Pan & body discrepancies for needing pan halves is a big red flag.

Rust blistering & rot at the bottom of the doors puts that turd in the $3,000-$4,000 range at best.

Find a better car, from a better region. You’d be much better off spending the $10,000 up front for a solid car.

Are you doing the rust repair or farming it out? If you’re paying someone to do it, find out what their hourly is, & do the math from there. $2,500 ain’t gonna go far. Hell, that won’t put new paint on what you got now.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Go visit your friends and take a long look at that car before buying it. Pay complete attention to the rust areas. Try to pull up the carpet and see. Look behind the wheels. You posted lots of pictures of the pan, but the pan is not the real problem area on these cars. It's the heater channels and shock towers and behind the back seat that matters.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
robxlii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Ugh, I appreciate the rusty advice from everyone. I'm going to get more pictures of the sills and other hidden areas. It's kind of a shame because when it comes to something like this I'd rather buy from friends I can trust. And I'm really not a stickler for condition -- I'm just worried that the rust that's already here is going to become a serious problem in a few years, even if I only drive in the summer sun.

Maybe I'll have a look around the classifieds here...thanks again everybody.

-Rob
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

Find another Bug. That rust is in a bad spot for a convertible. You have about $4000 in metal work to do. Then another $2500 in body work and primer. Then another $2000 for paint. Then you will need to reassemble the car….$6000 more, because you know you will need to replace most of the rubber parts.

If you are only going to drive it, find a better candidate. There are a few, if you have patience.

Here you go! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2574251

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Absolute newbie looking for advice on buying a Super Beetle. Reply with quote

The subject car is a Super Beetle (a breed of cat with which I have zero experience). But---considering the rust issue that this car has, is it likely to have serious problems with the front struts?
Perhaps an earlier car would be simpler for a "newbie".
Here is an example----if it is as dry as the seller says it is---that could fill the bill
for 10 grand delivered.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2598593
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: