Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lgyurka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Hello guys with electrical knowledge,

Recently I purchased a set of LED headlights for my 1967 Ghia(18 W on low beam/ 24 W on high beam) from Octane Lighting. Supposedly plug and play, but it required a slight modification for it to fit in the headlight bucket, but this DID NOT include mixing up the wiring in any way. Yet, when I turned the headlights on, they flashed for a fraction of a second, then turned dimmer than a firefly on low beam and the high beam was not working at all, both sides are affected for both problems. The vendor was telling me to try to install resistors. Can anyone of you offer an educated idea? How did you install LED headlights successfully? I am sure there must a good number of them out there... Thanks for any insight.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

A 67 Ghia should be running 12 volt electrics. Did your supplier think because it’s an old VW (which are all the same) and send you 6 volt lights? The suggestion of a resistor only makes sense if you have 6 volt load running in a 12 volt system. If so then send them back for a refund.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
lgyurka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I know I should have include in the basic info that this was a 12 V system, with 12 V LED lights. If no other ideas come forward, I might just have to return them, but that is not my objective...
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

This may or may not help, but very often many eletrical problems in these vintage Volkswagens are due to weak corroded Ground connections.

With even the youngest Karmann Ghias now being some 46 years old, it's not surprising that many (or even all) of the electrical connections have developed oxidation and/or corrosion.
It's even possible that some of the connections may no longer have proper mechanical contact due to loose fasteners or female spade connectors that need to be tightened up a bit.

Also, don't forget to check and clean the connections on those quirky little odd-ball fuses, as they often have corrosion that causes problems that can be difficult to trace down.

If you do a Forum Search, you should find many tips on how to clean up electrical connections.

The Good News is that you may now have plenty of time to spend painstakingly going through and cleaning up your Ghia's electrical system.
Even if it doesn't solve your "current" problem, it would be time well spent and may very well prevent you from struggling with other electrical gremlins in the future.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I bought a set from carid.com., there was no resistor needed for the headlights to work. The running light halos were so bright, I added a resistor to dim them down. The headlights are very bright, and with high beams, even brighter. I would wire them directly to the battery as a test before sending them back. I will say you get what you pay for with these. Mine were close to $300. Here is a picture before I put resistors on the running lights (the headlights are not on, this was just the halos)...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lgyurka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

The one set I ordered was only a $100. Actually I solved this mysterious problem this morning. I wired the LEDs directly to the battery and they worked fine. The previous owner wired the headlight harness with reversed polarity. Which was not a problem for the old sealed beam headlight, but the LEDs did not work. Now all is well. Thanks for your input.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted out.
Salmanilla1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

Dod you need to modify the Headlight Bucket to accommodate the LEDs?
19VDuB68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: LED headlights on 1967 Karmann Ghia Reply with quote

I was wondering the same. Having issues getting mine to fit. Hopefully with boosting this someone will respond.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: