Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help needed -> Riechert 36hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I recently bought an 57 oval. For the oval I have a 30/36hp engine that I want to change to something with an oldspeed vibe. I've bought a used Riechert kit, Fram filter, 90mm 12V 38amp dynamo and Bosch 010 (with electronic ignition).

The Riechert kit didn't came with a manual so I hope that you can help me with all the (stupid) questions that I will have during 'the build' Very Happy

The base:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My first question is regarding these bolts. They are to short. How do I remove them?

Second question: The manifold doesn't seem to fit on the cilinderhead.

This is allready with this gasket removed:

Do I also need to remove this gasket? Or is this not a gasket?

And what gasket do I need to use with the Riechert manifolts?

Thanks for all the help in advance Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

You have to many gaskets ...Your suppose to have only 1 gasket per side/ hole ..that's why on the manifold sits high and you can see not much threads for the mounting nut you only need 1 gasket it will sit lower .....
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
You have to many gaskets ...Your suppose to have only 1 gasket per side/ hole ..that's why on the manifold sits high and you can see not much threads for the mounting nut you only need 1 gasket it will sit lower .....

With the photo of the gap between manifold and cilinder head, there is only one gasket. This one:

It seems to be stuk, that’s why I doubt if it is a gasket Smile
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

VWGlassee wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

With the photo of the gap between manifold and cilinder head, there is only one gasket. This one:

It seems to be stuk, that’s why I doubt if it is a gasket Smile

If I were you buy new gaskets so that you know that it seals right never use old gaskets ...36hp and early 40hp heads uses a 32mm gaskets..the later 40hp heads used 34mm gaskets and single port 1500cc/1600cc used a 38mm gaskets ...are you sure these manifolds are for 36hp/early 40hp heads ..and not for the later 40hp heads ...check by taking out the gaskets and matching them on the intake manifold to see ....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

Heres an old post ..on the second post click imagine and it will show you the different size gaskets ...👇👇

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438090
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

And also your question about the manifold doesn't sit 100% flush ...that's how it is when you bolt down the manifolds the copper gasket and manifold seal up ....there's nothing wrong ...just take out that used old gasket buy some new ones and try finding the copper gaskets they seal better than those steel ones ....
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
And also your question about the manifold doesn't sit 100% flush ...that's how it is when you bolt down the manifolds the copper gasket and manifold seal up ....there's nothing wrong ...just take out that used old gasket buy some new ones and try finding the copper gaskets they seal better than those steel ones ....

Thanks Jerry! I will contact BBT so they can send me the correct gaskets. I was going to replace them anyway. For now I want to make everything fit, then paint all the tinware, give the engine a service (and replace all gaskets, spark plugs, ...).
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

Yeah for now just use the old gasket for setup/ mock up and when your done and ready than install the new intake gasket last thing you want is when those crush gaskets crush sometimes they do not seal right ...if your taking off the manifold off and on..here another link in the description yes it's I know it's a 34mm steel / late 40hp crush gasket but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about .....👇👇👇
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Intake-Manifold-Gasket-1200cc-40hp-N138231-p/n138231.htm
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

The Riechert Kit comes with longer manifold studs - to remove old studs , run 2 nuts down the existing stud , lock the nuts together, then using the 2 nuts as a single point undo the nut- the stud should start to come out.

This link may also help- It has some info. from the instruction sheet - very basic & only in German.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622822

If you need a pdf of that sheet - contact me & I can send a copy.

The linkage takes a bit of setting up, but the sheet shows a good starting point, and it is very temperamental to the spring setting and angle of the arms.
I have had the kit approx. 2/3 years and the first year was spent making adjustments to springs and angles, I also switched to a cruiser pedal with the roller as my late 58 with a floor mount accelerator pedal was flexing the floor pan !

Tim
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Yeah for now just use the old gasket for setup/ mock up and when your done and ready than install the new intake gasket last thing you want is when those crush gaskets crush sometimes they do not seal right ...if your taking off the manifold off and on..here another link in the description yes it's I know it's a 34mm steel / late 40hp crush gasket but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about .....👇👇👇
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Intake-Manifold-Gasket-1200cc-40hp-N138231-p/n138231.htm

Thanks, again great info Cool
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

Tall Bloke wrote:
The Riechert Kit comes with longer manifold studs - to remove old studs , run 2 nuts down the existing stud , lock the nuts together, then using the 2 nuts as a single point undo the nut- the stud should start to come out.

This link may also help- It has some info. from the instruction sheet - very basic & only in German.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=622822

If you need a pdf of that sheet - contact me & I can send a copy.

The linkage takes a bit of setting up, but the sheet shows a good starting point, and it is very temperamental to the spring setting and angle of the arms.
I have had the kit approx. 2/3 years and the first year was spent making adjustments to springs and angles, I also switched to a cruiser pedal with the roller as my late 58 with a floor mount accelerator pedal was flexing the floor pan !

Tim

Great tip for removing the manifold studs. Since the kit is a used kit I will go to the hardware store to buy longer ones.

A pdf of the instruction sheet would be great Wink Wink

Thanks!
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

Long story short:

Yannick
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

It looks beautiful..keep up the great work ....
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

Looks nice. How does it drive compared to stock?
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
It looks beautiful..keep up the great work ....

Thanks!
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed -> Riechert 36hp Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
Looks nice. How does it drive compared to stock?

When I've bought the car it had a +150hp power plant.
I never driven thie 36hp engine, in its original form, I used for this project so I can't answer your question Smile
All I can tell is that the engine drives smooth. It isn't a race monster but it gets me from A to B with a smile on my face Very Happy

Yannick

Here is the full project:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=781463
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: