Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is it worth it… oval on IRS
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh Brague
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

Hello,
I have secured a bug for sale but as I am learning more about it am struggling with going through.
It is a 57 oval on a IRS pan. Body is all original and restoration is pretty decent. Some weird things like chrome delete and handles shaved…. Nothing major. Appears to be rust free.
The price is 13k with a 1776 and a freeway flyer trans.

The body is an original 57 rag.
Goal is to make a cal looker. Am I over paying for this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

scat crank
engle fk-10 / engle lifters
scat I beam rods
aa pistons & cylinders
CB 044 Mag plus 42x37.5 (hand port)
Scat 1.4
CB650 springs
CB black box
4.12 Super street
poor mans posi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

If it runs, drives, and stops, and you're going to build a modified non stock car thats not a terrible starting point. But, several other things:
Does it have the title for the body, the pan, or both?
Does it have early seats and seat tracks, or late high back seats?
4 lug or 5x205?
It will make for a better driver, but will limit your eventual sale price. If that was 13k for a driving oval rag on the original pan, it would be sold in hours. But that said, better to modify an already modified car.
Josh Brague
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

They claim it had clean title but still getting information on that.
It has 4 lug wheels and high back seats which is a bummer to me. I don’t mind switching to Chevy bolt pattern and throwing some fuchs on. But how would interior be to switch to the older seats?
scat crank
engle fk-10 / engle lifters
scat I beam rods
aa pistons & cylinders
CB 044 Mag plus 42x37.5 (hand port)
Scat 1.4
CB650 springs
CB black box
4.12 Super street
poor mans posi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

Pass it up…go find something more to your lighting

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

Josh Brague wrote:
They claim it had clean title but still getting information on that.
It has 4 lug wheels and high back seats which is a bummer to me. I don’t mind switching to Chevy bolt pattern and throwing some fuchs on. But how would interior be to switch to the older seats?

Changing bolt patterns is the cost of new drums and wheels. Changing seats is the cost of new tracks (Wolfsburg West) and the seats. And if you don't weld, someone has to do it for you.
Still not bad for the price if the body isn't hiding lots of rust
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

Post some more photos. The one posted is with the car just hosed down and the water will hide a lot.

IRS is always a nice car to DRIVE when you dial everything in.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

The problem is it might come with a clean title, but it needs to come with two clear titles. One for the body and one for the pan. Then your state will need to title it on one of the VINS. If the numbers match on both don’t walk away, run!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

I would say it all depends on what YOU want. A cal-looker isn't stock, so if you have visions of going back to stock or getting money back selling it to a stock lover, leave it alone. If the color is one you like and the bodywork is acceptable, then that's a plus. If the motor is the size and fitted with the right parts, another plus. If it's going to cost another 13000.00 to make it what you want, maybe that's a minus. If the title is the same as the pan, that's what you have legally. If the title is for the body, you may find it harder to resell later. If you are looking for a driver with that old school look, might be worth it. If you like to sit around the car shows listening to the purists pick it apart? Perfect.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
The problem is it might come with a clean title, but it needs to come with two clear titles. One for the body and one for the pan. Then your state will need to title it on one of the VINS. If the numbers match on both don’t walk away, run!

You guys in "title" states are funny!

We don't need no stinkin' titles, not here, not the next state over, not the next state after that. Very Happy

I'd be more interested in the sunroof. Is it a graft?

I think everything is overpriced right now.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

Here’s the ad for it…
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2589639

Unless the water drops are on the window, it looks like the sunroof is leaking badly judging by the pic of the dash.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay 13k for it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
I wouldn't pay 13k for it.

Thats a 6-7k car maybe on a good day...
The dash ruined it for me..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023

Last edited by 56Cabrio on Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:

The dash ruined it for me..

Same for me.

6k might be good and then you can graft the correct dash back.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

Also note that it’s only shiny where it’s wet.

And those wheels don’t do anything positive for it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

It’s close to being a Frankenstein, 3K at its best.or walk.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it… oval on IRS Reply with quote

I would not spend more than 8000. The rag clip is worth 5500, on its own, IF you can find one. The front fenders fetch a nice price. The decklid fetches a good price, and the rear apron! You can get your money back if you need to.

The dash is a minus. That’s going to cost a few thousand to repair, again, if you can find a dash. I have one I would let go of for a few thousand, hanging on my garage wall. The seats are wrong for the body, but right for the pan. The doors have been cut for the cal look non vented window. And on and on.

As a stock Bug lover, I would pay no more than what the rag clip is worth, 5500. But if you want a Cal Look Oval window, seems like it can be yours!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: