Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal indicator light
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtrebilcock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Turn signal indicator light Reply with quote

I have a 68 dune buggy with a 68ish speedometer
there is a +pos to the case of the turn signal light in the speedometer and a +pos from the flasher relay to the center pin of the light, this does not work, was wired wrong.
How do I get a -neg from the flasher relay??
CapeBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicator light Reply with quote

It's interesting you posted this, I literally just swapped out my old VW relay with a modern 4 post one. And, I am contemplating how to resolve the same issue. What I think I will do is put a small bosch generic relay in and have the power form the new KB contact from the new blinker power the relay and have the relay switch the ground on and off for the indicator bulb. I was about to do it tonight and it got cold. Will work on it in the next couple of days and report back. But, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicator light Reply with quote

There's several ways to resolve the reverse polarity issue with turnsignal indicator in stock VW speedom.
Easiest way is to use a socket like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Search'd & found this:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/V600819.html

That socket is pricey, there's only 1 left in stock, and I'm not sure if it works! My solution was thanks to having on hand an old bus speedometer which has the opposite polarity for turnsignal indicator. So I was able to swap the usual 3-socket bulb holder for one like shown at left side of this pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtrebilcock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicator light Reply with quote

I found an adaptor on Pelican Parts for $13, it's a Porsche adaptor but I will let you know if it works.
Part #: 999-632-009-10-OEM
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicator light Reply with quote

jtrebilcock wrote:
I have a 68 dune buggy with a 68ish speedometer
there is a +pos to the case of the turn signal light in the speedometer and a +pos from the flasher relay to the center pin of the light, this does not work, was wired wrong.
How do I get a -neg from the flasher relay??

Don't use the dash light output on the flasher relay. Those types of flashers come in 2 flavors, hot to indicate and ground to indicate. It sounds like you have the wrong one, but there is an easy workaround when you have a powered dash turn signal indicator (like a stock Bug speedometer).

Hook the turn signal indicator wire to the output side of the flasher -- the same terminal that also goes to the turn signal switch. Now the dash light should flash with your turn signals and be off when they are off. The only catch with this is that your dash indicator will be flashing opposite the turn signals. (on when the outside signal lights are off, off when the outside signal lights are on)
CapeBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal indicator light Reply with quote

Was able to work on the buggy today and hooked up the simple 4 post relay. Power from the new flasher relay powers the indicator relay. So now, my aux. relay is switching a ground circuit to the indicator bulb. Works perfectly and cost nothing!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: