Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many bays are still here?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

77 Westy - Hibernates in the winter to save it from salt. Canoe is sold and replaced with 2 Kayaks. Recently rebuilt the 2.0L engine and 091 Tranny.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
This is my 77, and the garage shot is Colin. myself and the Bob D plus my bus in the garage one time he was passing thru.

Ohh..this is heart breaking. I don't think you have ever posted a photo of yourself Steve. I feel as if I just witnessed the unmasking of Batman. Laughing
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

OK, I'll play.

My '72 when I had the nose job.

My '78

My '69 SC

I still have all three. Very Happy
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

Quote:
Ohh..this is heart breaking. I don't think you have ever posted a photo of yourself Steve. I feel as if I just witnessed the unmasking of Batman. Laughing

I call your 'SGKent' and raise you one 'Xevin' photo - including Xatie (but not without permission). Might as well unmask Robin and Cat Woman too. its in my gallery anyway.....

here's our two buses being visited by Naranga and Buddy from a while ago.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

I don't have any pictures of Xevin that I can post publicly…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I don't have any pictures of Xevin that I can post publicly…
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

how about the un-public ones.................. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

There are a lot of beautiful buses here. That '69 single cab that Babysnakes is restoring is wonderful. But so many more buses here are just drop dead gorgeous. It is also encouraging to see so many that are being well maintained.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

I love The Samba. Especially the bay forum for shenanigans, support, and comrade. I’m a lucky dude to have met so many of you over the years.

72 Campmobile
76 deluxe Westfalia. Once belonged to RONIN10.

First camp of the year. 2023 Super Bowl weekend.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
KentABQ wrote:
It's good to see so many nice looking bays still going strong. Dancing
Here's my 1976 Riviera which is now my daily driver since retiring last month...

She took us from San Diego to Orlando in 2019 for a trip of a lifetime.

bet that was so much fun. I-8 (called US 8 when I was a kid living in San Diego) to I-10 back to FL or did you take old highways?

Thanks Steve.
Yes, it was a blast! Three weeks of driving, camping and sightseeing.

We started on I-10, but headed up to Grand Canyon for a couple days.
Then took I-40 to Albuquerque for a two more days, then I-25 to Santa Fe.
In our road atlas, we found a way to go thru Oklahoma rather than thru Texas (bad feelings about that state. And avoid it whenever possible.)
Visited family near Oklahoma City for one day before heading toward New Orleans.
But we stopped in Arkansas at the greatest camping spot I've ever seen.
We had a huge camp complex almost to ourselves, which was right next to a river.
The only other camper in the complex left the next morning, and asked us if we wanted his beer and cooler he didn't want. Who are we to say no? Laughing
Next stop was New Orleans where we met up with old Navy buddies of Jimmy's for 3 days of .... all the stuff they did while they were in the Navy.
Then we were back on I-10 toward Florida (another state to avoid in the future. lol)

The purpose of the cross country jaunt was to find a place we'd like to move to, which is what drew us to Albuquerque. (We were living in Orlando at the time, which sucked.)

Interesting fact: The population of the entire state of New Mexico is less than one-quarter the population of just the county of Los Angeles.
2.1 million in NM vs 9.8 million in LA.

However, Jimmy grew up near several So. Cal beaches and misses being in and near the water whenever he wants. Sooooooo this July, we're making another trip. This time it will be up to the Olympic Penninsula of Washington state. I lived in Seattle for most of the 1990's and loved the beauty and lushness found everywhere in western Washington.
So we will see where we end up this time.

Oh, we have less time this trip, so we're taking the Subaru. Sorry Chloe!
And sorry Steve for side lining your thread.
Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

not side-lining. I wanted to know what buses were here. So far a plethora of wonderful ones. The number in excellent condition is amazing, and so many are used for camping. It is really nice to see them being used. As for Texas - the only issues we ever had there are the days it takes to cross it in a VW bus on I-10. We try to stop in Chuy's Mexican Restaurant in Van Horn TX when we are on I-10. Of course with programs like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, there are many more places people might like to try. My parents lived in Fort Walton Beach for many years, took the 1971 there several times in the 70's from the LA basin. Usually stopped in Bunkie LA to see my ex's grandparents, and Fayetteville AR to see my uncle. A couple times Lexington KY to see uncles, aunts and cousins. Usually would drive straight thru, my ex would sleep while I drove and then every few hours we would switch. Sometimes we would stop at a KOA and everyone would get showers and a fresh change of clothes. We were fortunate to have done that in a time with a slower pace. There should be a national VW Bus month where VW buses are encouraged to go camping and on trips.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
There should be a national VW Bus month where VW buses are encouraged to go camping and on trips.

I'll vote for that! It would be good to drive around and see Buses on the road again. It could be promoted by the VW aftermarket, perhaps? I've not been camping since before Covid arrived and want to. I've been intent on going camping this Spring.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
SGKent wrote:
There should be a national VW Bus month where VW buses are encouraged to go camping and on trips.

I'll vote for that! It would be good to drive around and see Buses on the road again. It could be promoted by the VW aftermarket, perhaps? I've not been camping since before Covid arrived and want to. I've been intent on going camping this Spring.

It is always nice to see someone on the road or camping in their bus. Keep the posts going. Smile
Russell1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

Hi all from the UK. These are my 2.

1970 Dormobile, although the interior is non-original, just with a rock n roll bed, table and propex heater.

1968 Single Cab. Imported from South Africa. I play in a wind band so regularly gets used to haul the percussion equipment about (even though I play the trumpet!)

Russell
JeffnDes1977
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

1977 bought in 2007
Drove it to work yesterday!

19?? Sandrail project - soon to be for sale!
1960 Beetle - My first car!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

Still here. Third owner since 1990 of Grandma Mildred's Bus. Metal replaced and rust free and was on fire to get it in paint, but chose to get it mechanically sound first. Second year in a row of having back on the road so early after winter storage.

cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

1979 Campmobile - newly rebuilt engine.

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

1968 Westy - trying to get her back on the road for this summer... This was a few years ago...

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

My 1971 and 1970 Westys

RED ( Gary Bus )

WHITE ( Crusty Bus )

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aquarius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

I can add one very stock '71 Deluxe to the count - it also hibernates to stay out of the salt.
s
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

Don't post updates in my thread often, but still putting miles on our Bus. 17k and counting since the swap. Hands down the best VW I've built.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: How many bays are still here? Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
Don't post updates in my thread often, but still putting miles on our Bus. 17k and counting since the swap. Hands down the best VW I've built.

Best bus in the forum!!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: