Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wire identification on a 74 sunbug beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Chaos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Wire identification on a 74 sunbug beetle Reply with quote

I found these wires bundled under the seat on a 74 sunbug beetle that I'm trying to restore. I've went through several wiring diagrams and can't seem to find where they go. One wire is brown. One wire is Brown with a white stripe and one wire is yellow and orange. Any help would be appreciated..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire identification on a 74 sunbug beetle Reply with quote

what is the part you have your finger on? Looks like a voltage regulator. It would give a clue where the wires go. Wink

VW Wiring = It's just wires

Last edited by runamoc on Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wire identification on a 74 sunbug beetle Reply with quote

Those wire colors are part of the diagnostic system. Yellow with an orange tracer was for battery voltage, brown was ground and brown with a tracer was a switched by ground device. But that group of wires goes between the diagnostic plug and the associated devices.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wire identification on a 74 sunbug beetle Reply with quote

Capt Chaos wrote:
I found these wires bundled under the seat on a 74 sunbug beetle that I'm trying to restore. I've went through several wiring diagrams and can't seem to find where they go. One wire is brown. One wire is Brown with a white stripe and one wire is yellow and orange. Any help would be appreciated..

That's the wiring and connector for the external voltage regulator.

The 4 wire connection is shown as T8 on here. The two wire connector with the large red/white strip wiring is Ta, and are related to the onboard diagnostics.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: