Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walty87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

I have an 84 country homes camper that I’ve installed westy interior into, but I’m kinda stumped when it comes to installing the headbanger cabinet. Obviously I’ll mount one side to the westy closet… but no idea what to do for the other side? The rear speakers have been removed and My cheep curtain rod is in the way, but even I figure out the curtain rod I have no idea where to attach the cabinet on that side?

I didn’t have much luck searching…

Wondering what other people have done?

Thanks!
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

This is a cross section of all the tin at the rain gutter. Disregard the red and the 1/4" thick pieces--that is another discussion.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
The tin just above the horizontal piece which is part of the gutter is fairly thick. The curved part below that is pretty thin and has no real strength to it. Its purpose is only to get the head liner to fit smoothly.

I would bolt a strip of something to the curved upper part where it is flattish and fasten the head banger to it. Once you have an attachment point, it can be at any height you want. I suggest high so it won't interfere with the rear view out the back hatch window when driving, which is a pain for the conventional Westy styles.

WARNING!!! There are wires in there to lights and stuff, so be very careful when you drill. I would first go in with an 1/8" drill. Drill through a piece of dowel so when all chucked up no more than 3/16" of drill is showing. This will provide a stop so you don't ding any wires. Then go to 3/8" with the same technique and with a light and a piece of coat hanger to fish around see what you have for the wires. Since there isn't any real access, I would use toggles to fasten in the attachment strip. At least 4 if 1/8" machine bolts and 3 if 1/4"

Duncan
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

If you don't need/have AC I would not install the headbanger at all personally. We took ours out and enjoy the more open feel. Just my opinion. But if you have ever tried to um...do stuff other than sleep in a full westy you will wish you had that extra space.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
. But if you have ever tried to um...do stuff other than sleep in a full westy you will wish you had that extra space.

LOL, other stuff like, "get out of bed to take a leak in the early morning"? "Sit up to see what the weather is like outside"? "Sit up for any reason at all"?

I try to keep my Westy as original as possible but that head banger/AC cabinent is always in consideration for the chopping block.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Honuak wrote:
. But if you have ever tried to um...do stuff other than sleep in a full westy you will wish you had that extra space.

LOL, other stuff like, "get out of bed to take a leak in the early morning"? "Sit up to see what the weather is like outside"? "Sit up for any reason at all"?

I try to keep my Westy as original as possible but that head banger/AC cabinent is always in consideration for the chopping block.
Sleep the other way round, all that becomes easy, no head-banging at all. Wink

Other athletics are another matter of course...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

I have a ASI Riviera with a non-headbanger rear cross shelf.
mine is out of the wire shelving (silver) stuff but you could use a board.
the point is that a non-westy has an arched roof line vs a lower flat roofline of a westy.
and we find this handy for carrying the linens and shower kit.

it doesn't come down any lower than the TOP of the rear window. so not as in your face as the headbanger..

sorry for the bad image.. but you can just make it out up top in there.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Sleep the other way round, all that becomes easy, no head-banging at all. Wink

Other athletics are another matter of course...

I'm too tall to sleep the other way around, my pillow always ends up on the floor. Laughing
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I have a ASI Riviera with a non-headbanger rear cross shelf.
mine is out of the wire shelving (silver) stuff but you could use a board.
the point is that a non-westy has an arched roof line vs a lower flat roofline of a westy.
and we find this handy for carrying the linens and shower kit.

it doesn't come down any lower than the TOP of the rear window. so not as in your face as the headbanger..

sorry for the bad image.. but you can just make it out up top in there.

It looks more like your Dog 'owns' the Vanagon in this picture and is nice enough to let you drive it... Wink Wink Great shot from 2013
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

indeed.. and 10 years later he still owns the vehicles.

I am fortunate enough to be his chauffer for the time we have together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: How to install headbanger cabinet in a non-Westy van? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I have a ASI Riviera with a non-headbanger rear cross shelf..

I believe we had that exact ASI model! Even the same exterior paint!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: