Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front bump stop 1970
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhag3112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Front bump stop 1970 Reply with quote

Is there a bump stop for the front beam on a 1970 KG?
I have dropped spindles with 15*5 sprinstar 4 lug 165 60 tyres.
On full lock it’s almost possible to rub a fender even though I have over 2cm clearance stationary. Is it possible to modify the bump stop to limit extreme ROM on full lock? Or should I just go back to 155 60s?
Many thanks
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front bump stop 1970 Reply with quote

those adjustments are bolts. screw them in for more turning, out for less
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mhag3112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front bump stop 1970 Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, I don’t think I explained quite right. It’s not the steering lock I want to limit.
I want to know if I can limit the maximum suspension travel, & if that’s ok. I understand older beams have a bump stop but I’m not sure about 1970.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front bump stop 1970 Reply with quote

Correct. There are no stops for vertical travel like there is in the rear.
I believe that there is on a link pin beam but not ball joint.
The steering stops can be adjusted so you don’t rub the inside of the wheel against the control arm or the sway bar but that’s about it.
I went through several different sets of wheels to combat my rubbing issues with dropped spindles. I have landed on 15X5.5 with a 5” backspace.
Using 195/45/15 tires there is no rubbing on the fender but between stock spindles and dropped spindles I have lost some turning radius.
I guess there is always a trade off.
I’m thinking of picking up a used lowered beam to see if I can get the same stance and get my turning radius back. It’s fine on the street driving around but can be annoying in tight parking lots.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Front bump stop 1970 Reply with quote

Put on some coil over shocks in the front it fixed my lowered 70.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front bump stop 1970 Reply with quote

I tried those. Sort of worked but made the ride too stiff for me.
Lots of dancing over man hole covers and on rough roads.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front bump stop 1970 Reply with quote

There are bump stops on a VW with a ball joint beam, that is the additional part that is sold with original design style shocks. Some aftermarket shocks eliminate this extra part.

If you want to limit the suspension travel on a ball joint beam, you can install “hook & rod limiters”.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steering stops are different, this is adjusted by the two bolts on the vertical piece that is welded to the beam next to the steering box. Many narrowed, aftermarket beams do not have this.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: