Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gland nut differences
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Quick question,
I have two chromoly gland nuts, the left one is a 36mm with a rubber insert on top of the needle bearings which fits snug on the shaft and the right one is a 42 mm with the needle bearings closer to the top with no rubber gasket. What one is better to use on my flywheel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you
Tom
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

There is supposed to be a little seal in there also. The bearing needs to be pushed in father, and then the seal installed.

Brian
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn the gland nut on the right has the pilot bearing installed backwards. The "RS" at the end of the bearing part number should mean it has a rubber seal on one side.

The seal is important as it helps keep grease in the pilot bearing and crud out.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn the gland nut on the right has the pilot bearing installed backwards. The "RS" at the end of the bearing part number should mean it has a rubber seal on one side.

The seal is important as it helps keep grease in the pilot bearing and crud out.

Thats a damn good catch right there
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Unless you have a monster torque wrench, how will you tighten a 42mm gland nut.

I always use the Berg 36m forged nut. You can use the standard torque multiplier and i've never had one fail.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=634870

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I always use the Berg 36m forged nut. You can use the standard torque multiplier and i've never had one fail.

I made an adapter for the torque multiplier that steps from the 36 to 38mm gland nut. I suppose could do similar up to 42?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Ok, so I’m going to use the 36mm with the seal and the bearings farther down
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

I always just support the engine from rotating somehow, lock the flywheel and then stand on the breaker bar in a very specific location. 380 ft-lbs or so is easy to achieve accurately with a 2.5 foot breaker bar. Then I'm not so worried about the diameter of the nut, because I can just use whatever socket works.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

jimmyhoffa wrote:
I always just support the engine from rotating somehow, lock the flywheel and then stand on the breaker bar in a very specific location. 380 ft-lbs or so is easy to achieve accurately with a 2.5 foot breaker bar. Then I'm not so worried about the diameter of the nut, because I can just use whatever socket works.

Factory tool, 3/4" drive

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

made this for tightening larger gland bolts. Flanged axle nut welded to a 6-point socket Cool

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
made this for tightening larger gland bolts. Flanged axle nut welded to a 6-point socket Cool

How do you use one of the standard torque multipliers with that?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:

Thats frickin genious, i gotta build one of those. if its too tall for my torque multiplier, ill just cut it down
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Thats frickin genious, i gotta build one of those. if its too tall for my torque multiplier, ill just cut it down

If you can weld..... (Thanks Mr. Andersen)

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

For those that like to really tighten the gland nut, consider the scat gland nut
AS you can see here it has more threads than the CB offering. Scat on top, CB on bottom
More thread engagement spreads the load.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

esde wrote:
For those that like to really tighten the gland nut, consider the scat gland nut
AS you can see here it has more threads than the CB offering. Scat on top, CB on bottom
More thread engagement spreads the load.

From the Berg ad
"Manufactured longer so full thread is utilized when our HD thicker washer is used"

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Or if you have the ability to machine it.

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you use one of the standard torque multipliers with that?

Let me splain it to ya...(don't have a photo) the torque meister can remove both 36mm axle nuts and standard 36mm gland nuts, right? I welded an axle nut to a 6-point socket that fits a bigger gland nut and the torque meister is the standard tool I use to take the larger gland nuts loose and tighten. Just like it was an axle nut but using the flywheel instead of the bolt-on sector gear. Nothing too it. Matter fact, I got the idea for it searching the SAMBA' Gallery photos.

The one you had made doesn't look to be as strong as mine. It has a surface weld (not a very good looking welds at that) holding a 12-point socket on to softer metal. Those larger gland nuts need and can use a higher torque.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Ah... never used a torque meister, thanks for explaining it.

The one I have has been used to 450ft-lbs, it it's good enough

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

I've noticed for instance a scat gland nut the bearing is closer to the transmission by just under 1/8 inch compared to stock, which is ok, they have been that way a long time, never a complaint.

Then with some of the newer gland nuts like empi it's moved another 1/8 shallower again, so now a full 1/4 inch closer to the trans.

Is that good bad or indifferent? actually I don't really know, but since nobody has reported a problem it might be just fine, or, depends on your input shaft.
If that part of your input shaft is just rust then it's not so good.

Eventually we will need new input shafts anyway. nothing is forever.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gland nut differences Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

What does the size of the nut have to due with the size of the torque wrench?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: