Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Dealerships
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Mike. This was probably taken around the same time you were going there. Photo from Facebook "Vintage San Diego".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
This was my uncle's dealership:

Shameless plug: looking for memorabilia if anyone out there has anything! Very Happy remember visiting it many times when i was a lad, but nobody in the family has any reminders of it for some odd reason.

He got out of the VW biz and retired to Marco Island, Fla in the late '60s, IIRC.

I wonder if that has any link to Kuhn VW in Tampa, FL? Probably just a coincidence.
MaximumFinishes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading FARRIDERS post brings many memories to mind. Rea Reply with quote

Mr Mike wrote:
Reading FAR RIDER'S post brings many memories to mind.
I also bought a new Volkswagen, a beetle in the sixty’s.
And I certainly remember the dealer.
It was in June of 1966. For folks that weren’t alive or around in that era I feel it’s necessary to describe the atmosphere at American car dealerships in order to highlight the differences at Volkswagen at the time.

Purchasing an American car in the sixties was tantamount to a pitched battle with the salesman. There never seemed to be any base price to an American car and almost anything you wanted in it seemed to be an “extra” that would cost you more. The attitude of most salesmen in that period was condescending and crafty. The only person lower than a new car salesman was a used car salesman.

As a young navyman stationed in San Diego during that period I saw many sailors “ripped off” in deals involving both new and used cars.

The contrast with Volkswagen in that period was night and day with their fixed prices on their cars. The only variables were the
Monthly payments depending on how much you put down on the car, plus cost of financing. The total price of the vehicle would depend on what extras you wanted to add. But these had a fixed price also, so there was no lengthy negotiations with a salesman
With a “sharp” pencil.
I first learned of Truman Motors watching blaCK AND WHITE tv AD'S.
(I got my first color TV in 1967 just before “the thrilla in Manila.” By the way.)
They Featured a guy who always finished his pitch by saying
“ Truman Motors Volkswagen, come on down, you’ll like this place.”
And by golly I did! Truman Motors was located in El Cajon, it had a relaxed atmosphere with no pressure.

I recall seeing in the show room a really clean, nice, 1952 split window bug. It had been part of an estate sale. The owner of the dealership had purchased it and installed it on display in the
show room.

I purchased a new ’66 deluxe sunroof bug in Java green at Truman Motors, it was my first ever new car .

Looking at my original contract which I still have, I purchased the car with white wall tires, leatherette interior, 2 front seat belts, gravel guards, bumper stiffener front and rear, EMPI camber compensator, back up light, Chrome beauty rings, vent shades, rear package tray, ( the package tray came with a set of two rear speakers), sapphire IV AM/FM radio, door edge guards, rubber bumper guards front and rear, and finally, under seal.

The cash price for the car was $ 2256.00
I paid $200.00 dollars down. With financing through the Bank of America, the balance came to $2515. With payments to run a
Rompin’, stompin’ $ 75.00 dollars a month.

In those days Doing business with a Volkswagen dealer was pure pleasure. Their prices were extremely competitive and they went out of their way to ensure customer satisfaction.
New car warranty’s at the time were only six thousand miles, but
Regular service such as three thousand mile oil changes and adjust the valves were only fifteen dollars. Body work could be surprisingly cheap. I have a receipt for a crunched right fender
Incurred in a parking lot one day. Truman charged me $ 13.00 dollars to straighten and paint it.

The events I remember most with fondness were unexpected.
Moments that would surprise me.

I was, and still am a big fan of the blues, jazz and Motown.
I had most of the buttons on that AM/FM Sapphire IV set to FM
Stations that played blues and jazz “back in the day”.
On the AM side of the dial I used to follow a guy by the name of
“Wolf man Jack” He was the man! Don’t know how many who might read this are aware of him today. He’s been “gone” a while.
But for those who watch the old film AMERICAN GRAFITTI
He makes a guest appearance. He was the “bomb”.

On one occasion I went into Truman motors to get my ride serviced. It was a beautiful summer day in southern California. I was “bouncing” along with the sun roof open, and
watching the little orange foam, union seventy-six ball waving around on top of the antenna when I pulled in. The “tunes” were
playing nicely on the radio.
In those days it took a little over an hour to change oil and set the valves, so I wasn’t in there very long.

Later, getting back in my car , I pulled out of the lot and as I rolled up the street, I flipped on the radio. I expected it to be tuned to the station I’d been listening to earlier.
I was surprised to hear someone speaking Spanish. Realizing back at Truman Motors, someone had changed the station, I reached up to reset the tune button when all of a sudden this beautiful guitar music began. Pausing to listen, I heard some of the most beautiful Spanish guitar work I’d ever heard. Beautiful, emotional and moving.
Music I’d never heard before.
If music is a gift, I received one that day. For the year and a half that I remained on Navy duty in that area, I left the radio with one button tuned to that station. I never learned who changed the station that day but I’ve always wanted to thank him or her.

On the day in June that our car was delivered, it had seven miles on the odometer.
I remember stopping at a gas station to fill it. Two dollars did the job. It was a Friday. The next day my wife and I drove to Anaheim to visit Disneyland. In the parking lot, before we went in I asked her to stand up through the sunroof and let me photograph her and the new car.

I’m a pretty lucky guy. Next year my wife and I celebrate fifty years together and the little green bug is still in the garage.
And yeah, I still have that photo.
I still remember Truman Motors. Their gone now, which is to bad,
They had good coffee there too. Very Happy

Applause

Awesome story!

Your memory is surprisingly sharp. Wink
'98 Honda CR-V - Dee
'97 Subaru Impreza Outback - Dennis
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samba topic: Old VW dealerships, what are they now?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

Found (FB Vintage San Diego) some more photos/ads from Truman Motors of El Cajon, CA.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageVulture wrote:
I read "Small Wonder" two years ago- abslolutely marvelous way to study the history of my favorite classic make. So much to overcome, such a fresh market for the new Germany, quite an amazing company. One of my all-time favorite quotes is from Heinz Nordhoff... "Competition breeds excellence". Too true, and so forgotten in our current gov't. Oops, did I go there? Ah heck, just a slip of the tongue. Anyhow, read that book- My fav chapters cover VW'sadvertising campaigns and the early factory days/ boozing up the French to hide their stolen equipment!

I like the quote that Ferdinand Porsche said to Heinz Nordhoff in 1951 when he visited the factory just before he died. It was:

" Only since you proved it did I know I was right "
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

1954 Kettner Blvd.
San Diego, Ca. 92101

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

Competition Motors

# 303 and #156

Volksfolken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

My 1965 beetle came from Carl R. Carlsen on 19th Avenue in San Francisco. (1900 19th Avenue, at Ortega, to be precise.) My 65 had a first owner for a year or so, then was purchased by my mother in 1966.

I believe the dealership was Carlsen Brothers until 1965, when it became Carl R. Carlsen. Carl had dealerships in San Francisco, Marin and Palo Alto, but, according to his obituary, spent the years after 1985 'in real estate development'.

He died on September 13, 2005, survived by brother Stan.

Not sure what year this photo is from; it was uncredited on the internet; I´m pretty sure it is from an advertising postcard or flyer. It would be before 1965, presumably, when Carlsen Brothers became Carl R. Carlsen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the exact year either but the photo appears to be cropped as there are several larger images on the dealership page here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/carlsenbros_sanfrancisco_ca.php

One is from a postcard so that one may be too.

The Buses in the photo are 1959-1961 so that is my best guess.
Someone may be able to identify that white American car further?

Postcard:

Here's the Carl R. Carlsen page but no photos:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/carlrcarlsen_sanfrancisco_ca.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vntgvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

The white American car is a 1960 Pontiac. Either a Catalina or Bonneville.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

Other than parts, I had no contact at the local dealership. However, I worked with a woman who bought a new Rabbit in 1981 from the same dealership and she was given $5000 for a 1974 Karmann Ghia on a trade-in. I thought that was a great offer since she didn't pay close to that when she bought it a couple of years earlier and the new Rabbit was around $8000.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

Renfree Motors, Inc.
210 West Katella Avenue
Orange, California 92667
Tel. 633-5981

Everett, I didn't see a photo for this dealership when I did a quick search.

# 303 and #156

Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

These two dealerships are unknown to me so I couldn't search to see if they were posted. So if you know who they are, please post the names.

# 303 and #156

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

Top is Ted Trudon VW, Talcottville CT. They got shut down by the IRS in the late '70s Laughing Trudon also had a Porsche dealer next door. Now they're both Subaru, but the buildings remain the same just about.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

San Diego Magazine, July 1964. Advertisement for Wolff Motors Karmann Ghia and Truman Motors Porsche dealerships.

# 303 and #156

Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

Found these the other day in a box when looking for something else - came across them at the Salvation Army store in Pendleton when we lived there. My bus is a Sunset/Riviera Motors purchase, but figured the frames will be fine since we lived in Pendleton for 7 years.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

1969 ad.

# 303 and #156

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Great story Mike. This was probably taken around the same time you were going there. Photo from Facebook "Vintage San Diego".

Your buck stops there.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Dealerships Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Other than parts, I had no contact at the local dealership. However, I worked with a woman who bought a new Rabbit in 1981 from the same dealership and she was given $5000 for a 1974 Karmann Ghia on a trade-in. I thought that was a great offer since she didn't pay close to that when she bought it a couple of years earlier and the new Rabbit was around $8000.

That was a great deal, even with inflation at that period of about 2x
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: