Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

Good morning folks.

I am currently in the process of building a 1915 for my T1 bus. Putting the old 1600 single port in storage since Im doing a lot of hilly miles in Belgiums Ardennes I can sure use the extra torque.

I cant wrap my head around what cam I should use.
Since every shop in my facinity sells Engle cams and im very pleased with them Im sticking to Engle. Webb and others have to come in from England and I have to pay customs. Also Im sticking to the original exhaust for MOT purpose. MOT is strickt in Belgium. Everything has to be original looking Rolling Eyes

Engine specs:

Standard reground 69mm crank
94 AA pistons (set to weight)
10mm AE case with 200mm flywheel
standard heads with 1.1 rockers
Standard exhaust
Central 32ndix Zenith carb or a central 36DCNF
8.5:1 compression
Home built Hall ignition with vacuum advance

At first I was thinking of going with the original cam for economy
But lately I have been thinking of switching to a W100 or better a VZ15.

I know that original cam is gonne purrr like a kitten but the extra go from like a VZ15 is attractive.

Greetz
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

why the center mount carb?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
why the center mount carb?

Like I said it has to remain as close to stock as possible for Belgian MOT. I have sets of 36 40 and 44 IDF at home. Yet Im sticking to the original exhaust and and if I could id even go with a single 38mm pict. But I have the center mounted split setup so a 32 NDIX or 36 DCNF will work perfect.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

Save yourself disapointment and use dual carbs.
Swap engine for MOT.
If it is more than 50 years old, you are MOT exempt when registered as Oldtimers.
Where are you in the Ardennes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

With a single carb I would go with an Engle W90 with 1.25 rockers. I never liked a w100 (for anything) but especially a single. You want torque. Funny how everyone loves to trow out the dual carbs... it's a bus and doesn't need anything over 4500 rpm. I've driven a factory FI beetle with everything OG except 1915cc and the torque is amazing. SO much fun to drive in the hills. If you could bend on the cam at all, I would highly recommend an Eagle 2280, however a W90 with 1.25s gets you fairly close

Last edited by MuzzcoVW on Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

wait, you want to use a STOCK exhaust on a 1915cc with a mild cam in a BUS thats going to pull hills?

thats a recipe for hot heads.

stock intake and exhaust were points of restriction even on a 1600 engine.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

sled wrote:
wait, you want to use a STOCK exhaust on a 1915cc with a mild cam in a BUS thats going to pull hills?

I don't see the intake side as a huge problem, depending on the RPM. Not all of us want an engine designed to spin over 4500 or so. I do agree that the exhaust can be a problem, especially in higher ambient temps.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

sled wrote:

I don't see the intake side as a huge problem, depending on the RPM. Not all of us want an engine designed to spin over 4500 or so. I do agree that the exhaust can be a problem, especially in higher ambient temps. However I doubt Belgium has to worry about that compared to the southwest U.S.
vandenabeele andries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

jfdestree wrote:
Swap engine for MOT.
If it is more than 50 years old, you are MOT exempt when registered as Oldtimers.

You must live in the Walloon erea. I live in Flanders. We dont have a 100% 50 year exemption here. I believe you do. Yes they are softer on MOT when its +50. But arriving at an MOT center with dual 40s and a 4to1 is asking for trouble. I Spend a lot of time around Spa, Malmedy and Vielsalm.

Dont have the desire of a high revving engine. 4500rpm is my aboslute max. I spend most of my time hunched over on the highway at 60mph. I really just need the extra torque climbing hills.

I have no clue if the original exhaust is going to be a big issue. Ive seen guys run 1835s with original exhaust.

Max temp over here is 105. We do get 95F over here.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

vandenabeele andries wrote:

I have no clue if the original exhaust is going to be a big issue. Ive seen guys run 1835s with original exhaust.

One thing is seeing these engines/set ups around. Another thing is how they work and how they run.
If you want to use a dual Zenith or DCNF and go through the hazzle of getting one of those dialed in for your engine, be my guest.
That said, I would recommend a modified CB Center section and end castings along with a 37 mm Solex Pict3. If it has to be Engle, then the W100.
If it has to be the stock muffler, then gut it and make it "equal length" inside. Or, bite the bullet and buy a VS SS143 bus muffler. (They are legal in Belgium too.)
As always. Most of the power is in the heads. A fair port and a killer valve and seat job can make a huuge difference in usable torque.
I normally don´t do 1914 bus engines. I´d rather stay at 1835 thick wall or go with more stroke. 1955 cc is a popular size. The 1955 stock look´s typically hover around 100 hp and 165 Nm torque.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

vandenabeele andries wrote:
jfdestree wrote:
Swap engine for MOT.

You must live in the Walloon erea. I live in Flanders. We dont have a 100% 50 year exemption here. I believe you do. Yes they are softer on MOT when its +50. But arriving at an MOT center with dual 40s and a 4to1 is asking for trouble. I Spend a lot of time around Spa, Malmedy and Vielsalm.

Dont have the desire of a high revving engine. 4500rpm is my aboslute max. I spend most of my time hunched over on the highway at 60mph. I really just need the extra torque climbing hills.

Max temp over here is 105. We do get 95F over here.

Yes, I live between Durbuy and La Roche Wink
I didn't know there is a difference in oldtimers registration between North and South of our wonderful country (Said with sarcasms Laughing )

I would follow advices from Alstrup, can't go wrong with him.
henk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

I think you worry to much about the exhaust for MOT.
My T1 went to MOT with a dual quit pack and dual dell orto’s.
This will not be a probleme,and i live in w-vlaanderen.
For the cam, i have a W-110 in my 1776 with stock heads.
Took it to chimay last year so bit up and down and did wat it has to do.
Never got hot.
I know people will say there are better choices but it runs good.

Henk!!!
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

Somehow, before 1967, there isn't any certificat of compliance. That give room for discussions.
Some MOT stations are known to be a pain in the ass to deal with. Others are more down to earth and open minded regarding oldtimers and modifications.
A friend failed to MOT his T2 because of the FACTORY welding in the middle of the chassis frame. He didn't even try to speak with the tecnicians, went to another station and passed without advisory.

You can find engine combo that are stock looking and works well.
I believe Aircooled beetle paradise from Leopoldsburg can mod a stock 34pict to 39mm and recurve a 034 svda distributor to match. François is very nice guy to deal with.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engle camchoise 1915 in a T1 bus Reply with quote

The CB 2280 cheater cam has a lot more lift than the others and a great choice for a bus. Cut the baffles from the muffler for more flow and enough HP to feel, but a stock appearance. I've built several bus engines like this from 1600 to 2180cc with excellent results.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: