Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready for summer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
If you run Type I inner cv’s and 944 outside cv’s, pay super close attention to properly clocking the cv’s. If they are just one spline off, the 944 cv will beat up the Type I cv.

You are absolutely correct! I didn't realize that the axle spline was identical between type 1, 2 and 944. I wonder why they say the 944 axles are stronger if they are the same diameter?

So I could have just run Type 1 inners! Oh well, the flanges are on order now, too late!

I just pulled one of the outer CVs apart. The balls look like new, the outer races look good but the inner one not so much!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have a spare Bus CV and I have also in the past turned one like this around so that it normally rests in a different spot and got a whole lot more miles out of it. It would then be driving against the opposite surface. I will wait and see what the rest look like before I get too excited.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I got the 944 donor suspension out and home today. If I was starting from scratch with a fresh pan, this whole thing would get welded in. What a sweet setup! Complete with a sway bar. Just need to add a front transaxle mount.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Well, look at that! The EMPI jig doesn't fit the 944 pivot bracket!

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

More issues. The park brake shoe linings have failed on one side.

The 944 brackets are much narrower than the EMPI brackets.

The 944 through bolts are smaller.

And this end is completely different.

So... do not let anyone tell you that the 944 control arms are a bolt on. They absolutely ARE NOT!!! Can I make them work? Yes I believe I can. At this point though I am thinking seriously about abandoning the EMPI brackets that don't fit the 944 control arms anyway and cutting the brackets off the 944 torsion tube to use.

As for the EMPI jigs... waste of time and money! They don't fit. I believe I can get it closer using the 944 control arms as jigs.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I understood the bushings had to be changed to beetle in order to fit.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Unless those rotors are way above minimum spec they are junk to. Now I remember why I never swapped out the rear for 944 stuff when one was given to me. Good luck with the swap.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

My brake machinist has the rotors done already. I just need to pick them up.

I plan on changing the brackets to match the 944 stuff. I think it will be simpler and quicker.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Beetle to Bus IRS conversion flanges arrived.

... seems... according to the Dr... I have torn my right rotator cuff. Don't recall doing anything that would have caused that but here I am in the middle of this project with the usual spring chores and activities and I am all gimped up!

Frustration is setting in...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Comparing some more parts, first is the torsion bars. Not interchangeable, two different lengths. I suspect the IRS Beetle would be the same though but the swing axle ones are shorter. No problem as I wanted to use the 944 ones anyway for more load capacity with the heavier type 4 engine.

The rubber bushings are different too but it looks like I can use the Beetle ones on the 944 parts.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

What are the diameters of the two torsion bars? Just curious. Typical Beetle short bars are either 21 or 22 mm.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

The Beetle's are 21mm and the 944 has 23.5mm bars. Same splines on the ends though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Moving on to the torsion bar retaining caps. There is a significant difference here too! I suppose I could have cut down and filed the 944 pieces but modifying the Beetle ones is simpler. I do believe the IRS Beetle caps would have been a direct bolt up but that is not what I have.

First impression was to cut the spot welds and punch out the cap in the middle... didn't work! On closer inspection they aren't little center caps, these units are two separate stampings just spot welded with 4 tack welds.

Plan B is to machine out the centers instead.

Fits nicely!

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I am quite surprised that someone has not piped up here with their Beetle/944 swap. I talked to a chap I Saskatoon about a couple years back. I saw a Baja Bug behind his shop that had this swap done. "No idea," he said "it belongs to a guy who used to work for me." When inquiring on this site a while back it sounded like it was a common thing.

Well, if I am a pioneer here, so be it. Maybe someone in the future can benefit no matter the outcome.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I have 944 torsion bars and spring plates on my Deserter with 1969 chassis. I had to cut the 944 bushings off. Beetle bushings do fit. Some clearance grinding was needed to the VW shock towers for the adjusting nuts on the inner side of the torsion spring plates. But my chassis was CV joint type so not sure if you will need to grind that area on the swing axle type chassis.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

There we go! Thanks!

Yes I will watch for that. I am looking forward to that extra adjustment the 944s had. And yes those rubber bushings are hanging on pretty tight. I might have to cut them off too.

Did you fund the bars changed the ride very much?
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I used a coarse twist wire wheel to get the remains of the bushing off. Works slick. The buggy is still under construction so haven't driven it yet. The Deserter has an 84" wheelbase vs 80" for most other buggies. I figured it will be somewhat heavier especially with my 300lbs carcass in the seat. So I hope the extra spring rate will be OK. Preliminary test drive should be this summer. But you'll probably know before I will how it rides. Enjoying your thread. I oughta do one for my build I guess.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

No more progress, we have 3 grandsons here on spring break so... teaching them to run the wood splitter (after digging it out of a 5 foot snow drift). No personal agenda there of course! Wink Then I taught them how to tap trees to make maple syrup. Yesterday we spent most of our day shooting gophers. Sounded like WW3 but in the end there was a few dead ones.

Today we will break out the sand rail and the remaining bluebird nest boxes and have a morning of learning to drive a stick between hanging the boxes.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

That actually sounds like MORE fun than working on the buggy. A fine weekend indeed! Very Happy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

I had a dig around in my junk yesterday and found something I had forgotten about. A pair of early 944 trailing arms. These do appear to use the same inner mount bolts as the IRS Beetle!

These trailing arms were free-be's, looks to me like someone used the stub axles and brakes for a project and discarded the arms. It also appears that the brakes have a very different mounting system than the later 944s.

More research needed. Company coming for the weekend...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for summer Reply with quote

Maple syrup run is finished, company gone I am trying to get a bit more progress on the Buggy with gardening season looming...

I have been on a Porsche forum asking questions. It appears that these "early 944" control arms are actually Beetle control arms! Oh well, they were free... and have badly rusted up wheel bearings. I now have a good pair of Beetle stub axles... Rolling Eyes

I also found out the the '86 944 aluminum control arms are not wider than the early steel ones. '87 and on are so that is good in the fact that it will help to keep the tires under the fenders where they belong. I ordered a set of 225-70-15 tires and theory tells me that will give me 3000 RPM at 68 mph. Nice cruising gearing compromise I hope!

So start the day with swapping out the winter tires for summer ones on the Jetta, it is now the first of May so not too much of a chance for a snow storm now. Then on to important things! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: