Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pilot Jet Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Pilot Jet Question Reply with quote

I have an original '56 oval with the original carb. Seems every time I drive it, i have to remove the pilot jet and clean or it will not idle.
Once I clean it, no problems until ti sits for awhile, the I have to clean it again. Does anyone have the same problem? If so, besides cleaning it, is there an additive you are using in the gas? I tried Marvel Mystery Oil and am using Stable for the gas. That does not seem to help. I am open for ideas.
Thanks
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Jet Question Reply with quote

It's not the cleaning of it that's helping the issue, I think it's the modern fuel.
Next time it's acting up and about to die crack the jet open just a tiny tiny bit, see if it runs and idles fine with the jet just very barely not fully seated.

I bet it works great that way. I've used some petroleum safe nylon tape to seal the threads and just left the jet 'un-seated' the tiniest amount and it seemed to fix that problem. I think it's the ethanol in the fuel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Jet Question Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
It's not the cleaning of it that's helping the issue, I think it's the modern fuel.
Next time it's acting up and about to die crack the jet open just a tiny tiny bit, see if it runs and idles fine with the jet just very barely not fully seated.

I bet it works great that way. I've used some petroleum safe nylon tape to seal the threads and just left the jet 'un-seated' the tiniest amount and it seemed to fix that problem. I think it's the ethanol in the fuel.

x2! I had to use this “fix” on several cars over the years for all years! Just a tiny bit open. Heck sometimes, you could crack them open, and twist the jet back in and it self cleaned enough to reseat the jet! But I would still remove, wrap and reinstall them just shy of a full seating! Easy fix!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Jet Question Reply with quote

Thanks! I will give it a try. Lately, I have been carrying around an extra jet and wrench.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Jet Question Reply with quote

You may have some loose corrosion in the fuel passages. Try some good but mild acidic cleaner like citric acid or I use phosphoric and it eats the corrosion. Be carefull though, it will eat the pot metal too, but it can make the carb look brand new.
friday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Pilot Jet Question Reply with quote

I plan to remove the carb and give it a sonic cleaning soon, Maybe that will help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: