Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

Does Ed's grind, polish and balance aircooled VW crankshafts?
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

Apparently he can't cause "You can't just go to any crank shop and get a grind." Laughing

I have never seen a crank grinding machine that is manufacturer specific. Same theory on all cranks. Lots of V8 machine guys don't want to do VW's, but that is a different issue.

Brian
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

I've heard good things about DPR: https://dprmachine.com/products/crankshafts-type-i/
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)

Last edited by heimlich on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
MOFOCO sells stock type replacement heads that are cast and machined in the U.S.A. Not sure where their springs, seats, and valves are manufactured.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
d'oh!

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

Forgot about the guides. Not sure where they come from either. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
SBD wrote:
MOFOCO sells stock type replacement heads that are cast and machined in the U.S.A. Not sure where their springs, seats, and valves are manufactured.

d'oh!

Glad Im not the one who brought this up!!! Doesnt matter where the hardware is from if you cant install it correctly.

Brian_e wrote:
USA parts can be shit just as easy. Brian

I fully agree.

These parts and the 'made in the usa' webers from a few years back just prove the point that MITUS doesnt mean what it used to.

Last edited by AlteWagen on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

Yes.

What’s That Noise?!?
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy from Mofoco, that is unless you like waiting a year for heads and not getting a refund when you ask for one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I spent a lot of time discussing crankshafts with Ed in Newark yesterday.

He’s NOT the fan of China cranks that everyone here is.

Not so much the common errors dimensionally,
His issue is with the metallurgy.

People today just don’t do the miles they used to,
So the problems don’t appear soon, if at all.

4140 is soft & not nitrided, and probably clogs his rock.
4340 is harder as well as nitirded.
the reason why I first went to after market cranks was the first vw I built I was balancing the crank and when I went to drill it it drilled like aluminum.....oh so soft. I finished balancing it, 8doweled it and threw it on the shelf and ordered a stroker scat crank.I have never used a stock vw crank in anything...and donut intend to either. I also donut use the 4140 soft cranks.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

I've seen some 4140 cranks hold up great and others don't, I guess like everything else it's not so simple as what number the steel has, which is not really true anyway, metric steels don't conform to american numbers.

Harder is not always better.
The "toughest" way to make a crank is still mild vanadium steel with a tuftrided surface.
If a chevy duramax could use a 4340 china crank they would have gone ahead and done that. Honda knows, ford knows, berg figure it out, VW knew, everybody knows, except mark tucker apparently, who likes his china cranks extra hard. Razz

But the better the steel is the harder it CAN be, without cracking, so real good cranks can be moderately hard.
Vanagonsgoslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

The computers and iPhones/SmartPhones people are using to look at this topic are ALL made in China. Kind of ironic, don't you think?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Look for NOS parts in the classifieds.

^^^This^^^

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...amp;page=0

I don't think electrickery works that way
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

Chinese parts are fine if you like a lot of slag. I think the Titanic's rivets were made there.

OEM parts are worth the wait.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

Disclaimer - I'm not a trained mechanic or engineer. What exactly is wrong w/the MOFOCO head?

AlteWagen wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
SBD wrote:

d'oh!

Glad Im not the one who brought this up!!! Doesnt matter where the hardware is from if you cant install it correctly.

Brian_e wrote:
USA parts can be shit just as easy. Brian

I fully agree.

These parts and the 'made in the usa' webers from a few years back just prove the point that MITUS doesnt mean what it used to.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

Look at the bases where the springs sit. Complete garbage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimbabwe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

I had the same question and now I see, too. Wow.

Yup. Made in USA doesn't mean it's good.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

94touring wrote:

Oh wow - now I see it. Yikes. Can something like that be salvaged? MOFOCO doesn't guarantee their work?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I spent a lot of time discussing crankshafts with Ed in Newark yesterday.

He’s NOT the fan of China cranks that everyone here is.

Not so much the common errors dimensionally,
His issue is with the metallurgy.

People today just don’t do the miles they used to,
So the problems don’t appear soon, if at all.
I guess it's a YMMV issue, along with when the part was produced as in inconsistent quality. I know so many people running China cranks with heavy miles and zero issues. Hell, I know three or so guys running modern counter weighted CAST cranks that have no issues for 50k plus miles.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
94touring wrote:

Oh wow - now I see it. Yikes. Can something like that be salvaged? MOFOCO doesn't guarantee their work?

Roy,was supposed to send me a set of replacement heads back in 2021. I'm still waiting for them.
Read about Mofoco heads in this post.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757179

02/76 Beetle sedan
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Parts Not Made in China Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Chinese parts are fine if you like a lot of slag. I think the Titanic's rivets were made there.

OEM parts are worth the wait.

Unless you want to build something other than a stock engine.

I've been beating on my Chinese parts for 13 years in 4 different engine configurations of over 200hp and now over 300 and they seem to be doing just fine. The only parts I ever had fail were MIA.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: