Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight switch short
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bikechunks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

I was driving my van the other day when all of a sudden the headlight switch started to pour out smoke. Once I turned it off the smoke stopped so there wasn’t much damage. I don’t know where to start looking for a problem, any advice would help. Thanks!
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

What year of van? The older ones (85 and earlier 84 and earlier, thanks!) don't have a fuse on the dash light circuit. I found this out very suddenly and violently on a freeway. That was fun.

This is the blue/gray wire off the dimmer portion of the headlight switch. This wire is where I would start looking for a short.

Robyn

PS, put the year and model of your van in your signature, it'll help us a lot Smile

Last edited by squeegee_boy on Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bikechunks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

It’s an 85, I’ve had a few problems with the wiring in the 85 but this is by far the worst.
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

Do you have high wattage bulbs? I melted my switch by using higher wattage bulbs without using relays to handle the higher load. In addition to the switch being fubar, the plastic connector was melted and deformed. I had to bust it all apart and plug the wires in individually. After that incident I installed relays and no problems since. That must be at least 20 years ago.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

85 and later came with a fuse for dash lighting.
Maybe someone replaced the fuse with a higher amp one?

85 Bentley diagram says fuse S-13 and 8-amp.

80-84 no fuse.

Mark
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

overloading the switch with high wattage lamps can cause this but also the rheostat to control dash lamp brightness can overheat and smoke without blowing a fuse, if a fuse is even present. a new switch will get you a few years smoke free operation or you can eliminate the weakness by soldering a strap over the rheostat connections and controlling brightness with tinted silicone lamp covers.

OR put the rheostat on full brightness which bypasses the wire wound element that gets hot.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

Just happened to me last week ...

This is what you need.
https://gowesty.com/products/headlight-switch
Early: # 251-941-531M (1980-1990)

mine was smoking and melted at the dimmer wheel.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Bikechunks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

Thank goodness this wasn’t my 91. Finding a headlight switch for that year is incredibly hard.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

Bikechunks wrote:
Thank goodness this wasn’t my 91. Finding a headlight switch for that year is incredibly hard.

Yes it is. I bypassed my '90 switch with relays, so now there's only a couple watts going thru the headlights switch.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
bartt59
Samba Member

Location: Directly over the gravitational center of the earth

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight switch short Reply with quote

I have undimmable/stoppable dash lights and just got a new GW headlight switch (M) today to replace a failed (I thought) switch in my '84 Wolfsburg that follows the '85 Bentley circuit diagram. I now have full brightness dash lights in all 3 headlight switch positions with key on/off and the dimmer has no effect in this unfused circuit. Metering across the constant on yellow/red power and dash light blue gray pins numbered 30 with the switch fully off should show 0 volts but there is full continuity with no dimmer effect. This is the same condition with 2 other switches I have. Am I failing or do I have 3 faulty switches ? Does anyone have a switch to test to in/validate my stupidity ?
Thanks from Arkansas.

1984 Westy GL 4 sp
1985 Westy GL Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: