Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's talk vintage speed wheels
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

What aluminum, magnesium, steel , aluminum steel wheel ..will qualify as a vintage speed wheel I know american racing torq thrust D aluminum wheels came out in 1965 and the magnesium versions 1963 so I know that those wheels qualifys as vintage speed wheels ...what about brm and empi gt5 wheels some will say no but yet some will say yes these wheels were made after Dec 1965 ..January 1966 to be exact just trying to figure out a true wheel beside the porsche 356 pre A 16 , porsche 356 A,b, and 356 c,sc wheels since we know they are vintage wheels for sure..but there were many wheels during the 60s in which they qualify for builds to keep it correct.. what year will wheels not be correct for vintage speed after what year is it still the same anything before Dec 1965 ???? Halibrand wheels made magnesium wheels in the 1950s and 1960s but we never see these wheels on vintage speed builds when in reality they qualify for sure as well ....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

Link 👇👇👇👇
https://www.motortrend.com/features/ccrp-0605-magnesium-torq-thrust/
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

I remember you taking part in these discussions back when this "Vintage Speed" forum started in 2008 Jerry. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324412

I don't think it's possible to really nail down a definitive description but most would agree with up to 30th December 1969. When comes to hardware like wheels most of the classic styles had appeared by the end of the '60s but that doesn't mean you have to source genuine originals. If you made an "originals only" ruling you'd be turning "Vintage Speed" into an elitist hobby...not the original intention at all.

Just my opinion...others welcome... Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I remember you taking part in these discussions back when this "Vintage Speed" forum started in 2008 Jerry. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=324412

I don't think it's possible to really nail down a definitive description but most would agree with up to 30th December 1969. When comes to hardware like wheels most of the classic styles had appeared by the end of the '60s but that doesn't mean you have to source genuine originals. If you made an "originals only" ruling you'd be turning "Vintage Speed" into an elitist hobby...not the original intention at all.

Just my opinion...others welcome... Smile

Thanks for the reply ....I was just curious about the whole wheel situation it was because I was hearing friends debate on this situation ....and it got me thinking as well ..of course replicas wheels are welcomed just as long as it's the same style of wheel that was available during the time 👍 .... I was just double checking on the year of wheel we are allowed to to use and use replica wheels of that design .. I'm to poor to afford $15,000 magnesium brm wheels anyways If I were to go that route I would just got with the flat 4 version much much cheaper and with those wheels still keep the theme of the time era but at the end I'm not going with brm most likely porsche 356 wheels ....
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

steel fumagallis were available in the 60's, but I am uncertain how early.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

Aluminum Porsche 550 wheels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

I was also thinking cragar ss wheels these also came in 15x4.5 with some autobahn 560Rx15 tires .. these came in 1963 they still make them today ...
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

Minilites came out in the early 60s. Also Dunlop racing wheels would certainly give you old speed cred (if you can afford them).

Heck, even carefully drilled/lightenend stock steelies can give you a proper old speed look without breaking the bank.

Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

I went with powder coated silver '67 wheels
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Let's talk vintage speed wheels Reply with quote

I always loved the Porsche 550 wheels.

I really, really, like Cosmics on pre 65 cars, but unsure of how common they were on VWs back in the day.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: