Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

space wrote:
Skills was your Trans guy referring to the manual or auto SG product?
T

i'm sorry, the manual "flipped" ring and pinion. my point is if they are still having issues with this product i put little faith in their 'new' products

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
StruppiWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am from Québec Canada. I am engaged in the 4aet co version with SG upgraded kit. I am taking the chance that the mentionned issues would be fixed.

The 4aet does not come from the same car than ej25. I already figured out the connection between the tran, tcu and ecu. Still have to figure the chifter aspect and the position of the transmission. The ej25 is fixed on smallcar moustaches.

I am interested to have some advice and share experience and information, in and after the project

Louis
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

StruppiWest wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am from Québec Canada. I am engaged in the 4aet co version with SG upgraded kit. I am taking the chance that the mentionned issues would be fixed.

The 4aet does not come from the same car than ej25. I already figured out the connection between the tran, tcu and ecu. Still have to figure the chifter aspect and the position of the transmission. The ej25 is fixed on smallcar moustaches.

I am interested to have some advice and share experience and information, in and after the project

Louis

Welcome Aboard Louis !!! Very Happy

Here's some exciting news of a Pushbutton Shifter
a Chap In Au Is Building!
AGT Wiring:

https://fb.watch/h24TjKr-7t/

I'm hoping they can partner up with Subarugears
and make a Wiring Harness
that is Plug and Play for the
Reversed 4EAT !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Reversed 4EAT

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

I am running the SCP prototype of the 4EAT kit in trials now.

First impressions:
It is fun to drive.
It is noisy.

These two things are in direct conflict in my mind. The transmission whines through low gears and smooths out as you get up to highways speeds.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

[quote=

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

We made our own.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

ute wrote:
We made our own.

Nice ! Very Happy

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

It is exciting stuff!

It isn't a priority project right now since we are working on the South Tacoma Grille and a few other items.

A little history on our 4EAT: we ran one with a chain for about 5000 miles before the ownership change is it was just really noisy and not commercially viable at the time. Things have changed and how we run the transmission and wire it has changed quite a bit to help make it more refined. It isn't quite to our standard yet under new ownership, but we plan to keep refining it over time.

I am not really sure about the RJES stuff you mention, but I see a lot of room for many participants to iterate and develop products competitively and collaboratively. I hope we see more walls come down on the vendor side to create more value to the greater market.

-Austin
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
space wrote:
Skills was your Trans guy referring to the manual or auto SG product?
T

i'm sorry, the manual "flipped" ring and pinion. my point is if they are still having issues with this product i put little faith in their 'new' products

The transmission shop/builder was Rancho. Mike over at Rancho complained that some ring gears were 'soft' and sent them back to us claiming they were 40 Rockwell Hardness. We had them tested by an independent lab and they were nearly 60 Rockwell hardness. Videos of these gears being tested have been on the Subarugears Facebook site for several months so there's no secrecy.

The gears Mike was claiming were soft were different ratios and from different production runs so it's virtually impossible that an error in hardening could have occured across different batches. The pinion gears hardened at the same time, using the same process were all OK with Mike and OK with our testing. It made no sense.

Mike and I have had to agree to disagree as we could not come to a resolution, even though I provided replacement product free of charge. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

There are no ongoing issues with the 5 speed and 6 speed manual ring and pinions - we have had 13 entries race Baja and 13 finishes over the last 6 years. I have raced it myself twice and I can tell you they cop a beating. There have been many hundreds of these transmissions installed in all sorts of conversions. The most power we've seen held is 517hp at the wheels and the most kms I've had reported is 100,000kms from a Canadian customer running an FA20 turbo and 5 speed.

With the reversed auto transmission I drove my own converted EJ25 4EAT Vanagon for a year /approx 10,000 kms without issue before I released the product for sale. I thought that was a reasonable amount of testing on my own car without failure. I have had a TON of people ask me to develop it over the years early adopters have said they are willing to try it, even if there are some issues that require refining.

You are right to be weary of installing the first conversions to market. Despite my confidence after a year of testing, once released to market we found some issues :

(1) The thrust on the billet rear plate was different to my test trans and not correct, allowing the top sprocket and chain to move in/out and interfere with the inside of the rear plate. This has been corrected with correct thrust, more clearance and now an endless loop chain so there is no master link that sticks out further. I have sent revisions out to customers free of charge.

(2) There is some chain stretch after many miles. The endless chain that I have sent out to customers is of a higher quality and should only have minimal stretching. If it persists, we will implement a tensioner design.

(3) There is some noise from the chain system at low speed. It's still being investigated as there could be many things that contribute to this. I'm going to test various mount setups to see if there is significant difference in them. I'm also going to trial a thicker end plate to see if that insulates the noise more. It will also have some fins on it as per the Subaru end cone to see if that helps with harmonics.

I'm hardly ever on the Samba but was alerted to this thread and thought it worth an update. If customers would like to contact us about their auto conversion and ongoing issues please email [email protected]
StruppiWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

I need some help to back the motor for making room for the 4eat, 3 cm as indicated on subarugears site. Any other video or pictures available?

I am also looking how to fix the stock schifter on the 4eat. Any exemple available?
DirtDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

And the thread holds it's breath...... Very Happy

I did the 5 speed swap in one of our shop vans years ago. We beat the crap out of it, and it's still working just great.

Also building a harness for a customer installing one soon, so it'll be nice to hear how that turns out.

Thanks for chiming in SubaruGears
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Here's a really good video of the process to get the Subarugears kit fitted to a 4EAT transmission.

https://youtu.be/4xBU-g0Y2Zw

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Just got the New Endless Chain !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NEXT; on to the modified end cover plate.
And the Limited Slip Differential Install

Best,
JC...

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frankenfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Energy Concepts, I just ordered the LSD from Subarugears. I'd love to see a video of your LSD going in. Smile
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Subaru Gears Limited Slip Differential

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Regarding the chain noise of the 4EAT swap. What level are you talking about, fuel pump whine, straight cut gears whine or dragging train brakes? Is it just in first gear, low speed, stop and go traffic situations?

I could only image that it's always there, just the clatter of the rest of the Vanagon over powers it. It's an intriguing swap.
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Subarugears fixed it !

The original reversed 4EAT kit was developed by Subarugears and tested for nearly 12 months and 10,000 kms without issue before being released for sale.

With careful analysis of production parts vs our original test parts, we found some differences.

The Subasprocket tooth profile used in production was not exactly the same as our test parts. This is the reason for some chain noise at lower speeds and some premature chain stretching as the chain and sprocket profiles were not meshing and rocking correctly.

New Subasprockets with optimised tooth profile are in manufacture. We are confident these will significantly improve the performance and enjoyment of the Subarugears reversed 4eat kit just as we saw in testing.

Subarugears will provide replacement Subasprockets and chains to existing customers as they become available, expected late October.

Subarugears continues to support its product and customers with the original and most complete reversed 4eat kit.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Subarugears wrote:
Subarugears fixed it !

The original reversed 4EAT kit was developed by Subarugears and tested for nearly 12 months and 10,000 kms without issue before being released for sale.

With careful analysis of production parts vs our original test parts, we found some differences.

The Subasprocket tooth profile used in production was not exactly the same as our test parts. This is the reason for some chain noise at lower speeds and some premature chain stretching as the chain and sprocket profiles were not meshing and rocking correctly.

New Subasprockets with optimised tooth profile are in manufacture. We are confident these will significantly improve the performance and enjoyment of the Subarugears reversed 4eat kit just as we saw in testing.

Subarugears will provide replacement Subasprockets and chains to existing customers as they become available, expected late October.

Subarugears continues to support its product and customers with the original and most complete reversed 4eat kit.

👍. Nice and nice way to take care of folks that have already invested in this solution.

It's not always a clear line when to keep developing and when to present to market and then mass use brings up things that don't come up in development so this is a nice way to support early adopters.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru 4EAT Automatic Transmission Conversions Reply with quote

Just to throw another iron in the fire, has anyone looked at the ReversarU (also from Aus) which replaces the chain with an intermediate gear to produce the same effect with a fraction of the noise?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=782962

webwalker
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: