Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel Balancing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
If you're going to keep the car for some time.... invest in a tool.

https://ronlummusracing.com/product/5x205-wheel-balancer-adapter/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can be a local hero to your VW community.

I have Porsche 356 wheels with 14mm studs (uses lug nuts not bolts). I'll have to reach out to them to see if this would work if I don't go with the beads.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Reviving this thread for a question about balancing beads.
Any tips or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

These guys don't recommend beads for passenger car tires: https://counteractbalancing.com/2020/10/05/internal-tire-balancers-in-cars/

If you want to DIY, Bostig has a YT video showing how he improved the accuracy of those HF bubble balancers: https://youtu.be/lOFi-bioUpc
This should be fine for static balancing narrow tires like on a bug but wider tires should be done dynamically.

Last edited by frenchroast on Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

Just get 5 VW lug bolts, either 12 or 14mm then adapter will work, looks like that adapter has both threads in it. Balancer won't care.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

I have a few adapters left, made a few extra when I needed one.
Back in the day they would do the balancing on the car, that was a great method for the old 5 bolt wheels.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
rcroane wrote:
Reviving this thread for a question about balancing beads.
Any tips or advice would be welcome. Thanks.

These guys don't recommend beads for passenger car tires: https://counteractbalancing.com/2020/10/05/internal-tire-balancers-in-cars/

If you want to DIY, Bostig has a YT video showing how he improved the accuracy of those HF bubble balancers: https://youtu.be/lOFi-bioUpc
This should be fine for static balancing narrow tires like on a bug but wider tires should be done dynamically.

Yep...I've seen that...but plenty of folks swear by them. @Volkswagnut's quote earlier in this thread. But, as he says....to each his own.

"I have always had high quality high speed wheel balancers at my disposal.
For Vw wide 5's .. I've used them all.. adapters, plates, balanced front drums, even the old on car balancers .. ...but once wheel balance beads came onto the market for commercial trucks.... I never looked back.. I drop them in everything tire I own I can..
Note they dont work well in wide low profile tires."
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

Yep...I've seen that...but plenty of folks swear by them. @Volkswagnut's quote earlier in this thread. But, as he says....to each his own.

Not opposed to beads here. Sounds like you want to run them. The old acvw suspensions are probably suited just fine for them so give it a whirl and report back.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
If you're going to keep the car for some time.... invest in a tool.

https://ronlummusracing.com/product/5x205-wheel-balancer-adapter/

You can be a local hero to your VW community.

This is the one I bought too.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Easier still is to have the tire shop dump the beads in before they inflate and seat the tire, but make sure they don't just drop in the unopened bag. Wink

Got the beads today and it actually says one method is to place the unopened bag in the tire. But, for 3 oz or less, it says to open the bag first. Haven't decided whether I'll do it myself through the valve stem or let the tire shop do it. I have a month to think about it.....the Vredstein's I bought are on backorder Rolling Eyes
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

RWK wrote:
Just get 5 VW lug bolts, either 12 or 14mm then adapter will work, looks like that adapter has both threads in it. Balancer won't care.

The adapter comes with M12 lug bolts and has threads for M14 also.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

I use a 1960's wheel balancer machine that you push up to the tire while its still mounted on the car and spin it up. This allows you to balance the tire and the drum or rotor so the whole assembly is balanced when your done. Much more accurate than taking the tire off and balancing it on the machine w/the adapter or not. You just need to put the tire back on the drum in the same place if you take it off.

My 69' bugs rim fit fine on the tire balancer at discount tire. Curious, I had them balance the front tires when I changed them. I drove it on the freeway afterward and had a vibration.

When I got home, I got my machine out and spun the tires up. They were all off 3-4 ounces. I basically rebalanced the tires. Went back to Discount tire and they refunded me for the balance charge.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: