Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

More photos to come

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

Can anyone help me out telling where to find the exact cloth material for the seats and mattress like this one 👇 I need to buy the cloth fabric to do upholstery

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

lots of places have seat-covers and material, e.g., bus depot, west coast metric, go westy, j bugs, or the source, tmi.

then, there's these guys that might have what you need:

nlavw.com

good luck.
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
lots of places have seat-covers and material, e.g., bus depot, west coast metric, go westy, j bugs, or the source, tmi.

then, there's these guys that might have what you need:

nlavw.com

good luck.

Thanks
Just checked those sites but couldn’t find the same fabric there
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

hard to tell from your photo (on-screen colors are often not true), but your covers look like yellow-plaid westfalia to me. here links to are both yellow and orange. they also have green.

and, you’re welcome for my efforts to help.

https://nlavw.com/home/182-westfalia-yellow-chequered-seat-cloth-as-original-per-meter.html

https://nlavw.com/home/183-westfalia-orange-chequered-seat-cloth-as-original-per-meter.html
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
hard to tell from your photo (on-screen colors are often not true), but your covers look like yellow-plaid westfalia to me. here links to are both yellow and orange. they also have green.

https://nlavw.com/home/182-westfalia-yellow-chequered-seat-cloth-as-original-per-meter.html

https://nlavw.com/home/183-westfalia-orange-chequered-seat-cloth-as-original-per-meter.html

Million thanks
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

you’re welcome.

they also have “helsinki” fabric that might be closer to what you’re looking for.
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

Wondering if those holes around side mirrors are original ? Is this manufactured metal guard around the base of side mirrors correct? Or should I through them away and fill those holes and obliterate them?

canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:

I also agree with u . I think it’s yellow plaid . But what is confusing me is data suggested by M plate about interior being camping green cloth 👇

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

it’s at least possible that your present interior is a redo.

i’m a firm believer in doing what you like. i like 100% natural fibers, so went all cotton dark brown canvas. works great on my ce2.

but i understand the desire to keep things original. the “green” has no red to my eyes. the “yellow” does. maybe the germans’ eyes were blue, so saw yellow as green?

what fabric was most common to ‘79 orange campers? maybe check the gallery?

by the way, i don’t think those holes in the doors are original. i think someone put truck mirrors on it at some point.

other, more knowledgeable folks will have to chime in.
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
it’s at least possible that your present interior is a redo.

i’m a firm believer in doing what you like. i like 100% natural fibers, so went all cotton dark brown canvas. works great on my ce2.

but i understand the desire to keep things original. the “green” has no red to my eyes. the “yellow” does. maybe the germans’ eyes were blue, so saw yellow as green?

what fabric was most common to ‘79 orange campers? maybe check the gallery?

by the way, i don’t think those holes in the doors are original. i think someone put truck mirrors on it at some point.

other, more knowledgeable folks will have to chime in.

R u suggesting that the interior fabric in my car is not the original one? And it’s a redo done at a later stage?
May I know why do u believe so?
Thanks
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

just saying it’s possible. 2023 - 1979 = 44.
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

Hello,
canaris wrote:
R u suggesting that the interior fabric in my car is not the original one?

It's all ok, it's the original! See the old VW brochures.
The fabric is offered by many retailers as a good reproduction.

I have the same - at some areas the old original - and at some a renewed reproduction - look and feel the same in good quality.

It's like the original 100% Polyester - but I would not recommend hydrophilic cotton in a camper van there - you live in a tin can with a lot of moisture Wink
I love also cotton - but above it and replaceable/removable to dry outside.

The holes near the side mirrors are not original and only from the previous mounted not original mirrors. There were also no other options fitted there by VW or Westfalia.

The bracket on the back of the sliding door should be silver (chrome at some earlier versions).

At the rear there should be 3 holes near bumper level for cavity protection of the frame - closed with transparent caps.
I'm not sure - but I only see only one clearly? If these missing it was welded sometime before.

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
Hello,
canaris wrote:
R u suggesting that the interior fabric in my car is not the original one?

It's all ok, it's the original! See the old VW brochures.
The fabric is offered by many retailers as a good reproduction.

I have the same - at some areas the old original - and at some a renewed reproduction - look and feel the same in good quality.

It's like the original 100% Polyester - but I would not recommend hydrophilic cotton in a camper van there - you live in a tin can with a lot of moisture Wink
I love also cotton - but above it and replaceable/removable to dry outside.

The holes near the side mirrors are not original and only from the previous mounted not original mirrors. There were also no other options fitted there by VW or Westfalia.

The bracket on the back of the sliding door should be silver (chrome at some earlier versions).

At the rear there should be 3 holes near bumper level for cavity protection of the frame - closed with transparent caps.
I'm not sure - but I only see only one clearly? If these missing it was welded sometime before.

regards,

Thanks that is very useful indeed.

“The bracket on the back of the sliding door should be silver“
What is the bracket ? Which part are u talking about ? Thanks
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

canaris wrote:
What is the bracket ? Which part are u talking about ? Thanks

photos from the classifieds at the samba - as I wrote: your's was original silver - not chrome - now your's is orange overpainted:

2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

The rear middle window is just glass on sliding door while it is the classical fan shaped one on the drivers side. Shouldn’t they both be identical ? Photos 👇

rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

canaris wrote:
The rear middle window is just glass on sliding door while it is the classical fan shaped one on the drivers side.

The Westfalia style window is somehow useful at the kitchen side (not really with the open lid of the Berlin kitchen that cover most of the window Wink )
The sliding window is more useful on the passengers side while driving.
Both window types are VW options at this time.

You have an unidentified M plate option - may be this cover it.
Or somebody changed it in time for the more useful option.
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
canaris wrote:
The rear middle window is just glass on sliding door while it is the classical fan shaped one on the drivers side.

The Westfalia style window is somehow useful at the kitchen side (not really with the open lid of the Berlin kitchen that cover most of the window Wink )
The sliding window is more useful on the passengers side while driving.
Both window types are VW options at this time.

You have an unidentified M plate option - may be this cover it.
Or somebody changed it in time for the more useful option.

You have an unidentified M plate option
What do u mean by that?
And thanks for your continuous insights
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

Your not decoded SF0...
these were collective group codes different over the model years

As what I found till now the SF0 for only model year 1979 is collective code for: M 172, 181, 184, 227, 506
172 steel belt tubeless tires
181 chrome wheel covers and exterior mirrors
184 3-point seat belts for driver and single passenger seat
227 headrests according to existing recordings in the driver's cab
506 brake booster (left-hand drive) and dual-circuit brake indicator light

So no indication for a sliding window since production as M 508.
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
canaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Berlin 1979 restoration. Need help from experts. Reply with quote

I see that the side cabin lights are missing in my westy
Where could I find 2 either reproductions or used in good condition?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: