Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

i have a boiling spring thats developed over the past five years, its about forty feet away from the original spring that has been running since at least 1865. that spring puts out about 5 gallons a minute and the new spring is about 3- gallons per minute. i have hydraulic cement and wanted to use the granite i have on hand for the base, i have gravel as well. what i want to know is what is the best approach to building the base. how to dig down around the spring etc..any one with first hand knowledge here? thanks!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

Lucky you, we have a springs 'up the road' , No help really, hope the knowledge isn't lost we the old timers,, for the structure I'd use Cedar Wink Cheers,Mike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

check out the old "Foxfire " books.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

There was a spring on the riverbank 15 minutes east of the city I grew up in. Someone had driven a pipe into it and it ran cold clear delicious water all year around. Dad used to take us out there every Sunday afternoon and we would fill up several jugs for drinking and cooking water.

I stopped by there about 15 years ago to show our kids and tell them the story. The pipe was still there, water was still running out but it was brown and putrid! There is a whole subdivision of high end acreages on the hill above now. I expect that pipe is now the sewer outlet for a whole bunch of septic systems.

Hopefully your spring does not suffer the same fate.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

Confused Crying or Very sad Ewwwww ,, that sux Merv,, all our springs run cold & Clear , Drinkable like u said, some flow like Creeks, some just cold boiling quick sand, Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

Hope this pic helps?
[
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

one of our Springs Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

Lots of Spring houses here in Eastern Pennsylvania.
Usually built of native stone into a hillside with storage shelves (often stone ledges) built in.
These were the refrigerators of yesteryear....... and are still highly efficient cooling devices today!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

yes, those are all over sothern chester county and bucks county, really cool structures. Our spring house is just a cover for the actual water, a small cedar roof and a cement basin with an overflow pipe. its been that way for over 150 years. im going to copy that design and keep it simple. my plan is to dig around the perimeter of the source and pour concrete into the channles i dug, once its set i can excavate the center and dump gravel and stone in for the floor, then just build up the sides with gravel and build a roof, shoudl be fairly straight forward. my spring provides the drinking water for all the local businesses that had their water supply polluted by an old gas station that was in the center of town, tanks underground leaked before anyone knew. back when they got rid of the oil from an oil change by pouring it into a hole in the ground. so this is a huge relief for the town as well since there is a backup source now. thanks for the replies guys! ill update this when i start the build.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

hey Mike is that from the Readers Digest book?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

Wink Laughing U betcha,, got a lot of old Mother Earth News too Cool
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

OP said "boiling spring" so I was thing hot tub with a constant overflow...
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

No not hot water, but they look like boiling water,, But it's fricking ice cold , I got into my wet suit once and jumped in a boiling spring w/flippers could not touch bottom Shocked Laughing
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

Perrier
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

I hope Neslie's don't find ours Shocked
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
check out the old "Foxfire " books.

I checked tonight, Book 4 of the series is what you want to look at. There is also a how to make wood water pipes to feed a spring to a well house.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

Wood Plumbing that's some "Flintstone Enginuity" right their Laughing
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Wood Plumbing that's some "Flintstone Enginuity" right their Laughing

Don't laugh too hard.
I had a house in Wa. 2005. The driveway/road to the house had a creek crossing under it.
The culvert pipe was.....Wooden. That was the first and only time in my life I had seen wooden pipe. I heard many a pipe fitters at work talk about it.
I just was floored at seeing it under my driveway.

The pipe looked like hollowed out 12" Cedar, with heavy gauge wire wrapped around the outside for strength.
https://idahoauctionbarn.hibid.com/lot/59421-184311-146149/antique-wooden-water-pipe/

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

We dug up a wooden pipe at a house we had 50 years ago, same as you describe with the 2 1/2s of C profile Cedar, only ours was only ~3" ID.

Wooden culverts were very common many years ago, built just like a barrel with angled staves and steel bands, usually all soaked and covered in Creosote and tar, we had one under the driveway at the road ditch when I was little, so did all the neighbors.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

I've never found a wooden pipe in domestic water supply.
Lead? Lots of lead pipe!
Not so bad for waste water but horrible for supply lines.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone here ever built their own springhouse? Reply with quote

The one I found wasn't any modern pressurised system, more like a stream diversion to a neighboring location somewhere. None of the elder locals could remember anything about it. The area had been inhabited ~ 100 years by the time I found it, that's not at all old compared to some places, but it was damn near dinosaur age for our area.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: