Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater box exhaust leak
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_orange_beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Heater box exhaust leak Reply with quote

Hi all.

Maybe a stupid question but how could I tell if I have a hole in my exhaust pipe that runs through the heater box?

Thanks
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Heater box exhaust leak Reply with quote

Well, you could remove it, seal up one side, tip up one end, and pour water in there. If water comes out, then you have a leak. Or you could remove the muffler, start the motor and take a rag and hold it over the open end (for a short time). If the engine slows down, then you know there is backpressure on that cylinder and no leak. If it keeps on going its merry way and you hear exhaust escaping into the heater box, then you got a leak.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_orange_beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Heater box exhaust leak Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks pal. Will give it a go
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Heater box exhaust leak Reply with quote

I recommend using gasoline instead of water.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Heater box exhaust leak Reply with quote

Water, Gas? Both ideas are not smart (IMO).

You can use a shop vac in "blow" mode. As long as the vac is clean.
Connect the hose to the exhaust tip. Power up the vac and spray a mix of dish soap and water on the outside of the exhaust. If it's leaking. Bubbles will appear.

If the suspected leak is inside the heater box. You're gonna have to get creative.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater box exhaust leak Reply with quote

This is how I tested a 20 year old home made heater box for large engines.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was the first one that I made. Back then NOBODY made such a part. Both ends are plugged, and a tire valve stem is placed on one end to pressurize it with air. Then just dunk it in water and look for air bubbles. You could do the same with a fully stock HB. If the leak is just a pinhole, you will have to do some sort of test (Exhaust in cabin = bad). I have seen HB leak so bad that it sounded like an exhaust leak, and you definitely DO NOT want to use your HBs under either condition.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Heater box exhaust leak Reply with quote

If the heater box is still in the car, drive with the heat on and put a CO monitor (like the kind sold for homes) in the foot well beside the open foot heater vent. Do both sides. If there is a leak the monitor will let you know.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: