Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:45 pm    Post subject: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

I can't tell you how many times I received shipping quote requests for people in Europe, Hawaii, or other locations outside the continental USA. Years ago I updated my signature tab to say "willing to ship international if your willing to pay the outrageous shipping prices". What led me to that is european, Hawaii, or other non continental USA buyers always protesting the shipping charges which I have zero control over and I don't charge for "boxing or handling" only what the actual discounted shipping label costs. This always turns into them wanting the item for less because of the high shipping charges which again, I have no control over and don't markup.
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

I haven't had an issue with Hawaii and it never seemed crazy to me but outside the USA?
Yes, I've had people cancel before because the shipping was super high.

Some of it is I think they just don't know.
Some of it is it's nowhere near that much to ship from Europe to the USA vs. USA to Europe.
It depends on the country though.
I've bought stuff from Germany and it was dirt cheap shipping, like shipping from CA to NY.
From the UK is ridiculous though, same as USA to UK. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

Shipping is odd.
My wife can order can order a pack of Barbie shoes for a few dollars and they come from China with free shipping. She can also order a custom made Barbie dress from Olga in Ukraine and the shipping is only $5.00.
When I order some Dellorto parts from the UK shipping approaches $50.00

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

I sell my gaskets kits on Ebay. I do first class with a tracking number because some people are dishonest and want it for free. The one that gets me is they wait till USPS shows (POSSESSION of item) and then they demand a refund change their mind it a scumbag move.

My jaw drops at the ones that go into the post office and pay retail prices.

pirateship.com is amazing and its free you just make an account you get great rates for usps or ups. The 70s are over. All you need is a phone and a cheap 40$
Wi-Fi printer to print the label.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

From the customer perspective I always think, "Would I drive there and pick it up to save that shipping cost?" Except in rare cases, the answer is no. Certainly you would never cross an ocean to save $50. Shipping seems ridiculously cheap if you think about it that way.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
From the customer perspective I always think, "Would I drive there and pick it up to save that shipping cost?" Except in rare cases, the answer is no. Certainly you would never cross an ocean to save $50. Shipping seems ridiculously cheap if you think about it that way.

Speaking of that, I've had people who live all the way across Phoenix ask if they can come pick something up.
This is often an hour each way to drive here.

I tell them it's cheaper for me to ship it than for them to pay the gas.
I have never had anyone pay the shipping instead.

I don't even mention the time involved - I guess their time is worth nothing.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

It’s hard to imagine someone hasn’t managed to monetize Lyft to create a Milgram-ship path based on existing drivers for medium to big packages ( not engines and crap like that)

An hour in the car…

$15 wages
$15-36 car cost based on 20cpm-Federal rate

Ergo $30-50 cost.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

I just tried to order a $13 part from a vender 3 hours away and they wanted $42 to ship it. My daughter lives in that city and went there to pick it up for me. She was told that they do not sell locally over the counter, go home and order it on line.

I ordered the same part from on a different vendor who is 17 hours away and it is being shipped for free. You guys go ahead and tell me someone is not gouging on shipping here! This by the way is all within Canada.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s hard to imagine someone hasn’t managed to monetize Lyft to create a Milgram-ship path based on existing drivers for medium to big packages ( not engines and crap like that)

An hour in the car…

$15 wages
$15-36 car cost based on 20cpm-Federal rate

Ergo $30-50 cost.

Federal milage rate is $0.655 now, not $0.20....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

Weigh it, measure it, tell them to send a call tag.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

I tell someone that that complains, to find a cheaper service and i'll use it.

I've been using ShipStation through my Paypal account and their prices for USPS and UPS are cheaper than going direct to those carriers.

You can use ShipStation and get the Paypal discount without receiving payment via Paypal.

https://paypal.shipstation.com/sales-orders/new

It cost me $100 to ship a carbon fiber bicycle frame from New York to California, not because of it's weight (under 2#) but because of the size and insured value.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I just tried to order a $13 part from a vender 3 hours away and they wanted $42 to ship it. My daughter lives in that city and went there to pick it up for me. She was told that they do not sell locally over the counter, go home and order it on line.

I ordered the same part from on a different vendor who is 17 hours away and it is being shipped for free. You guys go ahead and tell me someone is not gouging on shipping here! This by the way is all within Canada.

They probably didn't even have it at their location.
I hate drop shipping.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

I just ordered a set of front brake pads for my wife's car. I get them from a online vendor that's run out of a dealership 10 miles away. I asked if I can drive there and save on the shipping,b but they are online only. Even though the dealership has a parts counter. I was told, two different companies so no over the counter purchases.

Even with the cost of shipping the pads were $40 cheaper than if I went to the parts counter.

Bottom line is I save money, but it's just stupid.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

shipping is crazy high, Bus trailer hitch cost over $100 to ship from Mi to TX Rolling Eyes
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

To many people used to Amazon Prime
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

Skandix in Germany charges a flat , high fee for international shipments. From the vendor side putting a number on it eliminates having to deal with shipping whiners. I consolidate orders , pay it , then share costs with friends at the ship/N rate and reship here with USPS
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
oprn wrote:

They probably didn't even have it at their location.
I hate drop shipping.

I think you are right! The part was not in fact in stock at their site and that is why she was turned away. That would also explain the large variance in shipping costs.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I've been using ShipStation through my Paypal account and their prices for USPS and UPS are cheaper than going direct to those carriers.

have you tried Pirate Ship yet? shocked me that I was able to ship wheels and tires from FL to my house under $40 each. 48lbs, 27x27x10
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

Ref UK>USA shipping, there are some companies a lot cheaper than others.
Most UK guys wouldn’t know where to start though…and will use the obvious shipper…which is likely to be one of the more expensive options. It’s a bit of an art finding a decent price, especially if the item is bulky.

Prices have risen here too. But comparatively, USA shipping generally seems high. Guess it’s the large distances involved within the USA.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF is it about people outside the continental USA and shipping Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Glenn wrote:

have you tried Pirate Ship yet? shocked me that I was able to ship wheels and tires from FL to my house under $40 each. 48lbs, 27x27x10

Greyhound is another option for larger items.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: