Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forgotten VW on Youtube
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Forgotten VW on Youtube Reply with quote

Don't see many vids on the Type 4 but this one popped up recently.

Link

Enjoy.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Forgotten VW on Youtube Reply with quote

Yes, it’s a nice video on an early 411. He has some of his facts incorrect. The whitewall tires are are not right for this car. I have original german sales brochures for these early 411s and none had white side walls. I also was never in love with the single glass headlamp enclosures, but that’s all a matter of your own taste.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Forgotten VW on Youtube Reply with quote

Didn't he think we called the Type4's a Dasher here in the US. Seem to remember that stuck out to me during the Video and I starting telling my wife , who was sitting next to me, no, that's not right at all.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Forgotten VW on Youtube Reply with quote

Yeah, he was incorrect about Type 4s and the Dasher. Two entirely different animals. The Dasher took over where the Type 4 left off though.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Forgotten VW on Youtube Reply with quote

Yes....and the Dasher was only called the "Dasher" here in The US.

It was called the Passat in Europe. It was officially known as the Passat B-1 series

I was an Army brat. I had a few other Army/military brat friends when I finally moved to Oklahoma and started the 10th grade.
Anyway, I had another military brat friend whose family had a striking green "Dasher" four door with black dealer applied "Passat" graphics and stripes. Sharp car. It also had a dealer sport wheel kit. Sharp car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Imagine this car with a black stripe kit and "Passat" along the lower door edge and lower profile wheels similar to GTI wheels. This color.

I had just started driving in 1978/79 and my first car was a 1972 VW 411 four door.

When my car was parked next to my friends Dasher/Passat....we could REALLY see the shape/form lineage....in the overall profile, length...and especially in the angle of the rear quarter windows.

Years later in college (after my 411 was wrecked...T-boned by a 4000 lb American car) when I got a four door 412.....the sharper lines of the 412 made the lineage even more clear,. At that point in time I had a friend in college with a white four door Dasher to compare to.

I really wanted a Dasher. Between the time my 411 was totaled and I was shopping for another used car (poor college student that I was)...I very nearly bought a turquoise blue, four speed two door Dasher. It had a lot of miles but was nice.

The problems I started hearing about and seeing with Dashers through the 80's and the 90's are that it was kind of frail....rust issues....transmission issues etc.

Of course some of the same things were said of the 411 and 412. I think a lot of it was how the owners maintained them.

I have a whole page of VW 411 and 412 video links from Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMTnXQPJ1XQ

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: